Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2021 7:59:23 PM EDT
Right now I am using a couple of ammo cans to store bullets for reloading.
What is a better way to store bullets?
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 8:08:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I store jacketed bullets on a shelf in their original boxes. Same for ready made cast bullets. I put home cast bullets in zip lock bags of 100 & keep them in large 3 pound coffee cans.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 8:21:15 PM EDT
[#2]
loaded?

I use some ammo cans, and I also use the Walmart Sterilite latch box containers.  Not the super big ones, the smaller size so weight isn't an issue and they can also be stacked upon themselves.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 8:39:01 PM EDT
[#3]
I use mayonnaise jars for my bullets that I cast myself. The few jacketed ones I have I just keep in the container they came in.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 8:46:43 PM EDT
[#4]
They're bullets.  Lead, maybe some copper too.  Not really going to go bad.  I generally just keep them in the original boxes.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 8:50:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Store-bought bullets stay in their original boxes.  It makes it easier to manage - and FIND - them.  This goes for bullets boxed by the hundred and bulk bullets.  I have some “largish” boxes with bulk quantities of bullets, and I just labeled them so I can see what’s in them easily.

A while back, I bought a bulk order of several thousand pulled (demilled) bullets that arrived in a .30 Cal ammo can.  The can was really, really beaten up, and it was a pain to figure out where to put it.  The bullets were cruddy looking too, with tar sealant and particles of powder stuck to that.  I wet tumbled the bullets in reasonable batches - no pins, just Dawn and Lemishine - and that got them looking brand new.  I boxed them up in generic boxes with clear labels, and in quantities that were a LOT easier to manage.

That ammo can is basically OK, but I had to sand and primer it because of the rust, and there’s no way I’m going to in-dent that thing.   But that’s the event that sealed the deal on my bullet storage system.  Boxes I can manage moving (without getting a hernia), with easy to read labels.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 8:56:41 PM EDT
[#6]
I should have been a little clearer.   These are just bullets for relaoding.  Jacketed.  I keep them in the original boxes.   I am looking for a easier way to store the boxes besides just leaving them on the shelf.  I only cast .490 round ball or mini balls for my muzzleloader.  Those are kept in a coffee can.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 10:10:11 PM EDT
[#7]
I dunno.  I tried the ammo can route.  Holy cow they get heavy.  A .30 cal can full of 55 gr FMJ is enough for me.
Just got a bunch of 500 rd boxes of .45 bullets from Berrys.  500 is enough in one container for me, so they got stacked in their factory boxes.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 10:12:21 PM EDT
[#8]
I store bought bullets in original boxes

For cast bullets, cat litter containers like Tidy Cat buckets or Deli-licios jugs
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 9:24:19 AM EDT
[#9]
I put my bulk bought bullets in plastic ,mostly nut, containers.
Attachment Attached File

Same with my cast.
Attachment Attached File

Smaller quantities are just kept in the boxes they came in.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 10:45:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Way too many anal retentive new reloaders.

Keeping things stored in their factory packaging is best advice so many have already offered up.

Look at pictures of DryFlash's bench.  Neat and tidy but has style so to speak. It the way a bench of an
experienced reloader looks in most cases.  Of course there are benches that are engineering masterpieces.
Those with track systems. Or custom cabinetry.  OR look like the showroom of Dillon or Hornady or a hodgepodge of
top of the line equipment.

That those pictures did not happen over night. And, I think that intimidates people.  And, they should not feel shamed by it.  If you are reloading ammo on your kitchen table, you joined a

I used to know a guy that literally had a basement full of kewl stuff for the time period in the mid 80's.  One bench with MEC shotshell presses. A center island
work bench for cleaning guns and such. Another side with two side by side Star Reloaders that dropped loaded rounds into
pails under the bench. A wall full of dies, opened boxes of bullets, and a shelf full of dies. A bench with PW progressive press for center fire, various single stage presses. It was sort of like a painting.

That those pictures did not happen over night. And, I think that intimidates people.  And, they should not feel shamed by it.  If you are reloading ammo on your kitchen table, you joined a fraternity of sorts.
It you are turning out ammo that puts a smile on your face. ROCK ON MY FRIEND!
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 12:58:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top