BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 20
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 10:15:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Mini-14 insert will not fit in the Samson stock.  I have a bunch of them sitting around that I tried. In my experience the older Mini-14s will not fit real well without bending the lugs, but the new ones are a better fit.  I have a second stock coming this week and I'll see if the fitment is the same.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There is evidence that the stock reinforcement which is screwed into the receiver area of Mini-30 wooden stocks is a different part number than the almost identical item for Mini-14 stocks.  IMHO, it would not be surprising if the incorrect stock reinforcement was shipped with the Samson stock.  Unless one looks carefully, they are almost identical in appearance.  If this happened, then contact the vendor or perhaps Samson, and explain your problem.

If needed, I suggest obtaining the correct parts from Ruger.  You will need your complete serial number to do so.  There are other vendors, but please supply them with the Series # and Serial # to assist them.  Series number is the first group of digits, serial number is the last group of digits

The stainless steel stock liner fits in the fore-end of the rifle, and you should order it the same way as the stock reinforcement.   I don't know if there is a difference in the stock liner between the Mini-30 and the Mini-14.

Both are items are required for wooden stocks.  Some synthetic stocks don't use the Stock reinforcement.

Here is a link to a person having the same problem, and their post has pix of the mini-30 and mini-14 stock liners, with differences highlighted: https://www.perfectunion.com/vb/ruger-mini-14-mini-30/207148-tm-folding-stock-4.html#post1650244

At the risk of being wordy, I will add that if there any fitment problems between the correct stock reinforcement and the "legs" of the receiver (IOW, if there is an "overlap" instead of a "butt joint"), then modify the stock reinforcement >>just enough<< to allow the proper "butt joint".  A possible sign of an "overlap" condition is that the mags will not drop free on their own.  Look carefully, top and bottom, with a good light to see if there are any possible fitment problems.  

The Mini-14 insert will not fit in the Samson stock.  I have a bunch of them sitting around that I tried. In my experience the older Mini-14s will not fit real well without bending the lugs, but the new ones are a better fit.  I have a second stock coming this week and I'll see if the fitment is the same.
When you say "bending the lugs", I presume you mean "bending the stock reinforcement"; Is that correct?  If so, do you bend the stock reinforcement that came with the Samson stock?  Or a different type of stock reinforcement?  Can you describe how the item is bent?

@EagleArmsHRAR

Link Posted: 8/31/2020 8:54:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/31/2020 8:59:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Well that's concerning. Samson emailed me for updated payment info and said mine should be shipping out within a couple of weeks...but I'm pretty sure my police trade-in Mini-14 is an older style gun. It would suck if it doesn't fit in the stock.
View Quote
The gun will fit in the stock, but it isn't a perfect fit. There are pics a few pages back where someone showed the figment issue that can be solved by slightly bending the stock reinforce the plate. I haven't bent mine yet and I haven't shot it either. I don't know if it's really an issue or not.
Link Posted: 8/31/2020 8:26:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The gun will fit in the stock, but it isn't a perfect fit. There are pics a few pages back where someone showed the figment issue that can be solved by slightly bending the stock reinforce the plate. I haven't bent mine yet and I haven't shot it either. I don't know if it's really an issue or not.
View Quote
If possible, would you please give the page number of such mods?
Link Posted: 8/31/2020 9:08:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/31/2020 11:23:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Haven't heard about many fitment issues with the new folder and existing Mini-14s over at PerfectUnion.com, but there have been some complaints.

People having fitment issues would be well-advised to state the Series Number of their Mini-14 rifle.  There might be differences between the various series of Mini-14 rifles.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 9:53:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:AFAIK, the Ruger/Samson stocks have not yet been offered for any Mini-30 rifle.
View Quote

Per the description from shopRuger.com:
"The A-TM Folding Stock features a drop-in fit using the customers' pre-existing Ruger Mini-14® or Mini Thirty® Rifle components."
The stock fit my Mini-30 just fine.  I was going to try my 181 and 185 series Mini-14 in it as well to see if there are any issues.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 1:50:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Per the description from shopRuger.com:
"The A-TM Folding Stock features a drop-in fit using the customers' pre-existing Ruger Mini-14 or Mini Thirty Rifle components."
The stock fit my Mini-30 just fine.  I was going to try my 181 and 185 series Mini-14 in it as well to see if there are any issues.
View Quote
Thanks.  I deleted the  error in my previous comment.  Much obliged.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 2:37:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Well that's concerning. Samson emailed me for updated payment info and said mine should be shipping out within a couple of weeks...but I'm pretty sure my police trade-in Mini-14 is an older style gun. It would suck if it doesn't fit in the stock.
View Quote
I have one of the old Arkansas? DOC trade-ins off gunbroker some months back, fits just fine in the folder, shouldn't be a problem.
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 6:56:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Still wondering if there is any way to attach sling for the b-tm stock? Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 7:21:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes

