Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/24/2005 4:43:23 PM EDT
I was looking for a chest rig to hold ak magazines that was pre-assembled (ie not molle and pouches) for a reasonable price. I happened upon the blackhawk rig shown below but I have heard numerous negative references to blackhawk equiptment. Do you think this equiptment would be a good choice, why/why not, and what is wrong with blackhawk gear in general? Thanks
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 5:41:52 PM EDT
[#1]
What I've noticed is that people don't like Blackhawk because it is made in China. Though, I don't know if that's true.
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 5:44:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Made in  Viet Nam
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 9:57:00 PM EDT
[#3]
what do you want to do?

why does that particular rig 'look good'  to you from all the other various rigs on the market?

Link Posted: 7/24/2005 10:07:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I just want a general SHTF magazine carrier. I want one that mounts on my chest, that i dont have to "build" (ie molle), that holds ten or so ak magazines, and doesnt break the bank. This is the best combination of those things i have seen so far.
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 7:46:45 AM EDT
[#5]
I had a blackhawk urban assault vest for 1 night then I traded it back with the guy who originaly had it , because after some light tuging on the pouches one of the pouches started to unthread from the body of the vest I do this to all the stuff I buy to me this was unacceptable.
I will not buy any blackhawk gear anymore.
That vest retails for $250.00.

On the EE I got an Eagle SF30-AK chest rig for $125.00 shipped and I've seen the Blackhawk copy of this rig which you have posted in person and it is junk in comparrison.

This is just my take on the matter I think most people have had good luck with blackhawk.
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 8:21:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Consensus I've gathered is that Blackhawk's "STRIKE" products are much higher quality than the rest of their line.  Most folks don't seem to have a problem with the quality of the gear, but take issue with the products 1) being made in Vietnam and 2) being close copies of other gear-makers' (primarily Eagle's) designs.

My $.02.

Link Posted: 7/26/2005 8:24:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 11:18:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Military Morons review of BlackHawk Strike kit.  But this it does not refer to the regular line of equipment.
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 1:15:54 PM EDT
[#9]
I agree - I've used a large amount of Blackhawk stuff in the past....the standard stuff was ok, and it great for weekend warriors, but doesn't hold up over time....the STRIKE stuff is much better and seems to work good (the issue now lies with being made in VietNam over the US).  A side note-over time I've swapped out all my gear to Eagle, SOE, SOTECH, Tactical Assault Gear and a few items from Spectre........for what it's worth...the Blackhawk stuff is gone or in the surplus bin.......it's ok, just not great.
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 4:16:31 PM EDT
[#10]
     Most of the time I dont care about where its made. Everybody uses something everyday that is made by countries other than the U.S.A that is more than likely made by "cheap labor". With that said I prefer U.S. product but if something comes along that gets the job done extremly well then i go for it. Thats the beauty of freedom of choice and its what keeps prices low.  If its of good quality and it works for you then go for it. Ive had a BHI strike omega and am now running a bhi strike chest harness and both perform outstanding. Im in the military ( 11B) and both rigs have been used hard and have held up extremely well. I would not hesitate to purchase from them again.  There are alot of other options out there. I would also strongly recomend Tactical Tailer Mav, its a great rig and the 2 piece is even "mo betta". hope this helps.
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 4:49:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Smithy thats a great post. I don't own any blackhawk products currently, but know plenty of people who do. As long as you are not hung up on the location they are made Blackhawk's strike gear is good quality and holds up well. I would not have problem deploying with any piece of it next year when I go back to Hadji land.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 4:57:56 PM EDT
[#12]
If you have a problem buying BH products then I suggest do not shop at Wally World. Most of the products are made in the PRC (Peoples Republic of China). I have been out of service for over 10yrs and from what I see is that BH makes a decent product line. I know  a couple of guys who are in A-stan and they use BH Strike pouches and other products and as long as it helps bring my friends home alive then that is all I care about.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:37:49 AM EDT
[#13]
I am currently in the "big sand box" and a 11b, a former 0311 and 1371 in the USMC and I use a lot of BHI products and have never had a problem with one of them.  Most people in my unit use the issued molle pouches (made by SDS) with their IBA.  With a little over half way done with our deployment, many of the SDS pouches are falling apart or have holes worn in them.   Everyone that I know that uses BHI products have never had a problem.  People also are using Tactical Tailor ( I have some pouches, but not a big fan like everyone else in the Army), Spectre, Eagle, Paraclete and I just got in some of the new Blackwater Gear pouches, will have to see how they work out.  I also got a Tactical Assault Gear molle pouch for my ASP baton and I love it so far.   My favorite are the Battlelab pouches by Diamondback Tactical.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 8:05:59 AM EDT
[#14]
My brother sent his rifle case to BH because the zipper ripped.  They signed for the package, lost it, and then would not send another case.  A cheap and generic swap meet gun case replaced it, and is a better product.  

So, I would say that their customer service sucks ass.

I suggest looking up Tactical Tailor for your needs.

In the early days, BH products were made in the US.  When they shipped their production and jobs to China, (KEEP IN MIND THAT THIS IS A COUNTRY WITH NUCLEAR MISSILES POINTED AT US)  their prices DID NOT come down.  Take that for what it is worth.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 10:48:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 8:18:36 PM EDT
[#16]
IMHO, BH is shite.  Not because it does not work, but because better and USA made equipment can be had within a few dollars of BHI stuff 90% of the time.  I prefer Eagle, Tactical Tailor, Spectre, and HSGI.
Also,  the nylon BHI uses is not as supple.  FWIR, the explanation is that they use cheaper and fewer layers, but coat the shite out of it to give the appearance of strength.  You will not really see the difference up front, but a few months down the line my vest was shedded, wearas the Eagle vest it replaced was just about broken in at that point.  If you have to buy one, get it from someone on the EQ exchange, that way no more money goes into BHI pockets, and you help the said individual by some better gear.

Remember, you can buy what is cheap, and end up buying it again, or spend a few extra dollars outright and not have to purchase the eq again.

Good luck.

-Redfoot
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 3:58:37 PM EDT
[#17]
I own 2 of that exact model of rig, and they are fabulous.
No Regrets, and great quality.

myitinaw
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top