Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/8/2010 9:15:19 AM EDT
People have been telling me about the penetration of a .50 BMG round but I find it hard to believe that a single round can have as much penetration as they say unless it was a Hollywood movie. A few examples:

A .50 BMG round can go through 6 engine blocks while still mounted in the cars. So 6 cars and 6 engine blocks, one round.
I've been told a single .50 BMG round can penetrate an entire downtown building, from front to back.
I've been told if the earth was flat a .50 BMG round has enough velocity to travel the entire distance of the earth.

Can someone tell me the truth about how far the round can penetrate?
Link Posted: 4/8/2010 9:17:16 AM EDT
[#1]
lol

None of that is true.  1 V8 engine block would probably stop one depending on where it was hit.
Link Posted: 4/8/2010 9:19:33 AM EDT
[#2]
25,000 miles, huh?  That would have one hell of a recoil.
Link Posted: 4/8/2010 9:20:28 AM EDT
[#3]

First off the type of 50 round has a lot to do with the amount of penetration. The only one that has potential is the office building one.
Most of them are glass with a lot of drywall.... as long as the round didn't hit a supporting structure.  

I hear this is what brought down WTC#7  
Link Posted: 4/8/2010 9:30:35 AM EDT
[#4]
It's just a big 30-06.  It's not fucking magic.
Link Posted: 4/8/2010 9:31:02 AM EDT
[#5]
You know the space shuttle that disintegrated ? Yep, it was hit with a 50 cal. Bullet.   TT
Link Posted: 4/8/2010 9:32:28 AM EDT
[#6]

I've been told if the earth was flat a .50 BMG round has enough velocity to travel the entire distance of the earth.

Only if there were no atmosphere and gravity.
Link Posted: 4/8/2010 9:32:56 AM EDT
[#7]
the craters on the moon were formed by testing 50BMG back in the early days of that round's development.
Link Posted: 4/8/2010 9:35:12 AM EDT
[#8]
This would prob. have the most penetration...m903

Link Posted: 4/8/2010 9:35:52 AM EDT
[#9]
I shot three rounds of 50BMG in our indoor range a few years ago.  The berm is constructed of rubber fill (like ground of truck tires) and covered with rubber mats.  Distance: 25 yards.

A.  It was really loud inside
B.  I shot from the prone.  The blast blew all the paint up within five feet.
C.  Round #1 penetrated about a foot and stopped.
D.  Round #2 penetrated a few inches, did a 45 degree turn up and popped out of the rubber mat about four feet up the berm and just laid there on the berm.
E.  Round #3 performed about like round #1 except the rubber fill started to smolder so I stopped before I burned the place down.
F.  It was really loud.
Link Posted: 4/8/2010 9:36:54 AM EDT
[#10]
.50 BMG- It's the Chuck Norris of ammo calibers.
Link Posted: 4/8/2010 9:37:06 AM EDT
[#11]
It does go through schools and can be used as an ASAT.
Link Posted: 4/8/2010 9:38:58 AM EDT
[#12]
As I recall, about half an inch of armor plate will stop most .50BMG rounds. Some of the specialized armor piercing rounds might do a bit better. But I doubt that any would penetrate an inch of armor. If I had to guess I would say that an inch of mild steel would stop the typical .50BMG round. So, it maybe has twice the penetration of a 30-06 rifle.

Velocity is in the 3,000fps range which is the same as the 5.56mm M855 round when fired from a 20” barrel. The greater ballistic coefficient of the round means that it will hold its velocity longer (giving it a greater range) but it’s not anything exceptional.

All cartridges use the same physics and there is no magic. The .50BMG is simply a scaled up rifle cartridge. It’s powerful, but there’s nothing magical about it.
Link Posted: 4/8/2010 9:39:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
the craters on the moon were formed by testing 50BMG back in the early days of that round's development.

Proof... here's one seen through a NightForce scope

Link Posted: 4/8/2010 9:41:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
As I recall, about half an inch of armor plate will stop most .50BMG rounds. Some of the specialized armor piercing rounds might do a bit better. But I doubt that any would penetrate an inch of armor. If I had to guess I would say that an inch of mild steel would stop the typical .50BMG round. So, it maybe has twice the penetration of a 30-06 rifle.