Use the sling loop at the gas block and install a sling swivel, like an Uncle Mikes, at the left side of the folder mechanism

Link Posted: 9/8/2020 8:54:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
A wood-screw type sling stud mounted to a suitable point on the rear of the stock, as mentioned above, is easier than mounting a stud to the metal stock arm/butt plate, but there are some important points involved with doing so.   Without going into the matter exhaustively, if the A-TM or B-TM stocks are to be slung in a conventional manner, certain sling attachment locations, front and rear, are optimal.  If slinging either stock for "chest carry", different front and rear sling points will be optimal for that style of carry.  Being a folder, an additional sling attachment point is desirable for use when the stock is folded.  The points chosen for "chest-carry" use must be carefully selected so as to prevent the rifle from rotating; IOW the rifle will "want" to stay in the correct position, and not "want" to rotate as it will if the wrong sling attachment points are used.

Most  modern Mini-14 Ruger stocks, have a horizontally-mounted forward sling swivel mounted at the bottom of the stock fore-end, this being attached to the gas block.  Some original Ruger side-folder (and other) stocks had a vertically-mounted sling swivel attached to the left side of the gas block.    

Probably a few places on the butt plate of the stock could be drilled and might accept a machine-screw threaded sling stud, which, given the relative thinness of the material, would probably require a nut in lieu of tapping, not sure.  The material will require a special drill capable of drilling through the material.  Also necessary to determine prior to drilling that such a stud/not combo would not interfere with the folding/securing of arm/butt plate

The sling swivel used for any type of rear sling stud needs to be a quick-release type, because one would want to relocate the swivel to a place, depending on the style of sling use, on the rear of the stock, once the stock arm/butt plate was folded.

I would not suggest permanently altering an OEM Ruger folder.
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 10:33:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Just for clarification he's asking about the B-TM stock for the Ruger 10/22, not the A-TM stock for the Mini-14.

Assuming the same swivel mounting location is there on the stock folding metal, I would use that for the rear and the front you can use something similar what Wilderness products offers.  Simply insert a piece of nylon strap under the barrel band similar to what the Wilderness does with theirs or buy one of their slings.
https://www.thewilderness.com/10/22-accessories/giles-sling-for-ruger-10/22-w.-factory-stock/

There are several swivel adapters for use with the front barrel band that would attach a bottom mounted swivel.

Here's an how to article on a side sling swivel...
http://www.alpharubicon.com/leo/rugersidesling.htm

And lastly you can drill and install a swivel stud into the wood.  Probably you last choice with your new stock.
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 7:59:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Just for clarification he's asking about the B-TM stock for the Ruger 10/22, not the A-TM stock for the Mini-14.

Assuming the same swivel mounting location is there on the stock folding metal, I would use that for the rear and the front you can use something similar what Wilderness products offers.  Simply insert a piece of nylon strap under the barrel band similar to what the Wilderness does with theirs or buy one of their slings.
https://www.thewilderness.com/10/22-accessories/giles-sling-for-ruger-10/22-w.-factory-stock/

There are several swivel adapters for use with the front barrel band that would attach a bottom mounted swivel.
http://www.hoosiergunworks.com/images/swivel_ruger_1022_swivel.jpg

Here's an how to article on a side sling swivel...
http://www.alpharubicon.com/leo/rugersidesling.htm

And lastly you can drill and install a swivel stud into the wood.  Probably you last choice with your new stock.
View Quote
Those are good suggestions for a 10-22.  There are 10-22 front bands which have both side - and bottom-mounted sling loops, available in stainless and blued.

The rear attachment point(s) on both the A-TM and B-TM stocks are a little more problematic.
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 10:26:44 AM EDT
[#15]

Some pictures to liven up the thread a bit.  I'll need to figure out a sling before too long, as everyone else is also trying to do.  I don't care about it being "period correct" or anything, but am toying with a nickeled rear loop to go at the folding mechanism, and may wind up going for a green GI web sling, or maybe a quick adjusting leather sling.

