Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2010 9:01:55 AM EDT
ok i live in CT and we have annoying laws here so i have to have a Brake on my SBR seeing as it was made post 94.  i have a SEI/Fisher can on the way and i was wondering if anyone has experience with there brake version of the vortex because that will accept the can (when i go out of CT) when used at night and a PVS-14.  i have a YHM Phantom brake now and i tried firing it at night with an EoTech and PVS, completely whited out when i fire so i only shot 2 times before i put it away for fear of possible tube damage.  for my Rem700 and pre-ban ARs i plan to go with the regular Vortex, i know to the naked eye it does a good job but what about threw NV?

http://www.smithenterprise.com/products04.01.html
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 9:40:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 9:52:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 11:15:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
The best overall FH we have used for NODS is the Smith Enterprises Vortex with the AAC Black Out a very close 2nd. Hope this helps.

Vic

If I understand his question correctly he is asking about a muzzle brake, not a flash hider.  I'm guessing he is looking for the brake that will best hide the flash, in order to comply with his state's laws.  

Yep, You are dead on. I missed it also when just skim reading. I have no experience with that brake and night vision. Have never seen any brake comparison with night vision. Seen lots of flash hider comparisons.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 11:39:00 AM EDT
[#4]
dare I say that no BRAKE is good for NV

just get a vortex or blackout
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 11:49:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
dare I say that no BRAKE is good for NV

just get a vortex or blackout

I agree and don't really think any brake is a good option. In this case the OP can't use a flash hider so I don't have a answer for him other then a can which I am sure is frowned upon as well being he can't use a flash hider. I don't have a good solution for him. Hopefully someone else has one.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 12:13:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:07:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Anybody know about the BE Meyers unit?  

Pretty impressive video, but that doesn't mean anything..

Brent

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:52:17 PM EDT
[#8]
yes, i am going to use the SEI Vortex flash hider/suppressor on my Rem700 and pre-ban M4 clone as my SEI can willk work with those, but was more concerned with the brake on my SBR due to CT laws.  

on a second note, how bad is it if i use the NODs on my SBR with the brake?  i'm not going to be shooting 1,000+ rounds or anything but maybe a few, the 2 rounds i tried whited out the unit due to muzzle flash, will that damage the NODs?
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 2:14:26 PM EDT
[#9]
I've got Ranier Arms flash hiding brake. It isn't the best flash hider, but it is better than a bare muzzle. I've noticed I get a big flash every 5 or 6 rounds if I run it fast, but its not nearly as common running it slow.

Mine is also a 14.5" barrel which doesn't help, running this on a 16" or 20" it would probably be better.

The only other options I can think of are the FSC 5.56 and the A2 brake. I've heard that the A2 style brakes work pretty well as a flash hider, but I have no real experience with either.

If I had a good set of NVG's I'd take them out and see whether it whited them out or not, but unfortunately I dont.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 2:22:38 PM EDT
[#10]
ok i live in CT and we have annoying laws here so i have to have a Brake on my SBR seeing as it was made post 94. i have a SEI/Fisher can on the way and i was wondering if anyone has experience with there brake version of the vortex because that will accept the can (when i go out of CT) when used at night and a PVS-14. i have a YHM Phantom brake now and i tried firing it at night with an EoTech and PVS, completely whited out when i fire so i only shot 2 times before i put it away for fear of possible tube damage. for my Rem700 and pre-ban ARs i plan to go with the regular Vortex, i know to the naked eye it does a good job but what about threw NV?

I'm guessing a can is out of the question in your state?
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 2:25:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
yes, i am going to use the SEI Vortex flash hider/suppressor on my Rem700 and pre-ban M4 clone as my SEI can willk work with those, but was more concerned with the brake on my SBR due to CT laws.  

on a second note, how bad is it if i use the NODs on my SBR with the brake?  i'm not going to be shooting 1,000+ rounds or anything but maybe a few, the 2 rounds i tried whited out the unit due to muzzle flash, will that damage the NODs?

Whiting out isn't good at all. Better not to risk damage.

Waiting for a 10.5 upper to arrive and was wondering myself if it would be too much flame for NV.

Brent

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 2:27:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 3:54:45 PM EDT
[#13]
I have had good results with the Bushmaster IZZY compensator / brake . I think there are 2 different kinds . I have the one w the wide muzzle end
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:05:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:46:48 PM EDT
[#15]
...... Nevermind
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top