Adding to the sense of drama, police arrested the glamorous singer just
before she hit the stage at a nightclub in Frankfurt, where she was due
to give a solo concert. "Nadja Benaissa had unprotected sex with three
men in 2004 and 2006, and although she knew that she herself was HIV
positive, she didn't tell them," Ger Neuber, a prosecutor in the city of
Darmstadt, near Frankfurt, tells TIME. "Her former lover filed charges
against her last year. He is HIV positive and suspects that she is
responsible. We arrested her and she's been remanded in custody because
there is a danger that she might repeat this." (See pictures of the global fight against AIDS.)

German prosecutors have apparently been investigating the case since
last June and their inquiry is ongoing. "There have been other similar
cases in Germany," says Neuber, "but this is unusual because Ms Benaissa
is such a celebrity." If found guilty, the singer faces a sentence of
up to ten years in prison. Many of her fans say they were shocked to
hear the news and according to reports in the German media, they say
they're standing by their girl. "Stay strong Nadja," one fan wrote on a
website.

Benaissa was born in Frankfurt and has a Moroccan father and a
Serbian-German mother. She made her name in 2000, when she and four
other young women beat 4,500 other hopefuls in the German version of the
reality TV show "Popstars." Recruited to join the band "No Angels"
(think Germany's answer to the Spice Girls) they became overnight hits,
selling more than five million records and notching up four chart
toppers including one in Brazil. The band split in 2003, burnt-out after
their rocket to fame. Four of the original five, including Benaissa,
reformed in 2007 and went on to represent Germany at the 2008 Eurovision
Song Contest in Belgrade. Their catchy single "Disappear" failed to
impress the Euro judges finishing 23rd.

Band manager, Khalid Schroeder says Benaissa's arrest is the result of
"a witch-hunt against Nadja. She is being prejudged. The investigation
is still continuing and there are no hard facts yet. This is unfair. We
want her to be released as soon as possible."

On April 15, Benaissa's legal team successfully filed an injunction in
the Berlin State against the Springer publishing group, owners of
newspapers Bild and Welt, banning publication of the inquiry and
circumstances of the detention of Nadja Benaissa. Many German media
outlets continue to report the case however and Springer is appealing
the decision.

AIDS groups have criticised the authorities' handling of the arrest and
have warned against a rush to criminalise the transmission of HIV.
"Based on the information that we have about the detention of Nadja
Benaissa, we think she should be released," says Carolin Vierneisel, a
spokeswoman for the AIDS organisation Deutsche AIDS-Hilfe. "When it
comes to consensual sex, whether protected or unprotected, we talk about
shared responsibility," she says. "The criminalisation of HIV
transmission, as shown in this case, doesn't support HIV prevention
efforts. On the contrary, it fosters the stigmatisation of HIV positive
people."

The band's management say "No Angels" is planning to go on tour in the
summer and a new album is due out in the next couple of months. For now,
the show goes on.

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1891838,00.html#ixzz0xiHzmHCO
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 4:16:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 4:18:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Slut.
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 4:19:17 AM EDT
[#3]
bitch !

i'm talking about Justice...
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 4:21:42 AM EDT
[#4]
how about that girl...second from the right?
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 4:21:51 AM EDT
[#5]
I think it should be an attempted murder charge for each person she slept with since knowing she had HIV/AIDS.
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 4:22:07 AM EDT
[#6]
She should of been whoring here in the U.S.

Obama wants to decriminalize the transmission of HIV.
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 4:22:24 AM EDT
[#7]
What a cunt
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 4:23:03 AM EDT
[#8]
As a woman, it's sometimes difficult for me to anticipate what men will find attractive, but I gotta tell you Ms Benaissa isn't what I'd call glamorous.  She looks like death sucking a lemon even without the flames shooting out of her head, and if she pulls her shoulders back any further trying to show off her breasts, she's apt to dislocate her collar bones.  Oh yeah, and her behavior toward those men was unconscionable.

Jane
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 4:23:19 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I think it should be an attempted murder charge for each person she slept with since knowing she had HIV/AIDS.

No it should be a murder charge cause she sure as shit killed him.

Link Posted: 8/26/2010 4:23:48 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I wouldn't feel sorry for her partners if they knew and still went ahead with it.

Not telling and getting down and dirty needs to be a crime.

Link Posted: 8/26/2010 4:23:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 4:24:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Germans having sex, poop thread.
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 4:24:52 AM EDT
[#13]
They all look like trannys to me
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 4:25:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Germany is weird. Not Japan weird, but David Hasselhoff weird. Those women aren't hot enough to be a pop group.

