Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/15/2021 5:40:07 PM EDT
I just picked up some Winchester Super Target.  I know not the best stuff but I needed something inexpensive to rip through a couple scatter guns to aid with brake in.  (Didn't want to lay waste of my buck and slugs)

To my surprise I noticed the casing appears to be some kind of steel instead of brass.  Is this an issue like running steel cased ammo through a pistol or rifle?

Could it cause damage to an aluminum receiver?  Could it scratch or gouge Titanium or plastic mag tubes in semi autos?

Link Posted: 8/15/2021 5:55:41 PM EDT
[#1]
You're OK.  Shoot it, Winchester wouldn't put out something that'd hurt your gun.
Link Posted: 8/15/2021 6:12:35 PM EDT
[#2]
A bunch of the "brass" ones are steel colored to look like brass.  

I believe all of the Remington and Rio brand are steel painted to look like brass.

Link Posted: 8/15/2021 6:40:32 PM EDT
[#3]
I hope Remington STS Target Hulls are brass. The new WIN AA's suck monkey balls for reloading.

Most of the game loads are brass plated steel, they don't seal the chamber as well as brass and therefore are dirtier to shoot.

I've ran across lots ( 100+) of once fired WIN steel base target shells with the primer already out. A friend picked them up at Algonac State Park.

Keep an eye out for primer pressure, just as one would do working up a target load.

In this time of low supply, buy and shoot what you can find.
Link Posted: 8/15/2021 6:55:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Milspec99] [#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By vatopa:
A bunch of the "brass" ones are steel colored to look like brass.  

I believe all of the Remington and Rio brand are steel painted to look like brass.

View Quote

I figured out my B's snap caps had steel in them.  I saw they were magnetic.

Rio calls their casings brass.  Copper and zinc (brass) aren't inherently magnetic.  Maybe they are all plated steel except for the obvious silver?

So much for high brass?  LOL  I just want to make sure they won't booger up my semis.  I can do that on my own.  
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 10:42:22 PM EDT
[#5]
as long as it functions, run it
Top Top