Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/10/2016 6:27:00 PM EDT
if so how do you do it? what to use?
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 6:42:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I dry tumble to get the crap off, resize/deprime and then wet tumble.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 7:23:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, I just dump the resized brass into the vibratory cleaner and let the walnut shell media clean the lube off.  Takes about 30 minutes or so.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 8:27:46 PM EDT
[#3]
I deprime all my brass in 500-case batches, then throw them in a bucket with a dab of laundry detergent.  (Don't use dishwashing liquid, it's got phosphates that'll turn the brass green).  Lots of hot water, stir like crazy with a big-assed screwdriver, rinse twice, then in the oven on a cookie sheet at 250 degrees for 30 minutes to bake all the water out of flash holes.

DO NOT use your wife's Pampered Chef cookie sheets for this step.  
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 9:45:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Dawn dish soap, hot water, slosh, rinse, slosh, rinse, dry.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 10:09:54 PM EDT
[#5]
I just dry tumble again for 20-30 min.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 10:11:17 PM EDT
[#6]
After sizing and trimming brass, I wet tumble. It softens the edges of mouth up enough that in general (for bulk loads), I don't need to chamfer/debur.

For long range pampered brass, I handle with more care but still wet tumble.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 10:13:53 PM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I just dry tumble again for 20-30 min.
View Quote
+1 I use a fine non- treated media the second time that flows through the primer pockets.

Link Posted: 6/10/2016 11:10:21 PM EDT
[#8]
My brass prep routine starts with decapping the brass and then putting it into an ultrasonic cleaner. I then resize the brass and dry tumble in treated crushed walnut to remove the lube and further clean the brass.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 11:12:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 11:17:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Dawn dish soap, hot water, slosh, rinse, slosh, rinse, dry.
View Quote

I do this, except wash immediately after resizing. Waiting longer dried the lube out and I had to tumble the cases.

I don't care about dry times since I come back to the cases later to do the next step.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 11:51:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

This. Have had my ass chew off for this.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 10:58:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then don't try using her cookie sheets for spraying lanolin sizing lube on your rifle brass either.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 12:41:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 2:58:10 PM EDT
[#14]
I wash my dirty brass first in a bucket of hot water and Simple Green Pro HD (it's purple).  It's safe for metals, unlike the original green stuff.  Rinse and dry.
I dry tumble for removal of lube and to polish.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 5:18:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 11:27:41 AM EDT
[#16]
If I don't have time to tumble the lube off, I will put all the brass into a 2 gallon bucket and fill it with denatured alcohol.
Work the brass around with a nitrile glove on. Drain the alcohol by grabbing 1 handful at a time and let it drain from the brass.
Lay brass on old towel and pat dry. Brass goes into foil turkey pan and into oven @ lowest setting, in my case 140* for about 15 minutes.
I usually do this when processing large batches. If I had to tumble over 1k pieces, it would take too long as my tumbler doesn't hold very much.
If I were doing smaller amounts, I would dry tumble.
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 12:26:59 PM EDT
[#17]
I've been using some Napthalene in walnut in a vibratory cleaner. Only thing I've found that dissolves Imperial sizing wax.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 4:01:16 PM EDT
[#18]
I use a garage towel and lay out about 100 cases.  I take a smaller towel and put some mineral spirits on it.  I then give the cases a five minute rub down.  

Sometimes I take a q-tip with isopropyl on it and hit every case neck as I put them in the case feeder.  I just recently stopped doing it and it seems it is unnecessary unless you are trying to get Varget into a smaller ID  case mouth.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 6:29:10 PM EDT
[#19]
I use Joy dishwashing liquid .  Rinse well . Then let dry in the Georgia sun in a large turkey pan. usually wait at least 24 hours before before loading .

gd
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 6:39:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Would boiling get it cleaner?

Who was that member who boiled his gun??? Remember this is a technical forum, lets GD out of this forum. Thanks dryflash3

Link Posted: 6/22/2016 7:38:19 AM EDT
[#21]
A single box of shells is easy enough just to take an old t shirt rag with some rubbing alcohol on it and wipe them clean.  

A whole lot of shells say a big production run on the Dillon progressive and I would do it a bit differently; run them through the sizing operation, trim, then wet tumble them sparkling clean.  Dry them thoroughly.  Then a second run on the press skipping the sizing operation that was already done.  This way your final product has no lube on the cases.

I avoid leaving lube on cases despite what a maker like Hornady one shot says.  The issue to me is excessive bolt thrust.  The chamber is supposed to grip the brass for a millisecond while at peak pressure and release just after.  Lubing likely defeats this and puts all the force onto the locking lugs.

another route I have taken is to dump about 50 or 100 loaded cartridges depending on size into my rcbs vibratory tumbler with walnut and pour a small amount of solvent in, usually alcohol or mineral spirits.  The downside to this is if you have dirty media and not enough solvent, you'll succeed in making a dirty grime at the junction of the shoulder and neck.  Don't even bother trying to do this in media without the solvent on lubed cases.  You will make that sticky dirt all over the case.  Moderate use of the solvent had not affected the RCBS unit in nearly 30 years of use.  I have not used MEK, Acetone or other super solvents figuring it would attack the plastic and foam rubber lining of the lid.   Well that and you don't want that stuff volatilizing in the house anyhow.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 7:57:30 AM EDT
[#22]
RCBS water-based lube gets washed off with hot water.

Brass is then dumped on an old towel to get a lot of the water off.

Brass is then allowed to air-dry for two days in air-conditioned home.

Ensures that little-to-none of the lube remains, and does not introduce dust or crud or polishing media to the brass.

The washing also cleans the primer pocket a little.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 11:08:41 AM EDT
[#23]
The lube I use says it won't contaminate powder and primers and in my experience it doesnt, after resizing I take the brass, wipe the exterior with a shop towel and put into either the trim pile or the under 1.760" pile. The non trim pile gets loaded right away with no ill effect.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top