It'll eventually get a reflex sight on that Ultimak, but it shoots real well as is, and fits in a pseudo-tennis racket case.
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 2:02:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/129976/5A61B5C9-1EB4-4A73-A56F-B937E12AC8C9-1585744.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/129976/F58D4AEF-C27B-4CFD-9E23-729036265609-1585745.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/129976/342E3FF0-7CC8-4945-B007-903A5C6F4AFC-1585746.jpg

Some pictures to liven up the thread a bit.  I'll need to figure out a sling before too long, as everyone else is also trying to do.  I don't care about it being "period correct" or anything, but am toying with a nickeled rear loop to go at the folding mechanism, and may wind up going for a green GI web sling, or maybe a quick adjusting leather sling.

It'll eventually get a reflex sight on that Ultimak, but it shoots real well as is, and fits in a pseudo-tennis racket case.
View Quote

Looking good.  Did you notice any accuracy improvement with the Ultimak and Accu-Strut?
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 2:49:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Looking good.  Did you notice any accuracy improvement with the Ultimak and Accu-Strut?
View Quote
Admittedly, no, because I have not shot my Minis without the accu strut, and the Ultimak was part of the plan for this folding one all along.

I haven't even shot this one yet, but the 'Smith who cobbled it together for me said it was surprisingly accurate, and that the sights seemed almost zeroed at 25 out of the gate. (They're GI Tech Sights).

Supposedly the stiffer barrel, and <18" barrels aid accuracy, as does the accu strut (though less with modern taper barrels than the old models) and Ultimak, as does evenly tightening and torquing gas block screws (as occurred during the Ultimak installation process).
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 2:28:30 PM EDT
[#18]
I ordered a B-TM 10/22 stock this morning.  Out of stock, but Ruger says enough are expected on the 18th to fill all existing back orders.
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 5:35:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
The Accu-Strut, or the similar Mo-Rod have both demonstrated accuracy improvements, very much so on earlier "pencil-barrel" rifles.   Later, "thick-barreled" Minis apparently show an accuracy increase, but to a lesser degree compared to the "Pencil-barreled" early models.

Properly installed, the Ultimak scout rail mount might add some slight, additional, accuracy.  Common sense says so, but not documented.  I don't suggest the Amegaranges scout mount because it forces the user to mount their optic significantly higher than the Ultimak, and small fractions of an inch are vital in this situation.  

By "properly installed" that means taking care to properly situate the gas block assy (easily done), and to properly torque the fastening screws.  Suggest using new ones, as this is a torqued fastener, and that is "best practice" with such small fasteners.

Many users of the Ultimak scout mount use the necessity of dismantling the gas block to install a reduced Inner Diameter gas system orifice, which is contained within the gas block assy.  Available here: https://www.ruger-mini-14-firearms.com/Gas-Reduction-Bushing-Kit.php.  Benefits are less violence/pounding of the action and attached optics, and reduced tendency to "launch" brass into next county.  Some increased muzzle velocity has been noted with some reduced gas orifices, so rifle might have a slightly increased effective range, and will require fine-tuning of desired zero.

If asked, I will be ready to help.

Link Posted: 9/19/2020 8:39:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/129976/5A61B5C9-1EB4-4A73-A56F-B937E12AC8C9-1585744.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/129976/F58D4AEF-C27B-4CFD-9E23-729036265609-1585745.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/129976/342E3FF0-7CC8-4945-B007-903A5C6F4AFC-1585746.jpg

View Quote
I got my sling installed, but it was a bit of a doozy.  I don't recommend a leather sling, mine will definitely wear in a bit of a channel from the nub of the gas block.

And the rear sling loop has some slight imperfections within the channel in which the rear sling mount resides; I had to smooth it out a little bit to allow the sling stud to pass through.

Its enough to make me consider putting on a little GI tech sights web-style sling, and moving this leather sling over to something else; we'll see.  Didn't get any pictures yet.
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 2:25:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have a Mini 14 Tactical in black.

