Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2004 4:51:11 PM EDT
Is it normal to have to unscrew the cleaning rod for it to come out from the gun, and if so is it then normal for the rod to be shorter than the barrel?

and more importantly (since I'll just use the 3 piece rod from my hoppes kit that i use on all my guns) what are some good yet cheap brands of non corrosive ammo. I know I can get surplus corrosive for 10 cents a round but I don't mind paying a little more to not have to take a chance of having the barrel rust
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:03:48 PM EDT
[#1]
You need a real cleaning rod now.

If you use a water based cleaner like MPro7 there is no problem with corrosive ammo in bolt guns.  It's a pain in semi-autos though.

Just clean with water right away and there is no worry about rust.

Unless you reload there is NOT much surplus non-corrosive ammo available regardless of what some dealers say.

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:
Is it normal to have to unscrew the cleaning rod for it to come out from the gun, and if so is it then normal for the rod to be shorter than the barrel?

and more importantly (since I'll just use the 3 piece rod from my hoppes kit that i use on all my guns) what are some good yet cheap brands of non corrosive ammo. I know I can get surplus corrosive for 10 cents a round but I don't mind paying a little more to not have to take a chance of having the barrel rust

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:04:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 7:58:52 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
... is it then normal for the rod to be shorter than the barrel?...

Yes.

Note that both ends are threaded.  Two soldiers would combine their two sections to make one full-length cleaning rod.

Corrosive surplus is a lot cheaper than commercial ammo.

You won’t have a problem with corrosive ammo as long as you clean the rifle promptly with a suitable solvent.  I like to use Windex window cleaner with ammonia both in the bore and to wipe down the bolt face.  I’ve never seen a trace of rust after doing this.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 4:12:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Is the standard Hoppes cleaning solvent good enough for cleaning the corrosive ammo?
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 12:22:32 PM EDT
[#5]
NO

You need to start with a WATER based cleaner to flush out the corrosive salts.

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:
Is the standard Hoppes cleaning solvent good enough for cleaning the corrosive ammo?

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 1:02:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:16:49 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Take a bottle of window cleaner (windex) with amonia to the range. Pour some down the barrel when you are done shooting. I use the 99 cent store stuff.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 10:15:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Cleaning corrosive ammo in these guns is really easy. It's just another step, and nothing to be afraid of. If you're really worried, just check on the gun for the next few days after cleaning.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 3:12:02 PM EDT
[#9]
another question
the sling that came with it is kind of ratty, will this reproduction one for a german mauser fit the normal stock of a yugo m48?
sorry if it's a stupid question, but it's hard to see the ends of the sling in the pic
www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=148305

thanks
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 4:36:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 4:09:23 PM EDT
[#11]
thanks for the info. I'll avoid it if it's really stiff. I was jsut wanting something new and in good condition. mine looks like it might break if I use it for very long. kind of has that nasty "old surplus" smell too
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 1:43:02 AM EDT
[#12]
I have been firing Turk surplus ammo, its very cheap to buy and I havent ran into any issues so far.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top