Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/11/2007 3:52:01 PM EDT
I've finally decided to sell my FN tactical police shotty and pop my 870 cherry. I'm a small framed dude and hated how massive the FN felt. I am going to build my 870 to be nice and compact and wanted some suggestions on what tactical stocks you prefer and why. I was originally thinking of putting a Knoxx stock on it, but I've heard some negative things about the recoil absorbency, especially if you put a surefire forend grip  on the end (which i wanted to do).

Thanks,

mike
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 4:05:25 PM EDT
[#1]
How about a short barrel and a regular stock....here is my 12.5" barrel 870 Police....just put your own forend on it.  It's even threaded for chokes.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/BRAMEL/rem1.jpg
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 5:51:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I personally don't like Knox stocks, alot of guys do. I'd go with a shorter LOP stock, or maybe a collapsable one. I think the collapsable one would be your best bet.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 6:40:47 PM EDT
[#3]
I just had the chance to shoot my friends 870 w/knoxx and my 870 w/ regular stock.  In a side by side comarison I personaly didn't like the knoxx stock.  In the best way for me to explain it the ergonomics just didn't feel that natural, and the gun seemed to move around a lot.  Shooting slugs and 00 I did notice a slight difference in recoil but more a difference in handling.  In the military I had plenty of use with a 16'' 870 with Speedfeed pistol grip stock and I liked it but still prefer the 'in-line' look and feel of a regular stock.  For length of pull I'm pretty sure I was using the smaller speedfeed stock due to wearing body armor and all that stuff.  If i were to switch to a pistol grip stock it would be that one.  Hope this helps.

T

Also, the knoxx stock broke after 100 rounds, the spring seemed to have broke, and what happens is when the gun is shouldered the trigger guard and trigger reccess into the stock housing.  In order to shoot it you need to 'pull' the forend forward as you place your finger into the small area of exposed trigger guard-  No thanks!
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 10:45:31 AM EDT
[#4]
thanks guys,
the more I talk to people the less I want to put a knoxx stock on my gun. Any recommendations for folding stocks? What work the best for you guys and feel the most natural?

Also, I'm a little fuzzy on the laws for SBS. I DO NOT have a class III permit, and am in washington state, which I can't find anything about barrel legnth for shotguns, however I did read that they are nationally only available to law enforcement, military and class III holders.

HOWEVER I did find this --
height=8

In addition, some firearms that would normally fall into the Short Barrel Shotgun (SBS) category are not SBS. A shotgun is legally defined as a shoulder mounted firearm that fires shot. Shotguns and shotgun receivers that have never had a buttstock of any type installed are not shotguns, as they cannot be shoulder mounted. Therefore, cutting one of these below the 18" barrel and/or 26" overall length cannot produce a SBS as the firearm was never a shotgun. The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, & Explosives recognizes these firearms as being a smooth bore handgun which is an Any Other Weapon (AOW). Unlike a SBS, an AOW only carries a $5.00 tax and can be moved interstate without Federal approval. However, to maintain its AOW status, one may generally not have a buttstock (making it a SBS) or a rifled slug barrel (making it a Destructive Device (DD); a handgun with a bore over 0.5"). Both SBS and DD require a $200.00 transfer tax and Federal approval to transport interstate.

So if i we're to put a folding stock on it, or even just keep a straight up pistol grip, would a 12.5" 870 be considered AOW?

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 1:15:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I am a bit fat of shorter than factory length of pull on defensive shotguns.  On my 870 I use a SpeedFeed IV-S, which has a 13" LOP and then I remove the recoil pad and install SpeedFeed's SWAT butt plate which leaves the LOP right at 12".  

This allows me to shoot from a squared-away fighting stance and makes the weapon more maneuverable.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top