Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Site Notices
Posted: 12/9/2006 5:20:36 PM EDT
I am in the market for a M16.  My question is which in your opinion is a better route to take... SP1 conversion or a OLY, Sendra, or other conversion.
It appears they are all about the same price, but I was wondering if one of the manufacturers is better/more desirable than the other.

I could probably swing up to $13,000, so do you think a m16A1 would be worth the extra in terms of reliability, resale ,etc?

I am looking for a shooter, but resale is always in the back of my mind.
Your input is greatly appreciated
Link Posted: 12/9/2006 5:56:58 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I am in the market for a M16.  My question is which in your opinion is a better route to take... SP1 conversion or a OLY, Sendra, or other conversion.
It appears they are all about the same price, but I was wondering if one of the manufacturers is better/more desirable than the other.

I could probably swing up to $13,000, so do you think a m16A1 would be worth the extra in terms of reliability, resale ,etc?

I am looking for a shooter, but resale is always in the back of my mind.
Your input is greatly appreciated

I would rather have an OLY, Sendra, or other conversion so long as it was done properly.  The SP1 large front pin is a detraction to me, and I wouldn't feel comfortable having someone weld it and redrill or pin in a bushing.

Whether a factory Colt is worth the extra coin, that is totally up to you.  I happen to like the added collectibility of the Colts.  But if you really only care about having a fullauto firearm that reliably goes bang many times with each squeeze of the trigger, then go with a quality conversion.  A Colt will definitely command higher resale value, but don't fool yourself into thinking you'll ever sell once it is in your safe

Better yet, you may want to consider a DIAS and MGI modular lower.
Link Posted: 12/9/2006 6:26:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Sendra/Bushmaster conversion would be my first choice

Colt RR second

Oly third.

Factory M16 last if I intend to shoot it.
Link Posted: 12/9/2006 8:21:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I thought about the DIAS, but I can't justify spending the $14,000 for a little piece of registered metal. I think a Colt M16 would be a better route for the same money.

As far as Colt guns, what do you need to look out for as far as rewelded recievers?
Were any of the m16a1's rewelds, or does that mostly apply to U.S property marked guns?
Link Posted: 12/9/2006 8:41:00 PM EDT
[#4]
What's your Colt M16 worth when it blows up and destroys or damages the receiver from the cheap ammo you decided to shoot through it.

Compared to reaching down and the ground and picking this up and putting it into a new $150 bushmaster receiver.

You have to accept you are buying a serial number not a piece of metal.
Link Posted: 12/9/2006 8:42:34 PM EDT
[#5]
As for the guns I would take a converted Sendra first, Colt SP1 with front pivot hole fixed next, Olys, converted Essential Arms last.

There are some great guns and some worse guns inbetween and above and below but these are the most common.
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top