BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/3/2002 4:17:16 PM EDT
Check it out at www.mmag.biz
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 8:11:03 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Check it out at www.mmag.biz

Where is the URL Nazi when you need him?
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 8:13:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Dude!  Is this for real?

Link Posted: 10/3/2002 8:15:32 PM EDT
[#3]
$995, eh?  Introductory price.  What's the regular price I wonder?

-Gloftoe
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 8:17:13 PM EDT
[#4]
if that is for real it is very tempting.
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 9:05:16 PM EDT
[#5]
If that's for real, my wife's going to murder me.

-Gloftoe
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 9:18:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/4/2002 8:01:11 AM EDT
[#7]
I hope it's legit too.  It's under a grand and it's a bolt action.  Way better than the screw in bolt deal.
Link Posted: 10/4/2002 8:15:45 AM EDT
[#8]
I wonder how much accuracy you lose at that price - I mean, the barrel says it's a "Made In Usa" but with "Many Options Available"... like a Lothar Walther Match barrel option maybe?

I think I'd give Mark Serbu a call first and ask him about his involvement.

What's the other AR-15 / .50 BMG conversion out there? Also made in Florida...
Link Posted: 10/4/2002 8:35:03 AM EDT
[#9]
The other Floridian fifty - www.ferret50.com/
Link Posted: 10/4/2002 8:37:49 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I think that's a good idea.
Link Posted: 10/4/2002 11:09:52 AM EDT
[#11]
I also notice that it's not a "drop-in" .50 upper like a Ferret.  For the one pictured above, you'd need a dedicated lower.  So add a couple hundred bucks onto the price right there, for the stripped RRA lower and the parts kit.  

Still mighty tempting, though...whoever talks to Serbu, let the rest of the group know what you learn.
Link Posted: 10/4/2002 11:26:03 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I also notice that it's not a "drop-in" .50 upper like a Ferret.  For the one pictured above, you'd need a dedicated lower.  So add a couple hundred bucks onto the price right there, for the stripped RRA lower and the parts kit.  

Uh, what?  What makes you think it's not a drop on conversion?

-Gloftoe

Edited to add that I read the post below, and it is really not a drop on conversion.. Sorry!
Link Posted: 10/4/2002 1:18:02 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Here is what MArk had to say on www.biggerhammer.com

In lieu of answering all the email messages sent to me on this, I'll just post some info here. First of all, yes, I did completely design MMAG's MAG-50 upper. Some of it (scope base, barrel, muzzle brake, handguard, bipod attachment) is directly lifted from the BFG-50 Carbine. The features that make this design unique are the following: 1) The bolt travels on the same centerline as the original AR-15 bolt. Because of this, a BFG-50 style hammer is used which imparts almost 50% more energy to the firing pin than does a standard AR-15 hammer. This is possible because of the increased windup of the hammer spring. 2) The hammer can be manually recocked by reaching through the ejection port. In the event that an incredibly hard primer is encountered and won't go off on the first try, the hammer can easily be recocked. No unlocking of the bolt is required, reducing pucker factor to zero. 3) The bolt handle acts as a redundant safety lug. 4) Fixed headspace. If you want to change barrels, you unscrew one barrel and screw in another; no messing with gauges. Virtually any size or brand .50 BMG barrel on the market can be made to fit. 5) Can eject an unfired or misfired round. Because of the bolt design, there's enough travel to allow this. I'm sure I don't need to stress how important this is. 6) Plunger ejector. In an internal hammer-fired bolt action (which I invented...none existed before the BFG-50) you don't have a striker spring acting to keep the lugs in contact with the receiver, as it is in a traditional bolt-action rifle. Without a plunger ejector if you have an undersized round (and there are LOTS of them out there, trust me!), you WILL impact load the lugs and the receiver. So aside from doing its duty of ejecting spent cases out of the gun, the plunger ejector serves a much more valuable purpose. 7) Replacable scope base. Angled or flat, you can change it to whatever you want. 8) Custom buttstock. Mike's offering it as an option, but I think it's a must have. Now you can shoot a .50 BMG upper on an AR-15 and not have the marks embossed in your shoulder to prove it. Fits any AR-15 lower and accomodates a sling as well. 9) I designed it, and it's under $1000!! :-) That's about all I can think of for now. I'll be glad to answer questions here on Biggerhammer, but please don't call the shop about the MAG-50...Call Mike!

Mark Serbu

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top