Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/12/2006 2:56:12 PM EDT
Hello with the price of .223 and 7.62x39 ammo ive been kicking around the idea of getting a 8mm surplus ammo eater as a blaster.

whats a better rilfle what the going prices for them in vg-ex condition and what would be better for aleft handed shooter

thanks
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:39:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Warning, cheap Turk ammo is not your friend when it comes to most semi-autos.

Aside from that, the FN is a neat rifle.  As for the Hakim, it is essentially an 8mm Ljungmann build on equipment purchased from the Swedes.  Earlier imports were Israeli captures from Egypt.  Later ones came directly from the Egyptians.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:29:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:56:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Both are great rifles. I had one of each in 8mm. My Hakim was very accurate with Yugo 70s ammo, so I sold my FN49.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 10:45:15 PM EDT
[#4]
i heard the hakim blows gas in shooters face would it be worse for a lefty

right now im looking at a hakim for $450 and a fn49 at $550 both are in primo condition are those fair prices
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 9:02:27 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
i heard the hakim blows gas in shooters face would it be worse for a lefty

Sort of. It operates on the same principle as an AR. Direct GAS impingment. In an AR when the bolt goes back any (most all) gas vents out the ejection port. On the Hakim/Ljungman the whole cover slides back with the bolt, giving 180 degrees of exposure for the gas tube to vent out of....and the tube is considerably larger than the little one in an AR.

I have both a Hakim and a Ljungman. Except for the first one or two shoots from a barrel that still has clp/oil in it, I haven't felt it to be a problem.

The FN49 was the model prior to the FAL and operates pretty much exactly the same way. If your familiar with a FAL you will be comfortable with a FN49. Think of it as a FAL without a dust cover and the bolt handle on the right side. (and of course no readily detachable mag)
Top Top