ETA revised opinion of hotness upon further review.
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 4:26:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

That one has herpes.
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 4:36:57 AM EDT
[#16]
circumcision for the win.
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 4:38:05 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Murder for the ones the AIDS has shown up in, attempted murder on the rest.

Link Posted: 8/26/2010 4:39:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
As a woman, it's sometimes difficult for me to anticipate what men will find attractive, but I gotta tell you Ms Benaissa isn't what I'd call glamorous.  She looks like death sucking a lemon even without the flames shooting out of her head, and if she pulls her shoulders back any further trying to show off her breasts, she's apt to dislocate her collar bones.  Oh yeah, and her behavior toward those men was unconscionable.

Jane

While I agree that if she knew she was HIV+ it is unconscionable behavior, the men should have practiced safe sex.  I have a difficult time feeling sorry for a man who has bareback anal sex with a woman and then cries that he gets HIV.  This is no different than men crying about child support but having no problem ejaculating inside a woman 9 months earlier.  Personal responsibility and all that.
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 4:45:20 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

bulgarian but not pretty !

Link Posted: 8/26/2010 5:43:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jane

While I agree that if she knew she was HIV+ it is unconscionable behavior, the men should have practiced safe sex.  I have a difficult time feeling sorry for a man who has bareback anal sex with a woman and then cries that he gets HIV.  This is no different than men crying about child support but having no problem ejaculating inside a woman 9 months earlier.  Personal responsibility and all that.

One thing I love about this place is that no matter what is said, some one will reply with "Yeah, but..."  

The ethical aspects of this woman's behavior and that of the men are totally separate issues.  I chose not to address the latter as I had no desire to spend the rest of today and half of tomorrow getting beat over the head (and rightly) for blaming the victims.  In my ethical calculus, foolishness, while lamentable, is not in the same category as deliberate malice which is simply wrong.

Jane

Link Posted: 8/26/2010 5:54:37 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Germany is weird. Not Japan weird, but David Hasselhoff weird. Those women aren't hot enough to be a pop group.

ETA revised opinion of hotness upon further review.

Confused, I am. When I spent 2-3 weeks in Germany, there was good looking girls EVERYWHERE. This is the best they can come up with for a pop group. LOL.
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 5:56:37 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Jane

One thing I love about this place is that no matter what is said, some one will reply with "Yeah, but..."  

The ethical aspects of this woman's behavior and that of the men are totally separate issues.  I chose not to address the latter as I had no desire to spend the rest of today and half of tomorrow getting beat over the head (and rightly) for blaming the victims.  In my ethical calculus, foolishness, while lamentable, is not in the same category as deliberate malice which is simply wrong.

Jane

Stop being sensible.

This is GD, not Team.

Have a day.

Link Posted: 8/26/2010 6:03:53 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is how it should work.
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 6:19:53 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sounds good to me

Link Posted: 8/26/2010 7:06:10 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is how it should work.

+1 If this happened to me I'd make her disappear.   When I was single I ALWAYS wore protection.

Link Posted: 8/26/2010 7:12:33 AM EDT
[#26]

HIV Positive
German Pop Star
Freed From Jail

<o:p>
</o:p>

April 25.

Nadja Benaissa

German pop star and
member of the group No Angels,

Nadja Benaissa,

has been freed from jail,

released on bail, pending her criminal case for infecting men with
HIV,
without telling them she tested positive for the disease.</o:p>

No Angels

HIV girl group star bailed

April 22, 2009 12:00am - THE sexy
pop star police claim deliberately gave her
partners HIV has
been bailed after spending 10 days in
jail.

A magistrate granted the German
girl group member Nadja Benaissa, 26, bail but prosecutors
emphasised charges against her had not been dropped and the No
Angels singer still faced up to
ten years in jail...

Link Posted: 8/26/2010 7:18:19 AM EDT
[#27]
DO NOT WANT

WIth the HIV or otherwise.

Link Posted: 8/26/2010 7:27:52 AM EDT
[#28]
In before someone says they would still hit it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 7:32:53 AM EDT
[#29]
If you read the German mags and believe them, here is what happened:

The guy who got infected was a friend of Benaissa's Aunt, and MUCH older than she was at the time (17). She's being charged as a minor as a result.

If you're over 20 and into banging 17 year olds, pop-starlets or not, thinking you got lucky because she didn't make you cover your willie, you're a douche of the highest order, and deserve everything you get.

The fact that said douche then got sand in his mangina and went to the po-po a few years later is also ... uh... deserving of some questions. And for some reason, his name isn't being published. Hm. If I had been the cop taking the report, he'd have been charged with statutory rape. End of story.
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 7:35:03 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Yep
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 11:37:59 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Jane

Who said it was anal?

