Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2003 5:55:25 PM EDT
What bayo fits on a 16" carbine? I have what I believe is an M7 that fits fine on my SP1 but my Sendra carbine sight tower is too far from the flash hider for it to work right.
Yes, I have never owned a bayo before today.
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 7:54:36 PM EDT
[#1]
M7 and M9 bayonets are designed for the M16 series rifles. However, the 16 inch barrel has too much distance between the lug and flash suppressor to properly fit a bayonet. I think the only way to fit a bayonet on a 16 inch barrel is to get a pre ban configured upper with mid length hand guards.
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 9:50:50 PM EDT
[#2]
DPMS (IIRC) sells a bayonet adaptor that clamps onto a 16" barrel in the correct location to fix a bayonet.
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 6:29:52 AM EDT
[#3]
By the way, that bayo is a nice blade. It was almost new and I had to sharpen it but I think I like it better than a commercially made knife.
How tough are they? I imagine soldiers put the thru hell, how do they stand up to prying and chopping?
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 8:40:38 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
By the way, that bayo is a nice blade. It was almost new and I had to sharpen it but I think I like it better than a commercially made knife.
How tough are they? I imagine soldiers put the thru hell, how do they stand up to prying and chopping?

Actually, being double-edged at the tip (the M7 bayonet), they're really not all that great as a field knife. A good K-Bar or similar knife would serve much better for general use. Now the M9......no idea how it performs; I got out before we got issued those.
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 1:45:02 AM EDT
[#5]
The M9 is a great general purpose knife/bayonet.
Leans more towards survival/fighting knife than bayonet. I have one of the 1st run/ 1st generation Buck M9s. It's great.
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 2:03:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Someone also makes an M7 bayonet with an extra long handle so it fits properly on the 16" shorties.
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 8:14:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Never owned a bayonet before today.....Hmmmmmm.....

Just remember what Santa said in  "A Christmas Story":

"You'll stab your eye out!"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top