Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2015 11:12:29 AM EDT
So I'm wanting to mount a long eye relief Leopold scout scope to a Henry Big Boy .44mag.  I spoke to my gun smith and he told me drilling and tapping the barrel would be no problem,  finding the correct rail on the other hand would be.  Anyone know where to find one? Henry model H006R.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 4:46:25 PM EDT
[#1]
If your having the barrel tapped then any flat piece of Picatinny rail that's long enough or far forward enough to mount the scope you want should do the trick.After that it's all about rings to fit your scope and the height that you prefer.

From looking around for a few minutes nobody make a scout rail for your rifle ,the only thing Henry makes is a cantilever mount that looks like ass if you ask me.

Just do a Google image search for Picatinny rail and you will see some flat pieces of rail for other rifles with different screw patterns ,just pic one out with spacing that would suit the Gunsmith working on your gun.

Someone here might have a better idea, but from looking I think it's your only option if you want a scout scope setup.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 6:03:49 PM EDT
[#2]
A flat piece of rail isn't going to work because the contour of the barrel changes, going from wider to narrower. The rail would not sit snug, nor would it be level.

I had the same problem with my Rossi 92. Rossi sells weaver scope mounts for their 92s but they have been out of stock for many months, with no information as to when they will be in stock. A lot of people are waiting around to put scopes on their rifles. A guy on the Rossi forums made one and sent it to me.

I don't know if you can see, but a scout scope is pretty far up front, the taper of the barrel makes mounting a scope anywhere but the receiver more complicated. OP you might check on the Henry forum to see if anyone has a solution for you. I too prefer scout scopes, they are so much faster to use.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top