Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 10/18/2013 4:05:49 PM EDT
I've looked around some and didn't see what I was looking for. I've never done a 3 gun, but have the chance to attend a match. It's nothing special, guy told me last time only like 9 people showed up, so it's a real small event. Anyway. When it comes to 3 gun and ammo, what is the consus? Cheap target ammo or better?

I currently have:
Colt 6920: Shoots the Monarch(Acdemy brand) great, shoots cheap Tula with no issue, I'm actually yet to have any issue, with any cheap ammo.
M&P 9mm: Shhots the Remington green and white 50 rnd and the Winchester red and whtie 50 rnd $17 boxes well. Yet to try anything else.

Don't own a shot gun yet, lookign for one for duck season and will use it as I will probably only do a few events a year, nothing major. Leaning towards the Remington 870 Magnum so I can take the 3.5 shells.

So with that said, what ammo do you prefer?
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 5:52:18 PM EDT
Some ranges will not let you shoot the bi-metal ammo (Tula, Wolf, etc).  Basically if a magnet sticks to the bullet, it is a no go.  It is hard on the steel, and will cause fires in the grass.

Personally, I am not enough of a masochist to shoot 3.5" shells for 3 gun.  Most people shoot the 2 3/4" target loads with 7.5 shot.  I do shoot #6 Pheasant Load for some targets (spinners mostly), but those are few shots here and there.  Do not forget you may need slugs as well.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 6:10:57 PM EDT
Get brass vs tula/wolf for the match, use the tula/wolf for practice.

WWB or Remington is ok for the match, just inspect it prior to loading it up.

Suggest that you look at a semi-auto vs a pump and look to add an extension tube to expand the capacity of the shotgun.  Buy good/high quality shotgun shells for the match.  Once you get your shotgun, you need to see what runs in it, some brands don't run in all guns.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 9:32:06 PM EDT
Thanks for the suggestions, especially about the steel casing. I don't not like them but I don't like them either, I'm kinda neutral. I only buy them as a last resort. So I'll plan on sticking to the cheapest yet most effective brass.

As far as the 3.5" shells for 3 gun, yeah I don't think I'm that brave either. But I've got several hobbies most of which are expensive. I've also got a stay at home wife and two little girls. So needless to say most items I get I try to get to fill as many purposes as I can. The reason I want the option of the 3.5" is for primary hunting, and 3 gun second because I'll probably only do a few events a year.
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 10:01:34 AM EDT
In the continuing craziness, I like to look for ammo at www.gunbot.com.   I am going back and forth between Prvi Partizan 5.56 and PMC Bronze.   I am thinking about shooting Freedom munitions re-manufactured.   I have had good luck with their pistol ammo.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 6:55:15 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 8:39:17 AM EDT
Not only does Freedom support the sport, but they have a veteran/LEO discount.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 1:25:43 PM EDT
Many ranges or the match itself may limit your ammo choices, especially on shotgun.  
Typical is #7, 7.5 or 8 in birdshot.  I was using #6 but at least one place I shoot the range disallows it..

As already stated, use the Tula/Wolf for practice, and find a factory round your gun likes at the ranges you typically encounter, ideally one you can get in quantity.  For most 3 guns I've shot in, misses aren't generally down to 1MOA accuracy differences in ammo/rifle combinations, but better to find something your particular gun likes and you can get, moreso if you've got longer range shots frequently.

Eventually unless made of $, you're going to wind up reloading anyway.. ;)
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:22:04 PM EDT
I second the reload.  Use range brass and you can load for around $0.20 a round if you find the components at the right price.  I kno wthat won't work for a match next week but start looking in that direction.
Top Top