Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 10/28/2010 3:04:10 PM EDT
can you shoot a .22lr out of a .22 magnum cylinder? i allready know you cant shoot a .22 mag out of a .22lr cylinder.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 4:50:13 PM EDT
yup.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 4:54:12 PM EDT
No. This isn't like .38sp/.357 or .44sp/.44mag.

.22lr bullets are the same diameter as the case they are in. The bullets have a rebated base.

.22mag has a wider case and larger rim, with a .224 bullet.

The .22lr going off in the larger cylinder will cause the case to over expand and quite possibly rupture.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 5:05:27 PM EDT
The gun won't blow but much of the time the case will tend to split/rupture which blows all sorts of debirs every which way.
I would expect accuracy and power will be degraded (not that a mini derringer has a whole lot of either in the first place)
I seem to remember one of the derringers haveing both cylinders but I don't know if it was a charter arms or the NAA
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 5:19:36 PM EDT
Absolutely not! Get the 22 cylinder made for the black widow to shoot 22 out of the 22magnum frame and yes, accuracy if you get any with such a short barrel will be null and void. A belly gun at best.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 7:20:19 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ToeTag:
Absolutely not! Get the 22 cylinder made for the black widow to shoot 22 out of the 22magnum frame and yes, accuracy if you get any with such a short barrel will be null and void. A belly gun at best.

barrel length is irrelevant with regard to inherent accuracy. The overall size of these guns makes them nearly impossible for a person to actually see what they will do––and on the point a the lack of accuracy created by that situation, I will agree with you. I can't shoot my 1 7/8" worth a damn due to the size of the thing. It's impossible to hold it in a manner that allows use of the sights while maintaining a decent grip.

With a two shot derringer that dad owns, I can regularly hit spent 12 gauge hulls at ten to fifteen paces with the top barrel. I never figured out the proper sight alignment to hit with the bottom. I do pretty well to hit a paper plate at the same distance with my NAA because it's just so difficult to hold.
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 1:19:12 PM EDT
The Black Widow is a completely different from the ‘pocket’ guns…

Link

They come in 2” or 4” barrels with either Fixed or Adjustable sights

A new contender is The Earl

All are available as .22 Mag with an option for .22LR cylinder.
Link Posted: 10/30/2010 8:43:17 AM EDT
If you get the folding grip for the NAA revolvers, then you can have a normal grip.
Top Top