Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/1/2006 5:11:53 PM EDT
hey there.  my dad's mini looks like the ejector is missing.  how easy is it to take the bolt out/apart to put a new one in?  i can work on an ar15 bolt, but this mini looks a lot different.  if anyone knew where there was a step by step for tearing a mini 14 down-that'd be great.  thanks.

jake
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 6:37:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Send it in to Ruger and have them fix it.

I have herd nothing but good things about Rugers repair policy.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 8:01:45 PM EDT
[#2]
In addition, there are many components of the mini that ruger simply won't sell as parts.  They say they must be "fitted by the factory"...

That either means extremely good quality control, or extremely poor quality control...

Not bashing Ruger, I have three of their rifles including a mini...
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 8:07:39 PM EDT
[#3]
As previously stated, they most likely won't sell you the parts.  You'll have to send the rifle to them for repairs.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 8:49:23 PM EDT
[#4]
not even a smith can fix it then?

jake
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 9:25:10 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
As previously stated, they most likely won't sell you the parts.  You'll have to send the rifle to them for repairs.

Yet another reason I will never own one.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 9:44:21 PM EDT
[#6]
I would imagine it disassembles about like an M14/M1A bolt does. Is the spring missing too??

The only hope you have is to accept the fact that you are already dead. And the sooner you accept that, the sooner you will be able to function as a soldier is supposed to function, without mercy, without compassion, without remorse.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 12:46:15 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
hey there.  my dad's mini looks like the ejector is missing.  how easy is it to take the bolt out/apart to put a new one in?  i can work on an ar15 bolt, but this mini looks a lot different.  if anyone knew where there was a step by step for tearing a mini 14 down-that'd be great.  thanks.

jake

Actually, the parts listed HERE (.pdf file) don't have a * next to them meaning that they don't require fitting...  

As for the actual replacing of the part, let me take a look at mine to see how it could be done.

Contact info for Ruger is listed on the first page of the pdf.  I recently ordered a bunch of parts for my dad's 10/22 to replace a bunch that were broken or lost.  cost me all of five bucks to get a 20 year old 10/22 running again.  The parts should arrive within two weeks of ordering them.

Back in a few minutes...

ETA:  Sorry dude, can't help you with dissassembly.  I have a Ranch Rifle which, although resembling a Mini-14, has a completely different ejector system...

It would appear from the pictures that the ejector and firing pin are held in by the extractor which is held in by the extractor detent and spring.  

I suppose you could fix the thing if you feel inclined to do it.  The only parts that you cannot get are the entire bolt assembly and the firing pin.  If you have those, and some mechanical ability, I would say give it a shot.  If you can't get it back together, just send the gun to Ruger, and they will do it for you.  Don't know what they will charge, but it shouldn't be much.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 3:32:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:46:49 AM EDT
[#9]
you guys are great, i much appreciate the info and all time took to look up and check on various aspects of my problem.  i will talk to ruger and see what kind of money we're looking at.  thanks guys.

jake
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 9:29:29 AM EDT
[#10]

However, Ruger will not sell you an extractor. What to do?

No, check the pdf.

Only parts with a * next to them require factory fitting.  All others are available for purchase seperately...
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:18:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 9:52:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Put a screw driver through the hole in the trigger guard and lever the guard out. everything will basically come right apart. The bolt itself is kind of tough to wiggle out, youjust need the right angle. People seem to not like the mini 14 I like it. I wonder if the smae people dont like the  Garand and M14?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top