Velocity is in the 3,000fps range which is the same as the 5.56mm M855 round when fired from a 20” barrel. The greater ballistic coefficient of the round means that it will hold its velocity longer (giving it a greater range) but it’s not anything exceptional.

All cartridges use the same physics and there is no magic. The .50BMG is simply a scaled up rifle cartridge. It’s powerful, but there’s nothing magical about it.

your logic and truths are not welcome in this thread.
Link Posted: 4/8/2010 9:42:21 AM EDT
[#15]
When I was with the 15th MEU, a Huey gunner had an ND on the flight deck of the USS Tarawa.  The round went through the ships bulk-head and struck a Marine  that was standing in flight deck triage area.  Not sure what the round penetrated after that.

I don't know how thick the steel bulk-head is in the super structure of an LHA is, but it's got to be pretty thick.
Link Posted: 4/8/2010 9:45:53 AM EDT
[#16]
According to an Army urban combat FM I read in '89, .50 BMG is the smallest projectile that will go through a standard filled sandbag.
Link Posted: 4/8/2010 9:47:57 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

then any baseball would do the same

Link Posted: 4/8/2010 9:48:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/8/2010 9:50:23 AM EDT
[#19]
As the owner of a couple different 50's here's my take:

1.  6 engine blocks ain't happening.  You can make it through 1 IF you hit it right.  I have experience with this.  80 something impala shooting staight on with AP rounds and one APIT.  3 shots.  1 missed the engine and took out a few engine accesories and pierced the brake pedal.  1 hit the engine on the top busted the intake and carb and shot straight up at least a hundred feet before it quit burning (APIT).  The last pierced most of the block and I was able to dig the penetrator out of the dash.  It didn't make it to the drivers compartment.  Not one round did a true through and through.  

2.  It might be able to go through a building.  It depends entirely on what it hits as it goes through.  Drywall isn't much of a barrier...

3.  The bullet travels slower than a 300 mag.  Its not a miracle round.  Its just big.

My greatest "penetration" was shooting a burm with ball ammo.  One round went in the dirt, deflected up somewhat, travled through the ground 6ft, and exited.  Completely a fluke deal.
Link Posted: 4/8/2010 9:50:44 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

People have been telling me about the penetration of a .50 BMG round but I find it hard to believe that a single round can have as much penetration as they say unless it was a Hollywood movie. A few examples:

A .50 BMG round can go through 6 engine blocks while still mounted in the cars. So 6 cars and 6 engine blocks, one round.

I've been told a single .50 BMG round can penetrate an entire downtown building, from front to back.

If you are serious about questions 1 and 3, you need to go back to school.

Link Posted: 4/8/2010 9:52:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I've been told a single .50 BMG round can penetrate an entire downtown building, from front to back.           Depends what the building is made of.

Hope that helps.
Link Posted: 4/8/2010 9:52:38 AM EDT
[#22]
I know for a fact that at 400 yards, surplus ammo won't penetrate a 1/2" piece of steel plate (cut from a road cover plate).  The jacket disintegrates, and the core gets embedded and the tail end sticks out like a rivet.
Link Posted: 4/8/2010 9:52:58 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

First off the type of 50 round has a lot to do with the amount of penetration. The only one that has potential is the office building one.
Most of them are glass with a lot of drywall.... as long as the round didn't hit a supporting structure.  

So, what you're saying, is that it can, in fact, shoot through schools?
Link Posted: 4/8/2010 9:53:05 AM EDT
[#24]
It will penetrate a satellite, or take down an airliner.   Duh.  
Link Posted: 4/8/2010 9:55:16 AM EDT
[#25]
I think it could easily shoot through most downtown buildings since they are mostly glass....
Link Posted: 4/8/2010 9:55:22 AM EDT
[#26]
It goes through everything.

everything?

EVERYTHING!
Link Posted: 4/8/2010 9:57:06 AM EDT
[#27]
I was told a couple weeks ago that you don't even need to hit somebody with a .50, just get it within a few inches of them and the sheer force of the round slicing through the air will take off limbs. It must be true, it was in a movie!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/8/2010 9:58:22 AM EDT
[#28]
This is almost as bad as the "it'll kill you with the shockwave" people.  Even had a former marine buddy tell me that.

