Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/20/2008 6:10:59 AM EDT
 what  are the requirements for legally purchasing dynamite ?? It would be quite useful to clear some land and beaver dams  I have a problem dealing with .
 Is it a state by state thing or f4deral regs apply ???
I hear tell of people used to be able to purchase it at the hardware store but I don't think so anymore .
Link Posted: 2/20/2008 7:44:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Federal, you have to have a lisence to possess it, HAZMAT lisence to move it, proper and inspected explosives magazine to store it, and im pretty sure you have to do more paperowrk to prove you actually used it when where and how.

It's a good bit of paperwork i hope those beavers aren't on the offensive because it can take a while to get all that done.
Link Posted: 2/20/2008 8:48:24 AM EDT
[#2]
use Tannerite
Link Posted: 2/20/2008 8:59:57 AM EDT
[#3]
what the heck is tannerite ?? I thought that was just a type of reactionary target ???
Link Posted: 2/20/2008 9:03:19 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
what the heck is tannerite ?? I thought that was just a type of reactionary target ???

It is, but if placed in the right spots it seems to move objects pretty well (probably work well for your beaver dams).  Just trying to give you a legal option.
Link Posted: 2/20/2008 9:30:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Visit Youtube you can see many examples of tannerite there.
Link Posted: 2/20/2008 9:33:39 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It is, but if placed in the right spots it seems to move objects pretty well (probably work well for your beaver dams).  Just trying to give you a legal option.

Tannerite is just Ammonium nitrate and Aluminum powder with some other crap mixed in for flash, smoke, and a little extra oomph.

But all you really need are the two ingredients I listed.  Mix 95% AN with 5% Aluminum.  You can set it off with a rifle round or maybe a really hot pistol round.
Link Posted: 2/20/2008 9:49:22 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
 what  are the requirements for legally purchasing dynamite ?? It would be quite useful to clear some land and beaver dams  I have a problem dealing with .
I hear tell of people used to be able to purchase it at the hardware store but I don't think so anymore .

I had a blasting permit ten years ago and people would not sell to a private individual even way back then. You had to be part of a corporation doing seismic stuff or mining, etc.

Forget it. Not going to happen, especially now with the Feds breating down everyone's neck, but then you would know that already, right?  
Link Posted: 2/20/2008 1:07:12 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is it legal to use tannerite for anything more than a "flash-bang" show?
Link Posted: 2/21/2008 4:34:26 AM EDT
[#9]
He would be using it for a flash bang show, just a few added extras.
Link Posted: 2/21/2008 5:39:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Tannerite works wonders for beaver dams, stumps, and household appliances. It kind of makes them disappear.
Link Posted: 2/22/2008 2:33:58 AM EDT
[#11]
My understanding is there's a safer alternative to dynamite available these days with less hassle. Some sort of binary, works just like dynamite. I forget the name, but it comes in 1 stick equivalents.
Link Posted: 2/22/2008 3:29:52 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
My understanding is there's a safer alternative to dynamite available these days with less hassle. Some sort of binary, works just like dynamite. I forget the name, but it comes in 1 stick equivalents.

Could it be called tannerite? That is what we have been talking about. You can use as little or as much as you want.
Link Posted: 2/22/2008 3:45:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Feel free to take a look at the formula we use here. It costs about $0.30 a pound, and works great.
Link Posted: 2/23/2008 2:56:35 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Could it be called tannerite? That is what we have been talking about. You can use as little or as much as you want.

No. This is meant to be used as an explosive, and I think it is a liquid. I did find nitro sticks on the site, which sound similar. The activator is liquid, requires a blasting cap to detonate. Fixor sounds similar also.
Link Posted: 2/23/2008 8:23:50 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Feel free to take a look at the formula we use here. It costs about $0.30 a pound, and works great.

RYjones , I went to your sight  but didn't see the recipe ... anyone care to elaborate ??
also can the ingredients be purchased through mail order ?? thanks
Link Posted: 2/23/2008 8:29:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Hire a Licensed blaster...

Or Tannerite...Legal and more fun
Link Posted: 2/23/2008 8:40:27 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Try here. The info is still free and it is even correct.
Link Posted: 3/9/2008 9:24:15 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Tannerrite is a binary This stuff is a lot hotter than tannerrite and He will make 2lbs sizes if you ask gatlingguns.com/rimscarecrowHP2.asp a 22lr at 100 yards will set it off. Tannrite is around 10,000 fps the 22 mix is around 14,000 fps. The 22 mix is the same as the normal binary. 1/2 pound of rimfire mix is = to a det gel stick.
Link Posted: 3/9/2008 10:46:16 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

RYjones , I went to your sight  but didn't see the recipe ... anyone care to elaborate ??

+1
I saw the description of what was in it, but no ratios
Link Posted: 3/9/2008 11:30:49 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1
I saw the description of what was in it, but no ratios

here are the ratios
Link Posted: 3/12/2008 6:34:01 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No. This is meant to be used as an explosive, and I think it is a liquid. I did find nitro sticks on the site, which sound similar. The activator is liquid, requires a blasting cap to detonate. Fixor sounds similar also.

