Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/13/2018 1:00:37 AM EDT
Need update my D80, getting a little dated...

thinking about the D7200 used/referb
thoughts?

currently I have
Nikon D80
18-135mm DX 3.5-5.6 G ED
85mm 1.8 AF Nikkor
50mm 1.8 AF Nikkor
70-200mm 4-5.6 AF Nikkor
60mm 2.8D AF Micro Nikkor
28-70mm 3.5 - 4.5 (N80 kit lens)
SB-900 Flash
sb-25 Flash

Good Deals?

@northpolar
Link Posted: 3/13/2018 1:21:39 AM EDT
[#1]
I loved my D80. currently have a D300 and love it. if I ever got another body it would be D300s for SD card and video. dirt cheap these days. and full featured with focus motor and what not.
Link Posted: 3/13/2018 1:26:54 AM EDT
[#2]
You didn't say what you use your camera for.

Go for refurb'd D7200.

The D7200 is head & shoulders above your D80, as a mater of fact even the basic D3xxx is way better. I am still using a D7100, and I just bought a refur'd D500.

I have a D40X, that has >150,000 clicks on the shutter and it still runs like a champ. Nikon DSLRs are built like a tank.
I am going to give my daughter the D40X since her P&S camera conked out.
Link Posted: 3/13/2018 2:32:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Yup, I’d definitely snag a refurb D7200 as an upgrade. Nikon doesn’t have them on sale currently so it’s $800 or so, but I’ll see what I can dig up tomorrow if I’m able. Can’t promise but will try.

Edit: some searching before bed.  Prices may or may not include shipping.  B&H looks like the best deal right now IMO.  If Nikon does a 10% off sale like they usually do (no idea when that would be, it would be within $20 of B&H though)  Adorama or B&H would be my bet.  Both are decent, but I side toward B&H because Adorama charges a lot of shipping IMO.

$790 refurb B&H
Amazon: No Nikon authorized vendors selling it.  No bueno.  Shipped by Amazon, but not sold by.
Nikon USA $850
Adorama $709 + shipping
KEH Used EX+ (90-96% condition) $755
Link Posted: 3/13/2018 3:03:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yup, I’d definitely snag a refurb D7200 as an upgrade. Nikon doesn’t have them on sale currently so it’s $800 or so, but I’ll see what I can dig up tomorrow if I’m able. Can’t promise but will try. .
View Quote
Thanks

looking forward to info
Link Posted: 3/13/2018 3:04:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Thanks

looking forward to info
View Quote
Just updated my post.  Tomorrow looks like I'll be on the phone with lawyers all day, so I knocked out some searching tonight.

Btw, if you can swing it at some point, look at the now discontinued AF-S 70-300mm IF ED VR lens.  Nikon has it refurb for $400 right now and is a downright fantastic telephoto if you want something longer.
Link Posted: 3/13/2018 3:19:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Just updated my post.  Tomorrow looks like I'll be on the phone with lawyers all day, so I knocked out some searching tonight.

Btw, if you can swing it at some point, look at the now discontinued AF-S 70-300mm IF ED VR lens.  Nikon has it refurb for $400 right now and is a downright fantastic telephoto if you want something longer.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Yup, I’d definitely snag a refurb D7200 as an upgrade. Nikon doesn’t have them on sale currently so it’s $800 or so, but I’ll see what I can dig up tomorrow if I’m able. Can’t promise but will try.

Edit: some searching before bed.  Prices may or may not include shipping.  B&H looks like the best deal right now IMO.  If Nikon does a 10% off sale like they usually do (no idea when that would be, it would be within $20 of B&H though)  Adorama or B&H would be my bet.  Both are decent, but I side toward B&H because Adorama charges a lot of shipping IMO.

$790 refurb B&H
Amazon: No Nikon authorized vendors selling it.  No bueno.  Shipped by Amazon, but not sold by.
Nikon USA $850
Adorama $709 + shipping

For limited time only, save 35% on the Nikon D7200 Refurbished dropping from $1,099.95 to $709.95 when you buy this item at Adorama.com and Shipping is free!

KEH Used EX+ (90-96% condition) $755
Ding Ding  I think we have a winner
best price + free ship
Link Posted: 3/13/2018 8:54:22 PM EDT
[#7]
I have the refurbished 7200 and some of the same lens.  Your flash may not work.

Very pleased with 7200
Link Posted: 3/13/2018 9:04:28 PM EDT
[#8]
My body progression has been
D50 - 2002/3
D200 - 2013
D7100 - 2015
D500 - 2016

I went from the D7100 to the D500 for two reasons:  Framerate/buffer and ISO performance.  If I wasn't being limited by those two factors I'd still use the 7100 as my primary.  The D7200 has a much bigger buffer and pretty decent ISO; if I'd gotten that instead of the 7100 I might still be using it.

It's going to take quite a bit of advancement for me to move beyond the D500.

But you better believe I keep the D200 and D7100 around for backups/secondaries.
Link Posted: 3/13/2018 9:31:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have the refurbished 7200 and some of the same lens.  Your flash may not work.