Edit:  Beat to it ^
Link Posted: 4/8/2010 10:00:38 AM EDT
[#29]
An AP round will go through 4" of boiler plate steel, 16" of reinforced concrete, and, 8' of soft pine.
I believe I read this in a Military Manual ,IIRC.
Link Posted: 4/8/2010 10:00:58 AM EDT
[#30]
dont take this the wrong way... no offense intended... but did the folks that told you that crap still live with their parents?
Link Posted: 4/8/2010 10:01:51 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/8/2010 10:02:16 AM EDT
[#32]
If I remember right It takes about 25 to 30 rounds of .50BMG to punch a man hole in 8 inch reinforced concrete according to what I read in a M-2 training manual.
http://www.militarypubs.com/field%20manuals/FM23-65.htm
http://usmilitary.about.com/od/armymanuals/a/arfm2365.htm

from Wiki:
Ammunition
There are several different types of ammunition used in the M2HB and AN aircraft guns. From World War II through the Vietnam War, the big Browning was used with standard ball, armor-piercing (AP), armor-piercing incendiary (API), and armor-piercing incendiary tracer (APIT) rounds. All .50 ammunition designated "armor-piercing" was required to completely perforate 0.875" (22.2 mm) of hardened steel armor plate at a distance of 100 yards (91 m), and 0.75" (19 mm) at 547 yards (500 m). The API and APIT rounds left a flash, report, and smoke on contact, useful in detecting strikes on enemy targets; they were primarily intended to incapacitate thin-skinned and lightly armored vehicles and aircraft, while igniting their fuel tanks.[9]

Current ammunition types include: M33 Ball (706.7 grain) for personnel and light material targets, M17 tracer, M8 API (622.5 grain), M20 API-T (619 grain), and M962 SLAP-T. The latter ammunition along with the M903 SLAP (Saboted Light Armor Penetrator) round can perforate 1.34 in (34 mm) of HHA (high hard armor, or face-hardened steel plate) at 500 meters, 0.91 in (23 mm) at 1,200 meters, and 0.75 in (19 mm) at 1,500 meters. This is achieved by using a .30 inch diameter tungsten penetrator. The SLAP-T adds a tracer charge to the base of the ammunition. This ammunition was type classified in 1993.[10][11]

When firing blanks, a large blank-firing adapter (BFA) must be used to keep the gas pressure high enough to allow the action to cycle. The adapter is very distinctive, attaching to the muzzle with three rods extending back to the base. The BFA can often be seen on M2s during peacetime operations.

Link Posted: 4/8/2010 10:02:45 AM EDT
[#33]
It's just a heavy bullet. It's not magic. I will post some pics shortly, beside some .223 fmj for comparison.
Link Posted: 4/8/2010 10:09:56 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 4/8/2010 10:10:14 AM EDT
[#35]
This thread sounds like something the Brady campaign would cook up to convince people that we need to ban .50 bmg

OH NOEZ!! One round can kill all the 9th graders in the world even if you didn't line them up !!!! And take out the engine blocks on all the school buses in the parking lot, keeping those children from exkaping!! BAN IT!!!
Link Posted: 4/8/2010 10:11:28 AM EDT
[#36]
THe truth..

50 BMG API vs hard drives...
http://www.hardocp.com/news/2009/03/21/50_bmg_api_vs_18_hard_drives

As to the OPS's questions. I bet a 50 can clear a office building as long as it does not hit any serious structure. lots of air in a building.
Link Posted: 4/8/2010 10:17:51 AM EDT
[#37]
It will go through at least 54 elementary schools, including 87 1st graders, and still have enough power left to destroy a bus full of nuns on their way to mass.
Link Posted: 4/8/2010 10:20:40 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

You would still need gravity, or else it would go off into outerspace tangentially from the earth's surface.

The presense of gravity would give it orbit, causing it to circumscribe the earth.  Like satellites do.

