Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/14/2014 8:33:34 PM EDT
what is everyone using to remove the  liquid lanolin case lube ? Every time i wet tumble clean with LSD it turns every thing black and sticky .
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 8:48:27 PM EDT
[#1]
While I wet tumbler for clean and prep, I dry tumble about an hour in walnut to delube.

If wet tumbling to delube, it's the soap you add (Dawn?) that should cut the lanolin just fine to dilute and help wash it away. I've done that but ended up preferring to dry tumble for delubing instead.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 9:08:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I wipe sized cases with rags to start the process then tumble in corn cob media for 1/2-1 hour.  Walnut media tends to have the dust stick to  the lube especially inside the neck. The lanolin lube  will reduce the life of the corn cob media though but not too bad.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 9:17:49 PM EDT
[#3]
I have used dawn and had lots of suds after a hour or so but the lube is still on the cases. i have repeated cleaning this way several times  but end up cleaning with a d greasing solvent . even this takes several times to clean the lanolin case lube off.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 9:20:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Dry tumble for a bout a hour
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 10:23:40 PM EDT
[#5]
The only thing I have found is dry tumble for about an hour. Dawn dish soap will not even cut it. It sure does make a mess when you wet tumble with it still on the case. Sometimes when that happens I dump it all out into a five gallon container and flush with clean water until it is clear. Put brass and pins back in the tumbler and add Dawn and Lemishine and wet tumble again and that will usually do it.

V
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 10:44:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 10:52:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Squirt bottle filled with ISO Alcohol

Lay it on a towel, spray and wipe it with towel edges.  

Hundred rounds or so under a minute.  

Isopropyl is the solvent and carrier for lanolin.  

Link Posted: 12/14/2014 10:53:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Hot water with Dawn will get the lanolin off.
You can use the tumbler with or without pins,
or just a 5 gal bucket.
But the water needs to be hot.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 11:21:42 PM EDT
[#9]
I just got a tumbler kit from STM and was wondering about this.

I was using ceramic media in a vibratory cleaner which would not remove the Dillon Case lube. Lube removal was accomplished by spraying some mineral spirits on the brass then tumbling in walnut shell for a few minutes. Then I tried GoJo hand cleaner which has lanolin in it, and is water soluble. I put a dab of GoJo in a ziplock bag, spread it around, then added brass. The brass then went directly into the tumbler, and results were great!

I am going to try the stainless media tumbler with Dawn and Lemishine. If it does not work out, GoJo will be next.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 7:55:17 AM EDT
[#10]
For the OP; I wonder if you noticed that the thread is trending toward DRY tumbling for delubing. I'm pretty sure that these are people who are actually doing it and tried it both ways and are simply reporting their results.
Those who are wet tumbling seem to be doing it twice to get good results.

Also, since you are using the lanolin mix for lube, you didn't specify what ratio you're mixing the lanolin and alcohol to, but maybe, just maybe, you could be making your mix too slimy and leaving too much lanolin.
I use a 1:12 mix which I think most who successfully use lanolin average out to. If you are mixing stronger than that, try using more alcohol and see if that helps.

It doesn't take much lanolin on the cases to make it work well.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 9:34:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Sometimes I soak in hot water/dawn... then wet tumble. Are you using a FA tumbler? My brass turned black once. I thought it was the inside of tumbler rubbing off since I left it in my hot storage room in the TX summer... I had to add extra dawn and re-tumble.

In any case, I add a ton of dawn and wet tumbling works fine. I specifivally wet tumble after  (not dry) because it softens the case mouth (since I either use Dillon trimmer to size or trim with other tools after sizing) and cleans primer pockets.  This makes the most efficient process IMHO. Dont give up on wet tumbling. Add more Dawn.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 11:54:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Never had a problem with just straight up corn cob.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 12:05:42 PM EDT
[#13]
I had to switch to simple green and Lemon shine to remove it. It works great.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 3:42:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 3:47:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Dawn in hot water will always take lanolin off quickly. I do it with water too hot to keep my hands in and it only takes a minute or two of agitating a small bucket or dish pan to get it completely off. I then dry the brass spread out on a baking sheet on the wood stove.  I wouldn't use Simple green because it has ammonia in it.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 5:25:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Dawn in hot water will always take lanolin off quickly. I do it with water too hot to keep my hands in and it only takes a minute or two of agitating a small bucket or dish pan to get it completely off. I then dry the brass spread out on a baking sheet on the wood stove.  I wouldn't use Simple green because it has ammonia in it.
View Quote

Simple green does NOT contain amonia. It's right in their FAQ'S

http://simplegreen.com/faqs/
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 9:03:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Deprime
Wet tumble
Lube - size - trim
Corn cob dry tumble to remove lube
Load
Corn cob dry tumble with polish. (separate media than the delube.)
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 10:01:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for all the replies and Ideas . I am mixing at at 1:10 ratio and I don't have a dry type tumbler .  seems like the Dawn soap will not remove the Lanolin .

