Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/29/2006 10:02:38 AM EDT

I recently purhased a new pair of binoculars that have ther Ruby coating and I Love them! they are excellent looking and they perform well. but I was wondering what the advantage is to the Ruby Coating.. my guess would be more light transmission??
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 10:49:43 AM EDT
[#1]
From "Bigbinoculars.com" -

"the coating has nothing to do with the mineral ruby. Some manufacturers filter red to compensate for poor-quality optics that do not properly converge the color spectrum. By eliminating red from the spectrum, the optics appear to do a better job of minimizing color abberations- but gives the view through the binocular an unnatural greenish cast. Steer clear of "ruby" coating- it's simply a gimmick with no redeeming qualities. We've seen ads from unscrupulous vendors that claim magical "night vision" properties for their "ruby-coated" binoculars - "no batteries required". Rubbish..."

Sorry!
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 11:39:49 AM EDT
[#2]
The ruby color comes from that part of the spectrum that reflects off of the glass. Thereby, it is that part of the spectrum that the Anti-Reflective coatings are NOT doing their job. Really good coatings are perfectly dark, coating mortals can afford are almost perfectly dark on axis.
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 11:44:33 AM EDT
[#3]
So what about the ruby coating on my pride & joy aimpoint?
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 12:23:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Great, so I mention a quality optic with a ruby coating and everyone shuts up...what the heck?
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 1:33:02 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Maybe, and I'm just pulling this out of my a$$, the Aimpoint is filtering out the red to provide better contrast to make the red dot more visible against a larger variety of backgrounds, like ones that may contain red?????
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 1:38:24 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd buy that.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 10:00:58 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

thats a great question.. I just picked up a bushnell trophy that has it too. I wish I knew the answer for ya. it was a little heart breaking to hear that it didnt do anything for it.  oh well. now I know. :)
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 1:41:28 AM EDT
[#8]
In my personal experience, the coating reduces the effect of color fringing when looking at dark objects against bright backgrounds (or vice versa).  The usual rainbow distortion around sharp edges becomes just a bit of fuzz.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top