Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/18/2005 12:40:25 PM EDT
How accurate is one of these? Anyone have one? What kind of groupings is it capable of? Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 3:19:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Run, Forrest, run!!!! The abortion known as the 710 is without a doubt the worst centerfire rifle Remington has ever put out - whoever dreamt up that POS should be beaten severely.... For almost the same amount of $$$, you can buy a used 700, Model 70, or nearly buy a NEW Savage - all much better choices....

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 4:26:25 PM EDT
[#2]

remington 710 accuracy

That's possibly the first time anyone has put those words together.

The 710 will hit a deer-sized target, that's about it. That's all it was designed for, as a (not very) cheap deer gun. And it doesn't really shoot groups, it shoots a pattern more like a scattergun.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 6:53:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Damn. Alright, thanks guys.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 8:08:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Do any of us have any firsthand experience with this thing or are we just repeating what we heard somewhere?  The thing looks like a pos to me, but how about some firsthand info?  
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 10:06:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 11:16:51 AM EDT
[#6]
I have shot 2 of them, handled 5 or 6 others, and have two friends besides who have bought them(unfortunately) - I could not, in all good conscience, recommend one of them to anyone... The 2 I shot would get 2" groups at 100 yards, but no better - and the action on those things is TERRIBLE - as is the mag set-up.... As I said, I'd buy a used 700, 70, or a new Savage before I'd buy one of those POSs - and I'm probably one of the most loyal Remington fans you'll ever want to meet...

Another good option in the same price range is a Howa, or Weatherby Vanguard...

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 1:18:40 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Another good option in the same price range is a Howa, or Weatherby Vanguard...

- georgestrings

I got the Weatherby Vanguard and like it alot. Of course I only payed $160 for it NIB from wally world
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 7:29:46 PM EDT
[#8]
"Of course I only payed $160 for it NIB from wally world"

Now that's gotta be a best buy ever.... I've regretfully passed on a few Vanguards - and they were good rifles(no $$$ at the time)... I also had a chance to buy NIB Model 70s for $200 apiece - in .30-06 and 7mmMag(now if one was in .308....)...

Those 710s might not be such a bad deal at $100 - but a MUCH better rifle can be had for their asking price, IMO...

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 9:20:42 PM EDT
[#9]
I had one, in 30-06.  I'm surprised all these people are bashing it considering mine ( the only one I've fired) consistently got 3/4 inch groups at 100 yards with Barnaul.  Granted, the action felt really crappy, and parts aren't easily available, so if that's what people are griping about, then I'd agree.  However, as previously stated, I'm very happy with accuracy.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 12:53:41 AM EDT
[#10]
my friend bought one a couple of years ago. the 710 is a decent gun but isnt worth the price you pay. i wouldnt hunt with it and got 4-5 inch groupings at best. at 400 yds he found it hard to put anything on a target, and the rifle was scoped. the action feels horrible and the whole setup is just a pain in the ass.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 4:23:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Get a Savage,or save till you can get a 700.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 4:58:34 AM EDT
[#12]
I work the range during the open sight in prior to deer season....I have seen and shot these abominations first hand.

READ MY LIPS...."DO NOT BUY ONE IF YOU WANT ANYTHING BETTER THAN 4" GROUPS AT   100 YDS"

That said...Reminton has sold a lot of them...this past year, I bet I saw at least 12 show up on one day alone. (We open the range to the public for the two weekends prior to the deer season. We offer on site gunsmithing and assistance in sighting in. Very controled environment...it has to be considering some of the locals who only shoot their guns this time every year)
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 2:06:57 PM EDT
[#13]
My dad bought one. Put a hundred rounds through it and then the problems started. Accurate?? At first it was shooting about 1-11/2" groups at 100, slowly over time the groups started to open up. Then the corners on the locking lugs were starting to get rounded off. Everytime my dad took it to the range he would have some sort of problem with it. The trigger is terrible, the bolts doesn't operate smoothly and is in general a big POS! My brother and I got dad a Weatherby Vanguard for Christmas. For the same price or a few bucks more, you'd be better served with a Savage package gun. You'd be surprise at how accurate the Savage is.

Later,

Dave
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 5:27:37 PM EDT
[#14]
So I had the only accurate rifle so far?  Strange.  guess I shouldn't have hacked into for a project.  But what do you expect for $350 with a scope?
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 8:04:15 AM EDT
[#15]
My dad wanted a cheap hunting rifle so I went and got him a 710 in .270.  The action is akward to work and the grey stock is shitty looking... but the first 4 groups out of that gun were 2 MOA easily.  I'm sorry but for all the whining going on over the 710, I don't see anything wrong.  Its just a cheap rifle for people who want a cheap rifle.  It wasn't intended to be anything more.  Cost effectivness was their goal and thats what they accomplished.  O yeah...all groups were 5 shots, not 3.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 8:06:51 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
at 400 yds he found it hard to put anything on a target, and the rifle was scoped. the action feels horrible and the whole setup is just a pain in the ass.

Wasn't intended to be a precision rifle... and again like you said the bolt is a bitch to work if you're in a hurry.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top