Quoted:
Correct, I wet and dry tumble, depending on what I'm doing.

Dry tumbling is easier/faster for lube removal, and no drying time. My cases were already cleaned by wet tumbling.

But I was dry tumbling for 20+ years before wet tumbling came along, so I had dry tumblers around.

Some folks being new to reloading will only have a wet tumbler.

I have wet tumbled the lube off for friends. Their brass wasn't clean to start with anyway.

I just double the amount of Dawn I use to remove the lube.

Good point to ask OP his mix ratio, could be too much lanolin in his mix.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
For the OP; I wonder if you noticed that the thread is trending toward DRY tumbling for delubing. I'm pretty sure that these are people who are actually doing it and tried it both ways and are simply reporting their results.
Those who are wet tumbling seem to be doing it twice to get good results.

Also, since you are using the lanolin mix for lube, you didn't specify what ratio you're mixing the lanolin and alcohol to, but maybe, just maybe, you could be making your mix too slimy and leaving too much lanolin.
I use a 1:12 mix which I think most who successfully use lanolin average out to. If you are mixing stronger than that, try using more alcohol and see if that helps.

It doesn't take much lanolin on the cases to make it work well.
Correct, I wet and dry tumble, depending on what I'm doing.

Dry tumbling is easier/faster for lube removal, and no drying time. My cases were already cleaned by wet tumbling.

But I was dry tumbling for 20+ years before wet tumbling came along, so I had dry tumblers around.

Some folks being new to reloading will only have a wet tumbler.

I have wet tumbled the lube off for friends. Their brass wasn't clean to start with anyway.

I just double the amount of Dawn I use to remove the lube.

Good point to ask OP his mix ratio, could be too much lanolin in his mix.

Link Posted: 12/15/2014 10:25:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Dry tumble with corncob- 30 minutes to 1 hour and it's all gone.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 10:55:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 11:07:49 PM EDT
[#21]
I have used

simple green
Power purple
And Dawn in a wet tumbler
While they all remove most of the lube, I've had issues with some staying inside the case mouth. Fine ball poweder would stick inside

The best method is dry vibratory with walnut.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 1:26:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Tried Dawn/Lemishine tonight - lube is Dillon Case Lube (DCL). My brass still had a film of lube on it after 2 hours in the STM.

I have my doubts about the lanolin concentration making a difference because the alcohol evaporates, ideally even before you start resizing. I will stop at NAPA and get some GoJo- It looked very promising the last few times I used it with ceramic beads. GoJo has lanolin blended with glycol and a small amount of mineral spirits, so it has lanolin in it yet is water soluble. I applied it the same way I apply lube, using a ziploc bag. The lube liquified on contact, and brass went right into the ceramic beads with 100% clean brass after 1 hour.

It is no secret you can remove lube with dry media- And that is OK for small batches, but I want to minimize steps.

1- preclean in dry media (removes dirt, etc)
2- lube then size, swage and trim
3- wet clean
4- add primer, powder and bullet

Next time I get dirty brass I will replace #1 with a wet cleaning to eliminate dry media altogether.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 9:18:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Please try alcohol... Lay it on a towel, spray till wet, let stand a minute and then use the towel to rub them clean.  
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 2:02:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I dry tumble in plain corn cob.
View Quote

Me too; I have done it that way for years.  Works great!
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 8:30:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Please try alcohol... Lay it on a towel, spray till wet, let stand a minute and then use the towel to rub them clean.  
View Quote

First.. that was your 223'rd post... You should get a prize. Maybe one for 308, 556, 3006 too... those are my favorites.

Second, that won't get the lube out of inside the case. Not sure there is much interaction between Lanolin and powder. I just don't want to find out either.

Edit: Third, alcohol is not cheap... not sure the cost comparison though.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 9:51:10 PM EDT
[#26]
4 twelve ounce bottles of ISO-Heet for six bucks on sale.

That is about a three year supply if you don't use it for water in your fuel.

ETA:  make sure it is isopropyl alcohol, the one for diesels is methanol and that stuff is poisonous.  Use a trigger squirt bottle and get the cases wet, rub them down.  Three minutes versus an hour and a half in a tumbler makes it a no-brainer for me.  I never have issues with lube in the case necks cause I don't spray in there.  