Yes, it's called Kinepak. There are a few others out there. But Kinepak is the most well known, outside of ANFO.

I applied for my type 40 users license. I then started checking around for dealers that would sell it. I've only found 2 that would sell to an individual. Needless to say I just used tannerite on my beaver dam problem.

But others have hit the nail. Even with the binary type explosives, you still have to have a type IV magazine to hold the blasting caps and det cord.
Link Posted: 3/12/2008 7:15:53 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I applied for my type 40 users license. I then started checking around for dealers that would sell it. I've only found 2 that would sell to an individual.

Ain't that the truth.

Quoted:
But others have hit the nail. Even with the binary type explosives, you still have to have a type IV magazine to hold the blasting caps and det cord.

Best advice we got from the ATF: build a mobile magazine, you're gonna need it. Honestly, I'd never build another fixed magazine. The requirements for mobile magazines are much lower and if you're only picking up a day's worth, much easier to deal with.

For me, the deal breaker was needing a CDL + HAZMAT to legally transport over open road.

ETA: Actually, the best advice was STAY AWAY FROM FLASH POWDER. The second best was NO REALLY, STAY AWAY FROM THAT STUFF, IT WILL KILL YOU. THE GUY WHO WROTE THE BOOK ON SAFELY HANDLING IT? HE KILLED HIMSELF WITH A FLASH POWDER ACCIDENT.
Link Posted: 3/12/2008 7:20:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Sometimes the County Commissioners will give it to you in OKlahoma to keep beavers from building up a lake or pond that could wash out and take out a country bridge.
Try your local County Agent too.
He may have a solution for the beavers.
Link Posted: 3/12/2008 7:58:56 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Best advice we got from the ATF: build a mobile magazine, you're gonna need it. Honestly, I'd never build another fixed magazine. The requirements for mobile magazines are much lower and if you're only picking up a day's worth, much easier to deal with.

That was exactly my plan, however the local guy near my property wouldn't sell. Soooooo ordering in was the only option. Which in my case was the deal buster.

I never thought about building one (mobile magazine) but found some really cool ones online.
Link Posted: 3/12/2008 9:16:09 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That was exactly my plan, however the local guy near my property wouldn't sell. Soooooo ordering in was the only option. Which in my case was the deal buster.

I never thought about building one (mobile magazine) but found some really cool ones online.

Look into the regs for a "daybox". they're even lighter than a mobile magazine. If you're only moving a couple spools of det cord and some caps, they're the ticket.
Link Posted: 3/19/2008 11:40:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Looks like fun but darn I have enough trouble finding a place to shoot full auto much less start blowing up my favorite good groups
Link Posted: 4/3/2008 12:32:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Tannerite is the commercial name for what mining companies have used for decades.  It is also what was used in the OK Fed building.  The difference are the ingredients.  You can legally use Tannerite (AN + AL) but anything more to the mix and you could be in danger of making an explosive (which is against the law).  If AN (ammonium nitrate) does the job then you're set (you don't even need the AL (aluminum).  Now finding it has gotten nearly impossible.  AN is a common fertilizer for things like trees and bushes, but has been replaced by its less reactive brother AS (ammonium sulfate).  So good luck finding that stuff.
Link Posted: 4/3/2008 4:30:01 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Tannerite is the commercial name for what mining companies have used for decades.  It is also what was used in the OK Fed building.  The difference are the ingredients.  You can legally use Tannerite (AN + AL) but anything more to the mix and you could be in danger of making an explosive (which is against the law).  If AN (ammonium nitrate) does the job then you're set (you don't even need the AL (aluminum).  Now finding it has gotten nearly impossible.  AN is a common fertilizer for things like trees and bushes, but has been replaced by its less reactive brother AS (ammonium sulfate).  So good luck finding that stuff.

Almost everything you are saying is incorrect. Tannerite is not used in mining commercially (too expensive); it is not what was used for OKBOM (that was ANNM plus some HE boosters); Tannerite is a high explosive as is (using both classic "high explosive" and ATFE definitions); Tannerite is potentially legal in many states (don't get me started on this one); AN is being replaced, mostly, by prilled urea.

If you don't know what you're talking about, please withhold commentary.
Link Posted: 4/5/2008 5:25:42 PM EDT
[#29]
The USDA will do it for free! Call your local USDA-APHIS-Wildlife services office. That's part of their programs and they seem to enjoy blowing up beaver dams.
Link Posted: 4/5/2008 8:00:42 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
The USDA will do it for free! Call your local USDA-APHIS-Wildlife services office. That's part of their programs and they seem to enjoy blowing up beaver dams.

If you're lucky. I'm still waiting on them, from 2 years ago. The field agents do not like to be bothered apparently. The main office would never give me a direct contact number.
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 6:58:08 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

I was at the first  suppressor shoot in GA of 07(the one in the spring) and the  Tannerite under the hood of a Car went off and it shot the hood well over 100 feet in the air..... I'm not sure if anyone has video of that. I got pictures of the after math but not of the actual boom.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top