Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/10/2002 5:54:21 AM EDT
Just picked up my new Bullpup.  Sat in the gunshop and read the manual.  With the manual right in front of us, neither myself nor the shop owner could field strip the weapon.

Will an experienced owner please help.

We made sure weapon was empty, safety on.
Cocked it, as instructed.
Removed two breakdown pins.
Could not rotate upper from lower.
Tried robustly.
Rubbed back of neck (lots).
Repeated above with weapon uncocked.
Later this week I will run 200 rnds thru it and try again.

Any EXPERIENCED advice would help.  Please resist the urge to guess.

Thx,
Byron

ps, how do you add a graphic to your profile?
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 6:02:57 AM EDT
[#1]
If I remember correctly there are 3 takedown pins.  1 in front of the trigger and 2 behind.  Be sure to cock the hammer and put the safety on. Also make sure the bolt it forward.  You may need to hit the back end with the heel of your hand to break it loose.  Joe
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 6:27:46 AM EDT
[#2]
That's weird.  The manual is not real specific, but what you're describing should have worked.

Okay - I've got my M17S in front of me now...

I did exactly as described - cock the weapon, release the bolt forward, punch out the two rear pins - and the lower should swing down.

Perhaps you're not punching the two pins all the way out - mine are a little tight.

Other than that, I am stumped.

Perhaps you could email Kurt Wala (or post over in his Forum) and ask him.  he does a lot of M17S work.  You could also call Bushmaster if you continue to have the problem.  Some of the prebans had a variety of problems with the lowers - BM would know about that.
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 3:37:52 PM EDT
[#3]
DK,

The 2 pins did not hit the deck.  They were retained at the second stop or detent (exposed about 1" on the rivet head side).  Should they come ALL THE WAY OUT?

We hit the top rear butt stock harder than you want to without someone standing there saying "Hit it harder".

Since I can't see your response while I'm typing this one, what is his? web site address.

Yeah, I can call Bushmaster (and will after firing and ready to field strip) but I can also pull over and read the map when my wife wants me to (But what fun would that be).

Thanks and stay in touch til I solve this...

Byron

Link Posted: 11/10/2002 3:46:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Tubs,

I did remove the 2 rear pins, the one forward of the trigger is a hinge point..or so I'm told (by the Manual).

Also note worthy.  The gunshop owner (steve) said I was the first person in 20 years to sit in his gunshop and read the manual (its an Engineer thing).

Byron

Link Posted: 11/10/2002 8:21:53 PM EDT
[#5]
The two rear pins should not fall out - they are retained in mine as well.  I just mentioned it to make sure they are as far as they can go, because I didn't push mine as far as they could go at first - and so the lower was stuck for a moment until I pushed them as far as they would go.

Your problem sounds like a mystery to me since it seems like you're doing everything right.

Kurt Wala's email is: [email protected]  He does a lot of custom work on M17Ss and so he might know what is going on.

Link Posted: 11/12/2002 4:48:45 PM EDT
[#6]
I ran a few dozen rnds thru it (before the rians came) took it home and it opened up.  Maybe the gunsmith didn't completely clear a pin????

Mystery solved.

Thanks
Byron
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top