Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2006 12:58:16 AM EDT
someone posted a formula that was supposed to work well with stainless 22lr cans..what was it vinegar and peroxide?..if so what were the measurements? 1/2 & 1/2?
i searched but with dialup and a crappy connection i have gotten nowhere

thanks
Link Posted: 8/20/2006 1:34:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Gemtech recommends mineral spirits & ATF (e.g... Dexron II/III) mixed 3:1.
Also safe for aluminum baffles.
Link Posted: 8/20/2006 1:56:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I think this is what your after. 50/50 Mix
Link Posted: 8/20/2006 2:48:15 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I think this is what your after. 50/50 Mix

yup..thanks
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 4:47:11 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
someone posted a formula that was supposed to work well with stainless 22lr cans..what was it vinegar and peroxide?..if so what were the measurements? 1/2 & 1/2?

thanks

DON'T use this in any can with any aluminum. This works fairly well for stainless steel, but it seriously attacks and weakens aluminum leading to an early failure.

At Gemtech, we actually do not believe in cleaning cans, and our demo cans (which see a lot of use) are never cleaned. The exception is the mounting system. Most gunsmiths will tell you that more wear is placed on firearms from compulsive cleaning than from shooting.

Reasonable neglect will often give longer service than compulsive cleaning, and most suppressors will outlast the rifling in the host weapon's barrel.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 9:11:26 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

thanks

DON'T use this in any can with any aluminum. This works fairly well for stainless steel, but it seriously attacks and weakens aluminum leading to an early failure.

At Gemtech, we actually do not believe in cleaning cans, and our demo cans (which see a lot of use) are never cleaned. The exception is the mounting system. Most gunsmiths will tell you that more wear is placed on firearms from compulsive cleaning than from shooting.

Reasonable neglect will often give longer service than compulsive cleaning, and most suppressors will outlast the rifling in the host weapon's barrel.

i understand that mr dater and i really do respect your opinion, but as dirty as my 22 can gets it is quite in the needing of a cleaning this was the last time i cleaned it and i lost alot of the material when i pulled the baffles out so this is not all of it...oh and this is after 5k rounds which i have about 7k through it at the moment....
oh and thats 484.2 grains basically like emptying 9 308 cartridges of powder into it or having 2 45acp ball bulletts in your can

Link Posted: 8/21/2006 5:42:01 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
i understand that mr Dr. dater and i really do respect your opinion, but as dirty as my 22 can gets it is quite in the needing of a cleaning this was the last time i cleaned it and i lost alot of the material when i pulled the baffles out so this is not all of it...oh and this is after 5k rounds which i have about 7k through it at the moment....
oh and thats 484.2 grains basically like emptying 9 308 cartridges of powder into it or having 2 45acp ball bulletts in your can

img.photobucket.com/albums/v706/hemi1488/CIMG0096.jpg

I never clean my cans except for my .22. It is aluminum, so i soak it in ed's red. Doesn't get the lead out, but gets some of the other crud out. I have heard of folks bead blasting the baffles, but don't get carried away or you'll destroy them.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 12:59:23 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I never clean my cans except for my .22. It is aluminum, so i soak it in ed's red. Doesn't get the lead out, but gets some of the other crud out. I have heard of folks bead blasting the baffles, but don't get carried away or you'll destroy them.

may try it next time ,oh mines stainless btw
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 4:40:43 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

thanks

No doubt. Heard this posted countless time's.  Do you have this on macro?

I've had my Vortex2 since 2002 ( maybe 2001 without looking at the form4 ) and It still works just as good as the first day I used it.  The only thing I do is keep the threads clean and soak in mineral spirits.  When it quits workin, It'll get sent back for repair.

The funny part is, the CAN works better than the Ruger mk2 it's been attached to for years.  The gun jams, and needs a spring kit and probably a new extractor.  However the can works just fine.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 9:48:19 AM EDT
[#9]
well i soaked it in 50/50 for 2 days with 3 cleanings...i didnot cap the ends as i didnt know if it would damage the rubber oring i use..

well it completeley got all the gunk out but took the gunkote finish with it so i need to breakout the bead blaster and airbrush now, which doesnot matter since if i pulled it apart to clean it it would have ruined the outside finish anyway. well i weighed it before and after also and i did remove all water inside by washing it out in MEK . there was a 417grain diffrence in weight so i guess it needed it
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 1:12:18 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
well i soaked it in 50/50 for 2 days with 3 cleanings...i didnot cap the ends as i didnt know if it would damage the rubber oring i use..

well it completeley got all the gunk out but took the gunkote finish with it so i need to breakout the bead blaster and airbrush now, which doesnot matter since if i pulled it apart to clean it it would have ruined the outside finish anyway. well i weighed it before and after also and i did remove all water inside by washing it out in MEK . there was a 417grain diffrence in weight so i guess it needed it

Just so that you know, the waste solution, lead acetate is very toxic as is anything with lead. As for the finish, I'd suggest Norrel Molycoat, nothing phases it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top