Link Posted: 8/26/2010 1:04:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jane

Jane

My comment was not a "Yeah, but ..." but instead a "Yes, and ...".  Her actions were unconscionable and the men were dogs.  I agreed with you and added exactly what you say you wanted to add, which was that the men were thinking with their dicks.  You managed to find dissent where there was none.
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 3:12:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jane

Jane

My comment was not a "Yeah, but ..." but instead a "Yes, and ...".  Her actions were unconscionable and the men were dogs.  I agreed with you and added exactly what you say you wanted to add, which was that the men were thinking with their dicks.  You managed to find dissent where there was none.

I think you'd better read what I posted again.  At no point did I agree with your "blame the victim" approach, and I clearly said as much.  If this woman had been unaware she was HIV positive, you would have a point.  She was, in fact, aware of her medical condition and this completely changes the ethical picture.  Her behavior was criminal; theirs was merely foolish.  The two are in no way equivalent.  By dwelling on the lesser behavior, you merely clouded the issue.

Jane

Link Posted: 8/26/2010 3:57:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jane

Jane

I think you'd better read what I posted again.  At no point did I agree with your "blame the victim" approach, and I clearly said as much.  If this woman had been unaware she was HIV positive, you would have a point.  She was, in fact, aware of her medical condition and this completely changes the ethical picture.  Her behavior was criminal; theirs was merely foolish.  The two are in no way equivalent.  By dwelling on the lesser behavior, you merely clouded the issue.

Jane

They are not victims as much as you want to paint them as such.  You would have a point if the men were raped.  They were not.  No one held them down and forcefully inserted their penis into her vagina.

They chose to have unprotected sex knowing that one of the possible outcomes was contracting HIV.  They played Russian Roulette and lost.  'Foolish' is driving a little too fast on a wet surface.  What they did was colossally stupid.

At no point did I agree with your "blame the victim" approach, and I clearly said as much.

Actually, what you said was:
QA
I chose not to address the latter as I had no desire to spend the rest of today and half of tomorrow getting beat over the head (and rightly) for blaming the victims.

So at some level you do believe they are not victims but you don't want to defend your opinion.
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 3:59:43 PM EDT
[#35]
The wages of fornication. *shrug*
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 4:09:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Her actions aside, how is it possible to prove his HIV came from her? After all, it did happen years ago and since he had unprotected sex with her, who's to say he hasn't been having unprotected sex with other women....or men?  Or sharing needles?

While he may have contracted it from her, I would think this would be a difficult case to prosecute.

The article is a bit confusing, but it appears the other two guys were not infected
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 4:17:18 PM EDT
[#37]
It should be a capital offense to transmit HIV, no matter how informed the partner is.

I would go so far as to say that anyone who is HIV positive needs to be quarantined.  Fuck it, if you have a disease that is incurable, and 100% lethal, you are a walking, talking biological weapon.
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 4:19:41 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

In before someone says they would still hit it.

with a 12 century mace

Link Posted: 8/26/2010 4:24:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
It should be a capital offense to transmit HIV, no matter how informed the partner is.

I would go so far as to say that anyone who is HIV positive needs to be quarantined.  Fuck it, if you have a disease that is incurable, and 100% lethal, you are a walking, talking biological weapon.

Tell that to EMTs/nurses/doctors/medics that have been infected in the course of their duties...   Jail those that knowingly infect others, that is reasonable.
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 4:25:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jane

Jane

Jane

They are not victims as much as you want to paint them as such.  You would have a point if the men were raped.  They were not.  No one held them down and forcefully inserted their penis into her vagina.

They chose to have unprotected sex knowing that one of the possible outcomes was contracting HIV.  They played Russian Roulette and lost.  'Foolish' is driving a little too fast on a wet surface.  What they did was colossally stupid.

At no point did I agree with your "blame the victim" approach, and I clearly said as much.

Actually, what you said was:
QA
I chose not to address the latter as I had no desire to spend the rest of today and half of tomorrow getting beat over the head (and rightly) for blaming the victims.

So at some level you do believe they are not victims but you don't want to defend your opinion.

Your passion for proving me wrong is degrading your reading comprehension.   Are you capable of understanding the significance the red text to the meaning of that sentence?  You would do better to concern yourself with reading what I wrote rather than telling me, and erroneously, what I believe.

The men in this case were assuredly victims of this woman's criminal behavior.  Why else would many, if not most, of the other posters be calling for her to be charged with, at a minimum, attempted murder.  Do you consider attempted murder a victimless crime?  The woman's behavior was criminal.  Regardless of how foolish the men's behavior was, it does not rise to the level of criminal.  I understand this conflicts with your blame the victim mentality, that doesn't alter the fact that her behavior was criminal and theirs was not.

Jane

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top