This post makes me want a SS Tactical with the new folder.
Link Posted: 9/22/2020 12:49:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Saw Ruger store had these in stock on Friday. Ordered and got it today. Very, very cool. Mine is light but looks really good.
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 6:40:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Now, I’m a little perturbed. I can’t find a sling swivel that fits the stock. I used a micro file to open the hole up a little bit to get swivel to drop in. But non of the swivels I have will close. Samson had something of their FB that GrovTec 1” Swivels fit. But how different can they be vs. Uncle Mikes? It’s like they tried to make the sling attachment difficult.
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 8:15:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Now, I'm a little perturbed. I can't find a sling swivel that fits the stock. I used a micro file to open the hole up a little bit to get swivel to drop in. But non of the swivels I have will close. Samson had something of their FB that GrovTec 1" Swivels fit. But how different can they be vs. Uncle Mikes? It's like they tried to make the sling attachment difficult.
View Quote
As it so happens, grovetec is the company whose products I purchased, and I still had to wallow out the hole ever so slightly to allow the stud to pass through.

They were the only place I found that was in stock that was actually made in the USA.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 1:46:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Saw Ruger store had these in stock on Friday. Ordered and got it today. Very, very cool. Mine is light but looks really good.
View Quote

Thanks for the heads up ordered one yesterday from Ruger. Now they are out of stock. Cancelled my Samson order.
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 4:53:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Now, I'm a little perturbed. I can't find a sling swivel that fits the stock. I used a micro file to open the hole up a little bit to get swivel to drop in. But non of the swivels I have will close. Samson had something of their FB that GrovTec 1" Swivels fit. But how different can they be vs. Uncle Mikes? It's like they tried to make the sling attachment difficult.
View Quote
Not certain about your problem.  Uncle Mike's stuff is OK civvy stuff.  Grovtec items are built to a higher standard, as the price shows.

I generally replace any Uncle Mike's stuff with Grovtech items, entirely.  Sling studs/sling swivels, whatever; match them all up with mating items from same mfr.  The Grovtech stuff rattles a lot less than the UM items, is stronger, and has a more durable finish than the UM items.

Link Posted: 10/3/2020 12:55:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Now, I’m a little perturbed. I can’t find a sling swivel that fits the stock. I used a micro file to open the hole up a little bit to get swivel to drop in. But non of the swivels I have will close. Samson had something of their FB that GrovTec 1” Swivels fit. But how different can they be vs. Uncle Mikes? It’s like they tried to make the sling attachment difficult.
View Quote

@brewtuna

why buy aftermarket when the original is out there.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/878501883
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 9:33:28 PM EDT
[#28]
My stock finally shipped last Friday, shows Wednesday delivery.  Ordered back in March sometime.
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 4:16:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I got my sling installed, but it was a bit of a doozy.  I don't recommend a leather sling, mine will definitely wear in a bit of a channel from the nub of the gas block.

And the rear sling loop has some slight imperfections within the channel in which the rear sling mount resides; I had to smooth it out a little bit to allow the sling stud to pass through.

Its enough to make me consider putting on a little GI tech sights web-style sling, and moving this leather sling over to something else; we'll see.  Didn't get any pictures yet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fired this one today.  Performed well, no hiccups.  That Ultimak gets toasty.  

The buttpad did hinge in on me once, but I might not have latched it well to begin with, so I'll chalk that up to user error.

I definitely enjoyed it.  It seemed to group a bit tighter than my 18", or about as well as one of my irons-only ARs.  

I'm happy
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 3:40:10 AM EDT
[#30]
Has anyone weighed their mini14 in the new stock?
Link Posted: 10/11/2020 4:03:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

@brewtuna

why buy aftermarket when the original is out there.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/878501883
View Quote

I have the Ruger original and bought another from the seller on gunbroker: neither fit the new Samson stock without doctoring by filing.
Link Posted: 10/15/2020 12:54:14 AM EDT
[#32]

