Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Posted: 9/16/2014 12:24:20 PM EDT
Yesterday I loaded up 10 rounds of 50 BMG  with 90 grs of trailboss powder and a pulled 655 gr FMJ  with tula primers.
I did not shoot at any target, I was just seeing what they would do over the crono  and how they worked in the rifle. Accuracy test will be latter on in the year.when I get it sighted in good.
I  got an average of 1627.2 FPS  Off the bench seated position  the recoil was very mild and sounded like a 12 ga going off case was very easy to eject  very fun  to shoot and did not bother the people to either side to much.

I also loaded up 200 grs of H50bmg and shot over the crono  and got an average of 2142.4 FPS recoild was a little notticeable but not bad at all  I could shoot all day with the above loads.and not have a sore shoulder.

Just for fun I shot 2 mil. loadings one was a tracer (no rules stooping me at my range shot into a dirt back stop whit no chance of fires)  and only 1 API. when shooting the mil loading the tracer was hard to eject and I had to bang on the bold to get it out, the API I couldn't get the bold to come back at all I had to use the handle of my tomahawk to tap it back so I could get the case out.

Is that normal for a 50 BMG round?

The mil loads where not that bad to shoot nothing like I thought it would be.  The guys on either side of me had umbrellas up and just about in line with muzzle break they did not care for the mil loads of the H50bmg loads I was thinking it may rip the umbrellas as bad as it was moving them.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 9:29:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Yesterday I loaded up 10 rounds of 50 BMG  with 90 grs of trailboss powder and a pulled 655 gr FMJ  with tula primers.
I did not shoot at any target, I was just seeing what they would do over the crono  and how they worked in the rifle. Accuracy test will be latter on in the year.when I get it sighted in good.
I  got an average of 1627.2 FPS  Off the bench seated position  the recoil was very mild and sounded like a 12 ga going off case was very easy to eject  very fun  to shoot and did not bother the people to either side to much.

I also loaded up 200 grs of H50bmg and shot over the crono  and got an average of 2142.4 FPS recoild was a little notticeable but not bad at all  I could shoot all day with the above loads.and not have a sore shoulder.

Just for fun I shot 2 mil. loadings one was a tracer (no rules stooping me at my range shot into a dirt back stop whit no chance of fires)  and only 1 API. when shooting the mil loading the tracer was hard to eject and I had to bang on the bold to get it out, the API I couldn't get the bold to come back at all I had to use the handle of my tomahawk to tap it back so I could get the case out.

The mil loads where not that bad to shoot nothing like I thought it would be.  The guys on either side of me had umbrellas up and just about in line with muzzle break they did not care for the mil loads of the H50bmg loads I was thinking it may rip the umbrellas as bad as it was moving them.
View Quote

Interesting load using Trailboss.The velocity is pretty low-I'd be interested in accuracy when you get around to it.

I run Trailboss in .45 Colt and .45-70 and love it-I also keep plenty on hand,so it would be a nice option for letting someone new shoot the .50 with it.

What rifle are you shooting?
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 1:12:41 AM EDT
[#2]
WRONG THREAD
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 8:17:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Interesting load using Trailboss.The velocity is pretty low-I'd be interested in accuracy when you get around to it.

I run Trailboss in .45 Colt and .45-70 and love it-I also keep plenty on hand,so it would be a nice option for letting someone new shoot the .50 with it.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a 32" zel custom t1 on top a spikes lower
One range I use is only 100 yards this is a great load to use and may even be used for hunting load.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 8:26:44 AM EDT
[#4]
And you didn't take any pictures?
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 3:51:20 PM EDT
[#5]
How full was the case with the Trail Boss?
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 4:33:06 PM EDT
[#6]
I just filled the case to the bottom of the neck. Then weight the charge.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 8:06:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Any accuracy results??
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 9:47:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Not yet.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 4:31:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Just got five containers of Trail boss - I need another gun like a hole in the head but glad to hear it's got another use.  I'm looking into using it with .416 Weatherby which is a baby for this forum but a bit much to shoot with full loads.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 11:07:59 AM EDT
[#10]
I have been using Trailboss in my AR50 for a few years.  I use an 850gr cast bullet over 74.8gr of TB for a velocity of 1608fps and accuracy wise, about 1.25"@100yds.   Remember , TB doesn't like to be compressed and accuracy wise, it is said that it is best at around 90% of case capacity.  Thats just about where my accuracy was with the cast bullet.

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 1:39:48 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I have been using Trailboss in my AR50 for a few years.  I use an 850gr cast bullet over 74.8gr of TB for a velocity of 1608fps and accuracy wise, about 1.25"@100yds.   Remember , TB doesn't like to be compressed and accuracy wise, it is said that it is best at around 90% of case capacity.  Thats just about where my accuracy was with the cast bullet.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d149/Bigdog337/004-4.jpg
View Quote

Do you have a picture of your cast bullets?

Where did you get the bullet molds?

How hard is it to clean up the AR50 barrel and brake after 30-60 rounds of them?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 12:35:53 PM EDT
[#12]
NOE makes the mould.  They are over by Salt lake city.  Excellent mould.   No cleanup for barrel .  No leading.   A towel with a little brake cleaner on it will clean up any lube residue on the brake.  

The mould uses a gas check, but I also have a plain base mould that I am going to try.

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top