Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/22/2006 11:09:50 AM EDT
my m1 came with a stencil on the butt stock written in korean, also a narrow sling with korean letters stenciled on it with the date 1990. anybody know anthing about this? should i remove the stencil? does it take away from the value of the gun? thanks................
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 12:02:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Who is the mfg of the carbine?  Are there any other markings on the stock??  
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 12:17:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Look on the heel of the reciver for the mfg'r.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 1:41:51 PM EDT
[#3]
The stock and sling markings are probably unit or rack identification numbers \ symbols. They are part of the history of the carbine and I wouldn't remove them.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 8:36:11 AM EDT
[#4]
There is an Iver Johnson M1 carbine (serial AAxxx) at my local shop that sounds similar. It has a large yellow block stencil on the buttstock containing two digits and, what appears to be, one kanji character. They wanted like $250 for it.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 9:22:30 AM EDT
[#5]
In the early 90's a bunch of carbines and Garands were imported back from S.Korea. They were used by thier defense forces up until then. It most likely has an import marks on the barrel also so really no collecter value. Just shoot it and enjoy it.
As a side note I was stationed there in the late 70's and saw carbines and Garand's all the time when they had weekend drills.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 9:30:52 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
There is an Iver Johnson M1 carbine (serial AAxxx) at my local shop that sounds similar. It has a large yellow block stencil on the buttstock containing two digits and, what appears to be, one kanji character. They wanted like $250 for it.

Sounds like a Korean replacement stock, which go for $20-25 at gun shows.

$250 is a good price for an I-J carbine. Grab it!
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 11:45:40 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
my m1 came with a stencil on the butt stock written in korean, also a narrow sling with korean letters stenciled on it with the date 1990. anybody know anthing about this? should i remove the stencil? does it take away from the value of the gun? thanks................

The Koreans painted their stocks instead of using linseed oil like the US did. If you get rid of all the Korean mumbo jumbo you'll probably find a decent looking piece of wood underneath.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 1:16:36 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
$250 is a good price for an I-J carbine. Grab it!

$257 out the door. Thanks, snake!
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:10:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top