They're constantly falling toward the earth, but have a enough horizontal velocity that they're in a constant state of missing the earth as the surface curves away from it.
Link Posted: 4/8/2010 10:23:39 AM EDT
[#39]
First is a lighter for thickness comparison:

Next is 50 bmg PMC ball ammo with the bullet stuck in the plate to the left of some .223 fmj round craters (Also bottom Right to the left of the drilled hole is a 50 bmg api round that bounced off the edge.):

The last one is another PMC Ball bullet stuck in the plate to the left of a .223 fmj crater:

Link Posted: 4/8/2010 10:25:18 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Proof... here's one seen through a NightForce scope

http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss13/robdodson/moon.jpg

That's impressive.  I hope to one day be able to afford nice optics.  

Link Posted: 4/8/2010 10:28:51 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

I shot three rounds of 50BMG in our indoor range a few years ago.  The berm is constructed of rubber fill (like ground of truck tires) and covered with rubber mats.  Distance: 25 yards.

D.  Round #2 penetrated a few inches, did a 45 degree turn up and popped out of the rubber mat about four feet up the berm and just laid there on the berm.

E.  Round #3 performed about like round #1 except the rubber fill started to smolder so I stopped before I burned the place down.

F.  It was really loud.

You're doing great.

Link Posted: 4/8/2010 10:29:54 AM EDT
[#42]
Plaster's Ultimate Sniper lists the following ( based on US .mil specs, I believe) for .50 bmg AP.

Pine...96"
Steel...1.8"
Aluminum...3.5"
Dry sand...24"

EIGHT FEET OF PINE!!!

I shot mine at a piece of 8620 tool steel that was 1" thick and 8" square. It was sitting on the dirt 100yds away. The block was thrown about 15 feet back and up the berm. Bullet didn't penetrate because material absorbed all the energy but it sure made one hell of a crater. It was only a ball round anyway, not AP.
Link Posted: 4/8/2010 10:32:31 AM EDT
[#43]
50 BMG has nearly the penetration of birdshot fired from a 12 guage pump action.

Nearly.

However, it does not have the ability to kill everything in the area without aiming, so..........

Advantage: Birdshot

Link Posted: 4/8/2010 10:39:11 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

It could be done if the shooter was standing 1 mile south of the North pole when the earth was flattened about it's axis and the round was fired at approximately 30 degree incline. Now, standing at the equator... Who ever said that should turn the rifle around and prove it will penetrate their skull.
Link Posted: 4/8/2010 10:53:29 AM EDT
[#45]
would this help  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9lMViBr6d8
Link Posted: 4/8/2010 10:57:02 AM EDT
[#46]
A .50BMG round by itself won't penetrate human skin. But it goes so fast that it warps the time-space continuum and creates a 1/2" wormhole to a parallel universe filled with demons. The shockwave following the bullet causes a pressure differential between the two planes of reality. A high velocity plasma jet of concentrated evil is what really does all the damage. That's why the CIA uses .50bmg for their black ops volcano creation program, but OTOH a round will always be deflected by a Bible in a man's pocket. Read the warnings on a box of ammo, it's all there.
Link Posted: 4/8/2010 11:04:22 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Quoted:

F.  It was really loud.

You're doing great.  

I've limited my 50 cal exploits to the outdoor range since then.  I hate painting.
Link Posted: 4/8/2010 11:05:28 AM EDT
[#48]
Snipers special on History channel a month or so ago showed a Marine sniper in in Iraq with explosive tip round penetrate a 9" concrete wall and eliminate 3 martyrs on the other side from a mile away. "One shot, 3 kills", the new sniper motto.

They had him make a similar shot, for the show, through a concrete wall into ballistic jelly. Pretty cool, the round fragmented out the backside of the wall, taking chunks of the wall with it as add'l projectiles, in a fan pattern. Pretty deadly shot.

American snipers have the coolest toys!
Link Posted: 4/8/2010 11:08:52 AM EDT
[#49]
AP at @ 1000 yards 3/4' steel plate..

Link Posted: 4/8/2010 11:11:37 AM EDT
[#50]
A .50 cal round flying a foot over your head will suck your brain out through your ear! Hell, it will pull your arms off and get your sister pregnant!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top