Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/15/2008 8:45:20 AM EDT
So, I've got one of Green-0's checkmate suppressors.  I took it to the range a while ago and put about 500 rounds down range. I took it apart when I got home and tried to clean it the best i could without taking a wire brush to it.  Anyway,  I guess some of the CLP had eaten some of the lead off of the parts because I went to take it apart again last night.(I forgot that I had cleaned it previously) and lead was flaking out of it.  Anyhow, I also took it apart to grease the threads and baffle stack because I plan on taking it out this weekend again.  I saw some white lithium grease in a spray can and thought it would be a good grease to use on the baffle stack and  threaded end caps.  Will this work to keep most if not some of the lead from building up on the baffles and threads?  Will it all burn up whilst shooting?  Will it cause over pressure if I coat it in a thin/decent film?  Any advice would be appreciated.  Oh, I almost forgot, I made  that the bullets path is unobstructed by grease so as to avoid any possible baffel strikes.  Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 9:14:05 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't know about lithium grease, but I use anti-seize.  I picked up a tube of Permatex Anti-Seize at AutoZone and used an old toothbrush to completely coat the inside of the suppressor tube.  I leave the core alone.  When it's time to clean the suppressor I take it apart and let the pieces soak in a container of mineral spirits.  The anti-seize dissolves and 99% of the carbon just falls off.  I use the core itself to scrape the remaining 1% of the carbon from the inside of the tube.  Works first time, every time.
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 9:33:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 10:39:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Well, I guess I should have asked you.  I will be sure to do an AAR if I go out this weekend.  I'm sure most people are informed of these types of things but why not try something different.  Who knows maybe the white lithium grease will help quiet the can down a little bit more than it already is.
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 7:24:35 AM EDT
[#4]
You should hit up soowah, he is on this board..........

He has this stuff that he puts inside his cans, it is a really thick, I mean really thick blackish grease stuff.

It helps out with FRP, disassembly and fights carbon build-up.........................I will hit him a IM and find out what that stuff is.
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 6:13:54 PM EDT
[#5]
So I went to the range today to test out the white lithium grease. It held up great on the threaded endcaps.  It seems to have done well on the baffle stack as well. I was able to wipe some of it off the baffle stack easily.  I'll definitely get more of a feel for it when I get a chance to clean it really well.  I used clearglide wire pulling gel today and it did really well. I learned a lesson about trying to put too much in there cuz I got a bunch of blowback on my face and hands once. Here are some obligitory pics!

Link Posted: 10/24/2008 11:24:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Great info..........I too use the Anti Seize.  Nice collection you got there.....too bad you had to ruin the pics by wearing that crappy shirt

Go HOOS!
Link Posted: 10/24/2008 11:43:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/25/2008 5:49:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/25/2008 8:02:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/25/2008 1:55:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks Austin.  I really enjoy your checkmate alot.  I will definitely be using it alot for years to come.  I like the AR too. Only thing I need to do is get a new castle nut.  The one I have only has a little dimple on it and I can't get a wrench on it to tighten it up.  It keeps coming lose while firing.  Also, I have to get a heavy buffer. That short barrel w/ can is making that carrier slam back into the tube and it's not funtioning 100%.
Link Posted: 10/25/2008 3:11:32 PM EDT
[#11]
GreenO email sent.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 9:32:03 PM EDT
[#12]
As I understand, Lithium grease is a bugger to get out of your shirts and jackets.  Dont know about the lithium being better than regular grease for this application.  To clean my suppressor, I take a tennis ball can disassemble the suppressor as far as I can, into the can and add wd40 and leave over night... blow dry.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top