Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/31/2009 4:40:04 PM EDT
I just bought a bottle of Hornady one shot and was wondering if people tumble their brass to remove it or just leave it on.  I am use to using Imperial sizing lube on my rifle brass which definitely needs removing.  For my pistol brass,  I use carbide dies so I haven't been using a lube.  I thought it might go easier with lube and it sure makes a difference.  Since I want to run it through a progressive press, I don't really want to have to remove the brass and tumble it after sizing/depriming. The instructions say you should wipe it off but there's not a lot of excess lube to wipe off.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 4:44:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Just tumble the loaded rounds for 10-15 minutes to remove the lube. I run a single stage press so I tumble off the One Shot after resizing.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 4:48:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I have been using one shot for about six months now, after I resize, I toss the brass in the tumbler for about an hour, then start reloading
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 5:08:55 PM EDT
[#3]
You don't have to remove the lube from pistol brass.  Brian Enos says he doesn't, and hasn't had any problems.

I don't like the stickiness, so I tumble the loaded rounds.  Also discovered I like the Dillon spray lube better.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 7:05:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 7:06:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't bother tumbling pistol rounds to get the lube off. Rifle is a whole different deal. I've probably shot 40k worth of pistol rounds with Hornady One Shot still on them with no deleterious effect.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 7:06:15 PM EDT
[#6]
I tumble my lubed rounds in corn cob media (larger chunks) since it seems more absorbent than walnut. Couple hours is usually plenty of time.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 7:31:48 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I tumble my lubed rounds in corn cob media (larger chunks) since it seems more absorbent than walnut. Couple hours is usually plenty of time.

Yep, from what I have learned from lurking in here you use Walnut to polish and Corn to take off lube.

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 12:29:39 AM EDT
[#8]
I get sizing lube off with alcohol on a paper towel while I'm watching T.V.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 6:23:08 AM EDT
[#9]
On straight wall pistol cases I don't use lube, but I do tumble till it's very clean.  Lube should always be removed from the exterior of the case for reason stated by Aero.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 6:39:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the responses.  I guess the best answer is to drop the loaded rounds into a tumble for a bit.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 4:36:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I use the walnut media to clean my cases.  Corn cob media is for filling primer flash holes.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:25:14 AM EDT
[#12]
I know that tumbling live rounds is a very accepted practice around here.  My question comes from replies that I had read in other threads on the subject.  When using extruded powder i.e. Varget, it has been written that the tumbling action can break down the individual grains and change the ignition properties of the powder.  I was wondering what yee say to that theory?

Part 2~ Does anyone think that the same theory could be applied to ball/flake powder i.e. H335/W231

Thanks for your insight!

The Capn'
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:59:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 10:11:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep, from what I have learned from lurking in here you use Walnut to polish and Corn to take off lube.

you got it reversed. Walnut to clean, corn to polish and remove lube
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 11:29:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I know that tumbling live rounds is a very accepted practice around here.  My question comes from replies that I had read in other threads on the subject.  When using extruded powder i.e. Varget, it has been written that the tumbling action can break down the individual grains and change the ignition properties of the powder.  I was wondering what yee say to that theory?

Part 2~ Does anyone think that the same theory could be applied to ball/flake powder i.e. H335/W231

Thanks for your insight!

The Capn'

Run the experiment for yourself.

Start by running a vibratory tumbler with the top off.  Note which of the contents are moving.

Then, break the cartridges down and compare the contents to gunpowder that hasn't been loaded.

Also consider the effect of truck transportation.  If you think the freight gets a ride like you experience in your passenger vehicles, that is wrong.

Then note that commercial loaders tumble the loaded ammunition.

Thanks Aero,

That is a very logical explanation that can be understood by most anyone.  I was not sure that the commercial guys tumbled their stuff.  

The Capn'

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 11:38:21 AM EDT
[#16]
My method is as follows:

Lay a towel on the garage floor, spread out the finished ammo, hit it with brake cleaner, then dump onto another dry towel and roll them around a minute or so., then pop them into your storage container of choice. Have been doing it for years, and when I was going through several thousand rounds/month shooting USPSA, I got rather proficient.  YMMV, but this is what worked for me in a high volume environment.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top