Very pleased with 7200
View Quote
SB-900 Flash
hopefully to will work, think it is still the top of the line..
or did they go to a SB910?

@northpolar
Link Posted: 3/13/2018 9:37:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/13/2018 9:49:54 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't get it, sometimes I can
subscribe.

Trying again.

John
Link Posted: 3/13/2018 9:53:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

SB-900 Flash

@northpolar
View Quote
I’m not sure on the radio trigger side (I’m a godox user) but as an on camera or optical slave it should be fine.
Link Posted: 3/13/2018 10:15:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I’m not sure on the radio trigger side (I’m a godox user) but as an on camera or optical slave it should be fine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

SB-900 Flash

@northpolar
I’m unsure, which is why I mentioned.  All of my old lights don’t work with my 7200.  I’m talking film lights.
Link Posted: 3/14/2018 5:42:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Well I bit the bullet, a D7200 referb in heading my way via dogsled
(free shipping 7-10 days)

been out of the camera game for a long time
what goodies should I put on the want list

have a extra battery coming with the body

what else do I need/want

what size memory card should I be looking at?

@northpolar
Link Posted: 3/14/2018 8:31:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Well I bit the bullet, a D7200 referb in heading my way via dogsled
(free shipping 7-10 days)

been out of the camera game for a long time
what goodies should I put on the want list

have a extra battery coming with the body

what else do I need/want

what size memory card should I be looking at?

@northpolar
View Quote
It really depends on what you want to do with it.  Personally, after putting a battery grip on my D7200, I can't live without one.  Considering they just double the battery life and not increase frame rate (like with the D850) you can get by without an OEM one, should you want.  They help a ton for balancing longer lenses though.

IMO, grab a decent cleaning kit, a copy of understanding exposure (useful just to have around for reference), and some quality memory cards.  I'm partial to Samsung Pro, but the Sandisk Pro series has a faster read/write, which is nice for high frame rate shooting.
Link Posted: 3/14/2018 10:39:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

It really depends on what you want to do with it.  Personally, after putting a battery grip on my D7200, I can't live without one.  Considering they just double the battery life and not increase frame rate (like with the D850) you can get by without an OEM one, should you want.  They help a ton for balancing longer lenses though.

IMO, grab a decent cleaning kit, a copy of understanding exposure (useful just to have around for reference), and some quality memory cards.  I'm partial to Samsung Pro, but the Sandisk Pro series has a faster read/write, which is nice for high frame rate shooting.
View Quote
It really depends on what you want to do with it
 photos of  people places and things

copy of understanding exposure
I have this good reference

what size cards are you using?

any issues in using micro sd with adapters?
have several 64gb cards...

I have been using 16 gb in the D80

jpg + RAW

Have cleaning stuff

what software are you using.

got a shipping notice
Link Posted: 3/14/2018 10:46:11 PM EDT
[#17]
64gb should give you ~1000 raw on a card
Link Posted: 3/14/2018 11:01:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/14/2018 11:27:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I have a D40X, that has >150,000 clicks on the shutter and it still runs like a champ. Nikon DSLRs are built like a tank.
View Quote
My D300s has 273,000 and still going.
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 2:43:21 AM EDT
[#20]
looks like the D7200 has 2 SD slots

which is better
2 64gb cards

1 128gb card??

sandisk extreme pro 95s
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 2:45:59 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 2:47:49 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
2 set to mirror if you are doing something important, overflow if not.

Some like to do raw to one card and jpg to the other, but I think that's silly.
View Quote
Agree, I would do two cards. One in the camera for overflow, one for the normal shooting... that way if you forget a card, you have the other one in the camera.
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 3:07:30 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Agree, I would do two cards. One in the camera for overflow, one for the normal shooting... that way if you forget a card, you have the other one in the camera.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
2 set to mirror if you are doing something important, overflow if not.

Some like to do raw to one card and jpg to the other, but I think that's silly.
Yep, been there, done that. I just put a cheapo Wall-Mart special in the 2nd slot, saved my butt; the write speed is way slower, but at least you are not dead in the water.
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 3:10:52 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

which is better
2 64gb cards

1 128gb card??

sandisk extreme pro 95s
View Quote
128gb card, go to Wall-Mart/Target and get one of their better SD cards, should cost that much, I think theirs is like 60s.
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 5:17:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
128gb card, go to Wall-Mart/Target and get one of their better SD cards, should cost that much, I think theirs is like 60s.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

which is better
2 64gb cards

1 128gb card??

sandisk extreme pro 95s
I went with the sandisk 64 from B&H.  I put a older 32 in slot 2.  I use the second slot all the time to do in camera resizing (camera writes to slot 1 when taking pic and I resize to slot 2).
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 8:55:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
64gb should give you ~1000 raw on a card
View Quote
I get about 1,300 on the D500, less on the D7200 because the sensor is bigger.
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 4:36:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Nikon D7200 arrived today

Started looking at the menus... of course I need to charge the battery(s)
Bau -- Humbug I do not want to wait.

on the subject of Menus
any settings I should be aware of?