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:25:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Laquer thinner. I pour 1 gal in a 2 gal bucket, pour in cases till just under liquid level, agitate a bit, pour into another bucket with custom screen "collander " , shake lightly, then spread out onto old shirts to dry. Repeat as necessary. Easy as pie. De-lubed 1500 .308 cases last night in about 10 minutes. I've  cleaned over 10k cases with only a gallon and a half over the past year. A fan blowing on cleaned cases greatly speeds drying time in colder weather.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 1:27:37 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Hot water with Dawn will get the lanolin off.
You can use the tumbler with or without pins,
or just a 5 gal bucket.
But the water needs to be hot.
View Quote

I found after resizing to immediately wash with dish soap in hot water. I just put them in a coffee can with the solution and roll them around. I then rinse a couple of times and lay out to dry. If you let the cases dry too much, first spray with alcohol, then use the dish soap and hot water.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 9:14:11 AM EDT
[#29]
I just use dawn and hot water sloshed around for a minute rinse repeat dry on heat radiatior in house.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 9:31:10 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I found after resizing to immediately wash with dish soap in hot water. I just put them in a coffee can with the solution and roll them around. I then rinse a couple of times and lay out to dry. If you let the cases dry too much, first spray with alcohol, then use the dish soap and hot water.
View Quote

This has been working for me as well. I usually give it a spray or two with the HEET regardless, since I bought a 4 pack and have 2 extra bottles sitting around.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 11:07:53 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
ETA:  make sure it is isopropyl alcohol, the one for diesels is methanol and that stuff is poisonous.
View Quote

Only if you drink it as is isopropyl alcohol.

V
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 6:09:55 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

V

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

ETA:  make sure it is isopropyl alcohol, the one for diesels is methanol and that stuff is poisonous.

V

Methanol can be absorbed through the skin and vapors inhaled ...

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 7:29:36 PM EDT
[#33]
I use this same method also , put brass on the towel , or an old tshirt , spray it down good with the Isopropyl from a plastic spray bottle , then
pick it up by all 4 corners and shake it up and down , then put brass on a clean surface , you can do 500  in less than 10 minutes    

when I lube my brass with the Lanolin , I use a couple of the plastic shopping bags , put one inside the other ,just in case one has a hole in it , spray  in the lube , put in the brass , shake it around then pour out on a clean surface , I put mine on a clear plastic lens from a 2x4 floresent light fixture with the bumps facing up , brass will not role off on you that way ..    

Quoted:
4 twelve ounce bottles of ISO-Heet for six bucks on sale.

That is about a three year supply if you don't use it for water in your fuel.

ETA:  make sure it is isopropyl alcohol, the one for diesels is methanol and that stuff is poisonous.  Use a trigger squirt bottle and get the cases wet, rub them down.  Three minutes versus an hour and a half in a tumbler makes it a no-brainer for me.  I never have issues with lube in the case necks cause I don't spray in there.  

View Quote

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 12:48:19 PM EDT
[#34]
With my "shine" version of the DCL this works 100% for me. As you can see there are many ways to do it, this is the fastest and easiest for me.
1-18 ratio works best. Pistol calibers I find no appreciatable advantage to lube with carbide dies on my XL650 and in fact makes cleaning the dies a chore I choose not to do very often. Wet tumble then load.
Rifle calibers two step process anyway so why make it three.
New and improved method requires only one cleaning and two processes. No more depriming stage to wet tumble first.

LUBE Brass with shine version of DCL

Stage 1
Brass prep tool head

Station 1 - Dillon .223 Carbide Sizing/Decapping Die sized to 85%
Station 2 - Empty naked to the wind
Station 3 - Dillon 1200b Trimmer with custom insert pin and attach vacuum. Trim die set to size the other 15% which makes sure the case does not spin.
Station 4 - Empty naked to the wind
Station 5 - Lyman M Die -set to knock of any inside burr and put a extreme very slight flare in less than .002

Wet Tumble preped brass
Dawn, water and Lemi shine
Cleans off any lube out side and more importantly gets ride of all lube from the inside of the case necks, also pretty much guarantees any burrs left will be gone and makes the cases look brand new.
Hornady pocket ream primer pockets if necessary.

Stage 2
load.
Enjoy.

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 9:20:07 PM EDT
[#35]
I have no problem wet tumbling the lanolin off. 1 hour in dawn only change water and 1-2 more hours in Wash+Wax and lemishine. I don't see what your problem could be.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 9:44:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I have no problem wet tumbling the lanolin off. 1 hour in dawn only change water and 1-2 more hours in Wash+Wax and lemishine. I don't see what your problem could be.
View Quote

I totally agree, I am never in that much of a hurry.

V
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 9:58:50 PM EDT
[#37]
I usually want to reload them as soon as possible so I just use Coleman fuel in a 2-1/2 gal bucket, strain through 1/4 hardware cloth, dry in about 10 min.
I pour the fuel back into the can and label it. I reuse it till it leaves a slight sticky feel to it, about 20 to 30 K
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:22:35 AM EDT
[#38]
I dry tumble in corn for 1-2 hours.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 5:24:14 AM EDT
[#39]
Ultrasonic cleaner,  throw cleaned brass in a spaghetti strainer.   Set on boot rack in clothes dryer and dry for an hour.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top