Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/11/2005 8:47:39 AM EDT
hey all, new to shotguns, got a question:

recently new 870p, brought it home today, the barrel has been sent out for smithing. So i have everything put together on the shotgun, except the barrel.

I tried to cycle the action, pushed up on the action lock and it wont cycle. I didn't want to push to hard in fear of bending something, will it be locked until I put the barrel back on? I wanted to begin reassembly and cleaning but if I cannot put the action half way, Im stuck..

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 9:43:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:54:15 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Yes, it should work as normal and should NOT take a lot of force.

You did push the action bar release tab in and hold it there while you moved back on the fore arm, right?

Roger, starting to get worried then..the action bar release almost seems 'stuck' there is little to no movement in the action bar when I try to push it in..
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:33:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:43:12 PM EDT
[#4]
To which I'll add this.

If by some chance the trigger got pulled with the barrel off, the hammer will swing forward, and if it gets in the right (wrong) position, you CANNOT open the action until you push the hammer back to re-cock it.

To do this, you can either remove the bolt assembly as above, reach in the ejection port and push the hammer back until it cocks, OR
You can push out the two large pins in the sides of the receiver and remove the trigger group.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:51:49 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:OK...no big problem. I would take the bolt, slide and action bars, etc. out then reinsert it. You do this by...

a) with the bolt in its forward position, reach under and up inside the loading port and "pinch" the left (oriented as if you are shooting the gun) shell catch, while pulling forward on the fore end. The slide assembly will all come forward, out of the receiver together. To reinsert it, you must place the bolt and slide (the slide is the part underneath the bolt) on the slide arms and gently insert the whole contraption into the receiver (slide arms go in the slots cut for them). If you have never done this before it may take a few tries, buit it WILL work.

Once inserted, the assembly will go only a tiny distance before you will have to pinch first the right, then the left shell catch while gently pushing the fore end to the rear. This will get it reinserted, and then, if you push in on the action bar release, it should (hopefully) allow you to push the fore end all the way to the rear.

Quoted:To which I'll add this.

If by some chance the trigger got pulled with the barrel off, the hammer will swing forward, and if it gets in the right (wrong) position, you CANNOT open the action until you push the hammer back to re-cock it.

To do this, you can either remove the bolt assembly as above, reach in the ejection port and push the hammer back until it cocks, OR
You can push out the two large pins in the sides of the receiver and remove the trigger group.

Thanks guys, got it fixed. appreciate it
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top