Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/1/2002 1:22:01 PM EDT
Took my seven year old shooting last weekend.  We were shooting my Feather .22.  We had a great time.  Since he is only seven, all of the handguns and rifles I have are a little large for him.  I also have a 10/22 and a Marlin 22 auto.  In handguns I have a Ruger semi auto in .22, TP 22 and Sportsman 999.  Only the TP fits him, but it is a semi.  Can anyone recommend a small bolt action rifle and revolver for my little guy.  I need it very light and with a short pull.  bybon
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 1:53:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Bybon, There are three mini- .22 bolt action rifles made for children. 1.) Chipmunk from Rogue River Arms 2.) Davey Cricket 3.) Henry Repeating Arms. The Henry is in this months issue of G&A. Stainless with a black synthetic stock. My kids have the Davey Cricket. All three will do the job. I started my kids at 7 with the .22 and a BB gun. By the time they were 10 they went to a .410 and by 12 they were shooting skeet with a 20 gauge. They have a .410 and two 20 gauge youth pumps from Mossberg and a 20 gauge youth auto from Remington. They are now 12 and 14 and shoot my AR, MINI-14, .357 lever, 30-30 lever, .44 Ruger auto ect. Teaching my children to shoot has been a alot of fun for me. Enjoy, MIKE.
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 1:55:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 2:20:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Any of the three bolt rifles are good. Rossi also makes a single shot break over gun that comes with a 22 and a .410 barrel. I have two friends that have these for their kids and they are great. It also has the added advantage of being able to see if the hammer is cocked at a glance. It is also very small.
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 2:44:57 PM EDT
[#4]
My son has been shooting with me since he was seven years old,he's nine now. started him out with an old single shot springfield .22 that I cut the stock down on. Last year bought him a Rossi matched pair with the interchangable .22\.410 barrels. The stainless model hasn a hammer block safty where th blue model doesnt. cost about 120.00.
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 2:58:42 PM EDT
[#5]
I bought my son a Crickett www.crickett.com It's the right size rifle for him. For a handgun, I've let him shoot my K-22.

Link Posted: 1/1/2002 3:59:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Chipmunk.  I still like shooting it, even though I am way too big for it.
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 4:06:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 5:41:15 PM EDT
[#8]
An other thought would be to seek out a modified rifle at your local mom & pop gun shop.  I see these rifles with modified (cut down) stocks.  These are usually low cost (price taged $25-50) brand name models that were made in years gone by.  I picked up a nice Stevens .22LR bolt action.  The stock was already shortened.  When the young shooter grew out of it, we added a recoil pad to add length to the butt, and he used it another couple years.  The only draw-back to these early rifles, is that there is no scope mount.  I feel beginning shooters should learn with open sights anyway.

I would suggest a Ruger Single-Six for a revoler.  The grips fit a smaller hands nicely.  

OSA
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 6:41:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Got to handle one of these sweet little Henry's just before Christmas... Haven't got any kids but I may just have to have one for myself...

www.henryrepeating.com/minibolt22.html
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 8:04:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Why mess with a youth bolt action? Bolts aren't as fun as semis. Get him a 10/22 like dad's and cut down the stock to fit him. When he gets older, get him another full size stock. 10/22 birch stocks can be had for $25 at gunshows.

If you think he can't handle more than one round in the magazine, then only load one round at a time.
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 8:11:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Crickett's are great youth rifles even though the lot ive seen are a bit less than pretty (they were pink).
My nephew is seven and i had to fight his mother to get him a B-B gun. She wouldnt buy hima  BB gun but for christmas she buys him a "sruvival knife" or something that he has an inane fancy to run with.
And Dark Star, that is one portly young child in that advertisement.
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 8:11:21 PM EDT
[#12]
I would get the Chipmunk 22.  My dad taught me how to shoot using one of these.  Its a great little rifle.  Started shooting at age 5.
Bill3508
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 8:30:49 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Why mess with a youth bolt action? Bolts aren't as fun as semis.

Asked myself the same question prior to buying a Crickett rifle for my kids.  Decided it was easier teaching the fundamental mechanics of shooting with a more basic tool.  Open the bolt, clear, load, close bolt, cock, aim and fire.  I wanted all those steps to ingrain the shooting process to a young shooter.  Still drawn to a 10/22 and took my shooters to see one at a recent show.  We'll get one to hot-rod when they're a little older.  In the meantime I've kept them in bolt-action for hunting with a Remington Model 7 in .260 Rem.
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 8:33:49 PM EDT
[#14]
me just becoming a father.So when it comes time to teach my son to shoot im going to start him off eith a bolt action 22lr til he gets the feel for loading every round safely then move him to a 10/22 that i alreay own that will be his someday.
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 8:39:07 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Me just becoming a father. So when it comes time to teach my son to shoot I'm going to start him off either a bolt action 22lr til he gets the feel for loading every round safely then move him to a 10/22 that I already own that will be his someday.

That's the plan.  Ain't it great?  Hope you're having as much fun as we are.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 4:42:38 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I bought my son a Crickett www.crickett.com It's the right size rifle for him. For a handgun, I've let him shoot my K-22.

The black/grey laminated one is pretty nice... I am getting one for my son...
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 1:42:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Let my boy shoot the 10\22, now I can't get it away from him.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 1:43:46 PM EDT
[#18]
 My local Waley world has the Circkett .22 rifles for $99 . I think it is a hell of a deal . I Will be getting one for my son this April , He will be 7 .    It has a  built in lock which keeps the action from being operated . Nice feature to keep help keep things safe .     Black  synthetic stock .
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 2:24:19 PM EDT
[#19]
My sons are now grown men, but when they were small I bought a Marlin 15Y to train them with.  It shot great.  In fact it outshot any .22 I have ever owned accuracy wise!  The 15Y probably weighs more than a Chipmunk or something, but they are worth consideration.  Watch-Six  
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 8:20:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Take a look at the CZ Scout.  It is a clip fed bolt action rifle with a single shot adapter.  Great youth sized .22 rifle.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 6:30:55 AM EDT
[#21]
I have an old stevens that has been in our family for many years and it is the same size as the Chipmunk described below.  My kids are still too young 1.5 and 4.5 but these very small rifles really are a great step up from an air rifle.

I assume you already have you kids shooting air rifles and this is a step-up for them... right?  I firmly beleave that it would be best to start with an air rifle regardless of the style before moving upto a 22 rimfire to learn the basics of SAFETY and shooting.  Once respect for the gun and SAFETY is shown the reward would be permission to use a bigger (22 Rimfire) gun.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top