Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2003 5:43:24 AM EDT
how di i go about removing bluing off of a new gun? i want to refinish it with gunkote.

anybody have any pics of gunkotes grey?  or pics of any other colors would be cool too.
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 6:00:13 AM EDT
[#1]
When I gunkoted a mossberg barrel, I used 20% (IIRC) muriatic acid to remove the bluing.  Muriatic acid is just hydrocholoric and is used in swimming pools.  It can be found at any decent hardware store.
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 6:02:51 AM EDT
[#2]
cool thanks.
did you just wipe it down with it? or soak it?

what color did you use?
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 11:17:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Go to wally world and see if they have birchwood casey's "blue & rust remover", my local one does. It's phosphoric acid, and it works well. It only costs like 5 bucks. It has directions on the bottle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top