I made a note of the firmware 1.02 will be comparing that to @northpolar (s)
recent Nikon Firmware advisory
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 4:47:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Congrats as a heads up for all refurbs, run it hard the first few weeks. If something will rattle loose and need fixing, this is the time to do it for free. That said, zero issues with Nikon refurbs here.

The biggest one settings wise for me was to fiddle in the custom menu. Set buttons to bow you like them. Set the camera to shoot raw on the shooting menu, etc.

Honestly, I’d just scroll through it all to get a feel for it.
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 5:35:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Battery just complete charging
second on charger

of course I am not getting any work done

put the 18-135 on the D7200

off to take a few pics (I mean check the mail)

the 128gb card says 1.6k photos

on a another note, I have a screen protector on my D80
do not remember if it came with or I bought it

does something like that exist for the D7200?
recommended?
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 6:04:23 PM EDT
[#30]
The screens are pretty solid, but I put ballistic/gorilla glass on everything. Amazon has plenty.
Link Posted: 3/22/2018 12:03:54 AM EDT
[#31]
Nice upgrade for the four generation jump!

Nikon upgraded the glass on the LCD screens and has stopped shipping the plastic screen protectors.

If you don't have a copy already, download the PDF version of the user's guide from NikonUSA.com.
It makes for easy searching on the computer and phone.

The free memberships at Nikonians.org for all things Nikon are good, too.
Link Posted: 3/22/2018 1:21:47 PM EDT
[#32]
I went to rear button focusing which I love.
Link Posted: 3/23/2018 5:27:58 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
Was just reading about that...
sounds interesting.
Link Posted: 3/23/2018 6:32:47 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
sounds interesting.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
sounds interesting.
It’s a love or hate thing really. I can’t do it, but prefer the camera set to focus lock before shutter release. But I tap to focus and recompose a lot. Personal freference really, but a lot of pros do it because it’s harder to fuck focus up by accident, among other things.
Link Posted: 3/23/2018 6:41:48 AM EDT
[#35]
I got my 128 card from amazon for like 45$
Link Posted: 3/23/2018 6:56:04 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I got my 128 card from amazon for like 45$
View Quote
Read/write speeds are important if you want to get the most out of your camera though.  For a photo here and there, it doesn't matter too much.  For lots of rapid shooting, it makes a world of difference even though it hurts the wallet.  For my D850, my cards run ~$100-500 a pop for 440/400mb/s read/write speeds.  But the files are around 100mb each.

The D7200 files are around 25mb but it maxes out on writing around 90mb/s if memory serves.  So an XDXC card like the Samsung or Sandisk Pro series would work best.

Given the price, I'd imagine you're somewhere in that ballpark at least.
Link Posted: 3/25/2018 1:34:08 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
sounds interesting.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
sounds interesting.
Press the button to start focusing, release it to stop. All independent of the shutter release.

Press-release = lock focus, great for focus-and-recompose
Press-hold = focus tracking on moving subjects

Set the camera to continuous focus mode. No focus mode changes needed to change between static targets and moving targets.

The one possible downside is that you need to set the shutter release mode to allow for out-of-focus pictures, otherwise focus-and-recompose does not work.
Link Posted: 3/25/2018 12:46:04 PM EDT
[#38]
otherwise focus-and-recompose does not work.
View Quote
Unless you want to go through the hassle of moving the focus point back over to your subject with the multiselector.

But if you're doing that, you wouldn't focus and recompose.
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 8:14:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Unless you want to go through the hassle of moving the focus point back over to your subject with the multiselector.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
otherwise focus-and-recompose does not work.

This can get you in trouble, depending on your shooting situation and lens.

Take for example shooting a portrait at wide aperture for a shallow depth of field. You "focus and recompose" and make your shots.

Then you go to edit the photos and they're all out of focus.

Most lenses are not "flat field" - the zone of what is in focus is furthest from the camera in the center and then curves closer as you go away from center. So anything critical that needs to be in focus (like face/eyes in a portrait), you probably need to put the focus point on that spot. This effect varies with different lenses, and if you're shooting at smaller apertures your depth of field may be enough to compensate for it.  True macro lenses are generally flat field or close to it, along with specialized reproduction lenses.
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 9:07:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

This can get you in trouble, depending on your shooting situation and lens.

Take for example shooting a portrait at wide aperture for a shallow depth of field. You "focus and recompose" and make your shots.

Then you go to edit the photos and they're all out of focus.

Most lenses are not "flat field" - the zone of what is in focus is furthest from the camera in the center and then curves closer as you go away from center. So anything critical that needs to be in focus (like face/eyes in a portrait), you probably need to put the focus point on that spot. This effect varies with different lenses, and if you're shooting at smaller apertures your depth of field may be enough to compensate for it.  True macro lenses are generally flat field or close to it, along with specialized reproduction lenses.
View Quote
Excellent point, and one I hadn't considered.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top