Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/20/2013 8:42:29 PM EDT
Ive been wanting to get involved with 3gun so Ive been on the lookout for a G34 for a while now but of course they are few and far between. Ive shot glocks and own a 26 and love them however this extra time has allowed me to continue my gun selection research. Recently Ive been reading alot about the M&P Pro 9 and liking the sound of it more and more.  I have not shot one and i dont see many people talking about it for 3 gun. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with it?  Opinions?? Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/21/2013 2:08:51 AM EDT
[#1]
The m&p pro is a solid competitor to the glock 34 in every way. It is good to go. My advice is to hold one before you make the decision, as they feel different in the hand
Link Posted: 3/21/2013 9:55:58 AM EDT
[#2]
With some cheap APEX upgrades, I think its as good as any option at that price point.  I LOVE mine.
Link Posted: 3/21/2013 12:55:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I shoot a Glock 34 right now, and have a lightened 17L slide on the way for it.......but I like the grip on the M&P's. I use the M&P 22 pistols to teach CCW classes with and have shot everything from the Sheild CCW gun to the M&P Pro and I like them. There aren't as many things available for them yet, but if they don't change the design every few years, the aftermarket community seems to really get behind guns that are consistently offered.
Link Posted: 3/21/2013 1:58:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/21/2013 5:03:17 PM EDT
[#5]
I have an M&P Pro and am struggling to shoot well with it. But, my problem is transitioning from shooting USPSA with a Kimber .45 to the M&P Pro 9mm. Its feel and function has been great. I believe my issues will be resolved by more range time.

Overall, I don't think you can go wrong with the M&P Pro. Good luck with whatever you decide on.
Link Posted: 5/2/2013 3:07:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Have owned 11 Glocks over the years, to include a nicely modified G34. Grew up shooting single action revolvers & 1911s. I never could adjust to the grip angle of the Glock. Can't say anything negative about the Glock,problems were all me. Tried a S&W M&P last November in 9mm @ the gun club. The gun felt very comfortable in the hand & pointed naturally. Searched high & low & finally picked up a 5" 9mm Pro Series M&P last month. After about 1000rds down range, experimenting w/ different backstraps, I have concluded I shoot it better than my 1911 9mm & 2011 9mm. The S&W will be riding in a CompTac International holster on my CR Speed 3 gun belt May 11 for a 6 hour 3 gun course I'm taking & will definitely be present on May 25th @ 3 gun shoot in North Carolina.
Link Posted: 5/17/2013 12:05:08 PM EDT
[#7]
How are the triggers in the Pro? I have a standard M&P and the trigger was terrible until I fixed it with Apex parts.
Link Posted: 5/20/2013 5:22:00 AM EDT
[#8]
I shoot my full size M&P 9 in IDPA, USPSA, and 3gun.  It us also my go to carry gun.  A friend I shoot with at all the matches has the Pro, and it is almost identical tk my full size.  He has the Apex kit installed and I had my trigger work and slide work done by this guy, http://ateiguns.com/

At the 3gun matches here, I see a lot of guys, and girls, using Glocks.  I also se several people using M&Ps.  It is all out what gun is going to fit you better.  After I picked up my M&P at my local gun store when they showed it to me, I told them to put it in the safe, its mine.  It just felt like it fit my hands perfect.

I don't have any issues with Glocks I have just never really shot them.  I shot a 195 once when j first started shooting 3 or so years ago and didn't like the grip but have thought about trying one again.
Link Posted: 6/5/2013 6:11:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
How are the triggers in the Pro? I have a standard M&P and the trigger was terrible until I fixed it with Apex parts.

it comes with a better trigger than the regular M&P, because of the pro sear.  APEX is still the way to go, IYAM
Link Posted: 6/7/2013 10:27:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Just starting my journey in competitive shooting. I've doctored up my SBE II and just tonight purchased a 9mm M&P Pro Core. Can't wait to shoot it tomorrow.
Link Posted: 7/1/2013 8:43:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Love my 9mm Pro. Apex everything, ISMI 13# recoil spring. Taylor Freelance base pads. Speed Shooters Specialties magwell
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k244/coltlover/get-attachment-1.jpg
Link Posted: 7/2/2013 5:21:41 AM EDT
[#12]
check the 25yd accuracy.... they have very good ergonomics... good factory sights and are dovetailed if you need to change, and beavertail if you have larger hands... and as commented with the Apex upgrades better triggers than the Glocks....a couple of very experienced shooter friends could not get the accuracy at longer distances compared to what they did with their G34s (147 grain bullets)
Link Posted: 7/2/2013 9:07:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Don't rule out standard longslide and trick it out as you see fit. I shoot a pro with apex fire control parts, and dawson sights for uspsa and steel when I don't shoot single stack. I own 3 glocks, but shoot the m&p better. Get what feels best in your hand and try to shoot both before you buy. Surly someone has one near you that you can play with on the range. Good luck
Link Posted: 7/10/2013 8:18:57 PM EDT
[#14]
I ended up buying a standard M&P 9. It was used at my local Gun shop and got it for a desent price. I really loved the gun until i started shooting at 25yrds. I cant get it to group better than 18-20"!!  Even off the bench.  Tried different ammo. My little G26 far out performs the M&P. i think i got a lemon. What are my options??
Link Posted: 7/10/2013 10:52:02 PM EDT
[#15]
A lot of the M&P 9's can't group for crap, it's a well documented issue.  Your options are to get an aftermarket barrel if you want to stay with that gun.

I shot an M&P at one major match, someone that heard me cursing it was nice enough to trade me a Glock 34 they weren't using for it and I haven't looked back.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top