Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 8/31/2004 5:32:58 PM EST
Anyone know where to get a birdcage flash hider for one?

I have an SW5 (yeah yeah yeah - it was a good deal and it works) and I have an approved Form 1 () and I'm looking for a birdcage flash hider that will fit on the barrel after I chop it.

Either permanently attached or threaded... depending on availability. I think that I'd rather have threaded but I think that could be a little too complicated. I figure if I go 3 lug I'll be replacing the whole barrel anyway.

If I'm totally screwed up, let me know a better way to go about this if you guys have better ideas.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 6:09:22 PM EST
If I was you.. I would have a 3 lug bbl, or at least adapter installed, and there are really sweet looking birdcage hiders avalible that lock onto the 3 lug bbl...

my $0.02
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 6:12:06 PM EST
Gemtech bi lock
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:42:20 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/31/2004 7:42:55 PM EST by GackMan]
I looked at gemtech and I shyed away from the cost. I figured I could do it cheap and easy by chopping it and putting on a birdcage.

Then later I could drop the whole barrel and replace it with a new 3-lug (maybe one of the POF ones) if I thought I wanted to put a can on it or something.

I have a guy local to do the chop.

I guess I'm looking for cheap and easy and I figured a birdcage would look better than a plain crowned barrel.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:17:58 AM EST
I would get the barrel cut down and threaded 1/2x28, purchase a 3-lug adapter from Mark McWillis (http://www.trosusa.com) for $60 and then get a factor flash hider for $60 from Long Mountain Outfitters (https://secure.longmountain.com/product_info.php?products_id=159&osCsid=bb9f25b7d7d805545d132aef2b0cb1af). You then have the best of all worlds with a threaded barrel and the 3-lug adapter.

On the issue of SW-5, don't feel bad.. I have two that are both SBRs and totally tricked out for the same price as a stripped HK94. One came from the factory and runs 99% (after replacing the extractor, extractor spring and recoil assembly with German parts) and the other was built by Mark Galla and runs 100%. I love having guns that I enjoy shooing the heck out of and do not have to worry about how they look. Just enjoy your SW5!
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 10:24:31 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/20/2004 4:27:07 AM EST by GackMan]
Thanks!

TrosUSA is just over the hill to the south of me.

that seems like the way to go.

$60.00 for the trost 3-lug adapter
$58.00 for the birdcage
$50-75 for labor to cut and thread the barrel.

and I'm still in a position to pull off the bird cage and go to a can on the 3-lug if I want to.

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 4:26:34 AM EST
finished product!!

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 9:03:15 AM EST
Where did you buy the UMP folder?
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 9:27:32 AM EST
that is a B&T stock. I think I got it from DSA www.dsarms.com/catalog-list.cfm?Category=26

I got that AFTER I bought an MP5 sotck and figured out that the SW5 receiver grooves are too narrow to put a regular MP-5 tele-stock on it.... so I have one of those for sale. bastards. I guess that was a thing they did to make it post-ban compliant? (any one know what the deal is with that?)

Top Top