Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2012 9:24:06 PM EDT
I know it was noted in many places that improved cylinder is good all around choice. I was just curious as to what people actually use.
Link Posted: 9/24/2012 10:48:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Light modified is the choke I use the most and Improved modified when I need something tight.
Pat
Link Posted: 9/25/2012 1:49:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Full choke, or mod choke if slugs are present somewhere in the shoot.
Link Posted: 9/25/2012 6:53:08 AM EDT
[#3]
I shoot between 6-8 majors a year, and a few local matches to boot.  I use IC about 65% of the time, Mod 35% of the time.

Link Posted: 9/25/2012 7:09:08 AM EDT
[#4]
IC and LM most of the time.  I'll go to Mod or Full for a distant and/or heavy set steel.
Link Posted: 9/25/2012 7:37:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Kurt Miller recommended a light modified....as good a recommendation as I need.... will put in a full for the dreaded spinner target
Link Posted: 9/30/2012 8:05:30 AM EDT
[#6]
I run a Carlson's Extended Light Mod most of the time, and occasionally switch it out for a Full
Link Posted: 10/3/2012 2:47:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/10/2012 11:41:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Light Modified, all the time.
Link Posted: 2/4/2013 8:06:54 AM EDT
[#9]
I bought a LM as recommended on here when i asked the question a while back.  As a newb shotgunner, does barrel length effect choke choice at all? In theory it would effect velocity but not sure if that equates to spread rate as well? IE my 18.5 say vs a 22 or 28?
Link Posted: 2/4/2013 2:37:33 PM EDT
[#10]
LM for almost everything, including slugs. I have an Improved Modified I can use for bird shot steel that is a little further away, pesky spinners, or sticky plates on texas stars when needed.   I dont change ammo much either...1200fps 7.5's....although I am trying new ammo to find something that is more reliable since I've had some Federal Top Gun and Federal Gold Medal BOTH not go bang.
Link Posted: 2/7/2013 8:03:07 AM EDT
[#11]
I ran IC 90% of the time for years, and then switched to LM just because everybody keeps saying it was the way to go. I don’t miss any more targets with LM than I did with IC

I have Cylinder IC, LM, Mod, and Full in the bag and rarely find a need to change from LM

I went through a Sporting Clay phase where (like a lot the others) I had a box full of tubes X2 for my double guns, then figured out that most shots were either “close” or “way out there”.  I’ve got a lot more to think about in my level of shooting skills than a .005” difference in choke constriction.
Link Posted: 2/11/2013 4:10:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 4:21:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Why are ported chokes allowed in the open division and not the other division.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 4:41:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Ported / compensated shotguns are relegated to open class. With a ported choke tube being like an extension of the barrel it is looked upon as having a ported barrel.

While it can be argued that the ports on the choke tube do nothing to reduce recoil (actually they do serve another purpose related to the wad and patterning)  the rules are the rules.

Link Posted: 2/17/2013 5:28:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 7:18:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Chokes and Loads

Given the same bore ID preceding the choke and the same ID of choke, barrel length does not effect pattern. (within the context of 3Gun)
As Jesse surmised the pattern is effected by velocity. (among many factors!)  We could spend a lot of time
on what effects pattern, but for 3 Gun lets just say…read the article posted, shoot ONLY good ammo at major events
and all will be well.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 10:57:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ported / compensated shotguns are relegated to open class. With a ported choke tube being like an extension of the barrel it is looked upon as having a ported barrel.

While it can be argued that the ports on the choke tube do nothing to reduce recoil (actually they do serve another purpose related to the wad and patterning)  the rules are the rules.

This is what I thought "a rule without a reason"

OR Could the reason be to give the open division another advantage over the other division to create a larger separation.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top