Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/13/2006 6:51:58 PM EDT
how much velocity does the 20" mosin-nagant carbine barrel lose compared to the ~31" full length rifle barrel?
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:45:08 PM EDT
[#1]
A general rule of thumb is 25 fps for every inch of barrel length.

Now, that is based on the optimum barrel length for a given cartridge. In the case of the MN, the long barrel may be slightly longer than optimum for the available ammo.

But even if it were, you'd only be giving up 250 fps +/- a bit.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 8:25:57 PM EDT
[#2]
alright, thanks.  i was wondering because i've heard  that the carbines make big fireballs, indicating that there's still lots of unburnt powder which is wasted by being burned after it leaves the barrel.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 4:53:38 AM EDT
[#3]
im not shure of velocity for a carbine, but the ones's I used to have (will have more soon) used to punch trough everthing we though at them bell housings lawn mowers 6 inch diamater maple and pine trees all kind of stuff so it didn't loose to much power, and the concussion and fire ball were bonus
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 6:17:19 AM EDT
[#4]
www.7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinAmmo.htm

Select your ammo type and scroll down, there is a chart at the bottom of each page with the velocities out of the different Mosin variants.

Link Posted: 4/14/2006 11:15:51 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
www.7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinAmmo.htm

Select your ammo type and scroll down, there is a chart at the bottom of each page with the velocities out of the different Mosin variants.

it says that i'd lose an average of 200fps using wolf.

thanks!
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 11:29:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 11:36:02 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
alright, thanks.  i was wondering because i've heard  that the carbines make big fireballs, indicating that there's still lots of unburnt powder which is wasted by being burned after it leaves the barrel.

Generally speaking only about 30% of the power from the burning powder goes to accelerating the bullet, the rest is lost to heat and escapes after the bullet leaves the barrel.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 6:11:54 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Ted's site

Great site!  Hadn't seen it before, thanks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top