After I received my first Samson stock; I realized I was not going to be happy with the color but the quality was good. This one took about 5 weeks to receive from Ruger but I decided to order a second which took a week to receive. It was really no different than the first but had a few dark streaks in the grain. So on to refinishing. I am pleased with the way they turned out and I am still trying to decide which one to keep for my original GB folder that was placed in a Choate folder before I got it. I will be selling the Choate stainless folder and possibly one of the other Samsons. Anyway I have pictured one of the folders as received and then another picture of one in early stages next to the other as received. The other pictures are of the refinished ones with new close to original replacement stainless screws and the one on the GB has an original sling and bakelite grip.
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 11:22:54 AM EDT
[#33]
I put one on backorder from the Ruger online store on 10/10.  Got a UPS notification today that it will be delivered tomorrow 10/27.  I was expecting a much longer wait.
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 6:10:43 PM EDT
[#34]
The Uncle Mikes that are current manufacture are, unfortunately, made in China.
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 7:12:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your older style receiver is slightly smaller than the new 580 series.  It will fit but it will fit slightly loose.  It will take some bedding to get it to fit tight but that is easily doable.  You might even be able to shim the receiver with some old credit cards and make it a nicely tight fit.  There isn't any reason to bend anything.

kwg
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 10:28:15 AM EDT
[#36]
My LGS shop guy has the new, Sampson repo, and we compared in next to an original.  The repo is EXACT in every regard but few; the screws and stud on the right that the buttstock locks into when folded uses Allen bolts in stead of the original's flathead screws. Additionally, the new one had an original style pistol grip.  The casting marks on both new and old were evidence that both came from the same mold/die.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 7:12:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
My LGS shop guy has the new, Sampson repo, and we compared in next to an original.  The repo is EXACT in every regard but few; the screws and stud on the right that the buttstock locks into when folded uses Allen bolts in stead of the original's flathead screws. Additionally, the new one had an original style pistol grip.  The casting marks on both new and old were evidence that both came from the same mold/die.
View Quote

Not exactly following what you are referencing here. The screw and stud on the right that the buttstock locks into when folded are the same as the original and do not use an Allen.

The 2 screws that are different are the ones that secure the hinge assembly for the folder to the wood stock and the one that secures the pistol grip to the stock. These can be easily replaced to match closer to the original.

The pistol grip differs in material used and does not have as glossy of a finish. As has been previously noted the original was Bakelite but the new one is polymer. This might be considered an improvement as the originals could be brittle and easily damaged if treated as a service arm. I never had any issues with mine but also had a spare just in case.

The biggest issue that I have besides the wood coloration is the sling swivel socket. I have tried various swivels including 20+ YO Uncle Mikes, original ones from Ruger both new and old, and current recommended ones without luck. I have had to file the holes to clean up burrs but even after that the swivels will not swivel without modifications. One stock was not as bad as the other and only required cleaning the holes but the other required work with a Dremel to remove material from the throat of the slot to allow swivel action. I started by filing the corners of the swivel attachment which helped but resorted to modifying the cast part on the stock.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 11:19:29 PM EDT
[#38]
Order from Ruger or direct from Samson? Wondering which place ships it faster.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 12:37:21 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ordered from Shopruger Oct 4th. Picked it up from UPS Oct 30th. It was not in stock when I ordered.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 11:47:23 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
Ruger.

I had an order in with Samson for months when I saw that Ruger randomly had some.  Ordered and received the Ruger within a week, and cancelled my Samson months before anyone with an order number anywhere close to mine had received their stock.
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 5:58:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 6:14:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 9:12:00 PM EDT
[#43]
I ordered it from Ruger this Monday after asking this thread. Arrived today.
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 10:09:04 PM EDT
[#44]
I doubt the likely Biden Administration will be friendly towards any sort of folding stock.

Link Posted: 11/7/2020 10:07:17 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 10:17:14 PM EDT
[#46]
Ordered my stock in March, got it Monday.

The color matches the original stock.

Now to replace the folding rear sight. Who makes a sight that will work?

Gary
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 12:01:26 AM EDT
[#47]
I have an SBR 10/22. I wonder how I could make it work in the b-tm stock.
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 12:59:51 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I have an SBR 10/22. I wonder how I could make it work in the b-tm stock.
View Quote

I think you’d want about a 12.5” barrel.

I just swapped a 16” barrel into mine and the plan is to go down to 12.5, maybe a little less
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 10:56:47 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Ordered my stock in March, got it Monday.

https://i.imgur.com/WWfzAvv.jpg

The color matches the original stock.

Now to replace the folding rear sight. Who makes a sight that will work?

Gary
View Quote
@redrum

GI Tech Sights are what you seek.  I have their irons on both my minis, and they work well.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 7:39:03 PM EDT
[#50]
The unit fits in a 4" piece of PVC pipe folded minus grip and trigger group perfectly.  For long term storage of course.
Page / 20
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top