Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/5/2002 5:11:24 AM EDT
yesterday at the range i tried (and failed) to use up 6 boxes of wolf. on the second mag, i started to have failures to extract. and on the third mag, while slamming the bolt home, the extractor broke.
my ar is only marginally functional now, fortunately i have other rifles if things go really really bad. i'll replace the extractor next weekend at the hardware show. in fact, i'll buy 2. how should i dispose of the remaining wolf?
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 5:15:31 AM EDT
[#1]
What kind of rifle do you have?  I have used Wolf ammo with no problems thus far.
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 5:23:37 AM EDT
[#2]
if you only had 6 boxes, take the rest & throw it into a deep lake or slow moving river !!!!!!!

that junk ammo will never find a shelf in my gun room to lay on.., NEVER !!

i had 45 boxes i traded to a friend 2 for 1 for good Q3131A.., he was happy & i was even happier !!!!!!
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 5:29:54 AM EDT
[#3]
it's an M&A 16" parts set on a bushmaster lower. ive had it about 2 years, with very little trouble. i had stuck cases with pmp ammo, but it shoots q3131a, umc, pmc, guatemalan, etc all day with no problems.

i also had a problem with the used usgi mags, slap them in the rifle and the top round jumps out the ejection port onto the ground! i'd take them and the ammo back to the guy i bought them from, but he's an out-of-work friend and he cant afford to buy it back.
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 8:03:53 AM EDT
[#4]

I have a 20" HBAR that eats it just fine. I'm going to be abusing it some more at the range tomorrow.
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 8:06:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Having tried the wolf stuff, I'd say just avoid it.  SA battle packs are so cheap and work so well.  For AK's wolf works great.  My AK-74 clone loves wolf...
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 9:51:11 AM EDT
[#6]
I know that many of you have never had any problems with wolf. I also know that you can pick it up for $100 per thousand. But I have always figured you get what you pay for. If your using it and haven't had any problems go for it. But I will not be using wolf in my AR's.
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 10:20:38 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a Bushmaster shorty with the AK74 break, and have had zero failures with wolf ammo.
I do have a few friends that are not as picky about their cleaning habits as I am. Their problems with wolf ammo usually involve the extractor. The lacquer coating that covers the steel cases sometimes becomes a build-up in the groove of the extractor. I've fired thousands of rounds of the stuff and had no problems, but I clean my rifle after every time I go out. (that's every time, One round or 500 rounds).
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 10:28:38 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I've fired thousands of rounds of the stuff and had no problems, but I clean my rifle after every time I go out. (that's every time, One round or 500 rounds).

i, too, clean my rifle after every outing. that's part of the reason i was using this stuff, last time i shot 1 mag full with no problems. this time, 1st mag was fine. i never expected to have to clean between mags.

if you guys who like it are in north georgia, youre welcome to come and get what's left.
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 10:44:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Lurker,
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to insult your cleaning habits. What I meant to say was this small groove is an easy area to overlook that is extremely important when using cheap-lacquer cased ammo.
Again, I'm sorry. I just hear a lot of stories like this and a lot of the time it ends up being some guy that just bought his first semi-auto, and doesn't have what you and I would consider proper cleaning habits.
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 10:50:46 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Lurker,
I didn't mean to insult your cleaning habits.

not a problem. i usually answer these kind of posts by asking about cleaning habits too. "you do use a chamber brush, don't you?" sort of thing. you could say i'm compulsive about cleaning, maybe even (gasp) "AR"!

and you may be right, i didnt give the extractor any special attention, just a regular brushing with a hoppes-laden toothbrush. i should sue wolf, and require them to put a warning label on each box!
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 11:03:05 AM EDT
[#11]
First off - I am not flamming or bashing anyone - to each his own. But I won't shoot Wolf ammo through my guns. I buy into the old adage, "If you won't drink a country's water, don't shoot the ammo".

How much is your gun worth to you?
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 11:21:29 AM EDT
[#12]
It was a TOTAL waste of money to buy WOLF 45ACP!!5-10 percent BAD ammo. NEVER WOLF AGAIN!
Best I can tell the cases are out of spec esp. where the extractor is supposed to pick them up.
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 12:41:50 PM EDT
[#13]
I have used Wolf 223 in my Colt ARs without any problems.  I did get a case stuck in the chamber of a Carbon 15 that took a gun smith to get it out.  I bought 1000 rounds and have shot half of it.  I will not buy any more.  Watch-Six
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 12:58:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Based on what I've read here and from personal experience, Wolf seems to work just fine in Colt and Bushmaster rifles, but some of the other brands don't like it. This is most likely due to the 5.56 chrome lined chambers in these rifles, and due to their price, most owners keep them very clean.

This is not to flame other AR brands or those who don't clean every outing, but I've got almost 2000 rounds of Wolf through a Colt MT with zero problems of any kind.
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 1:07:38 PM EDT
[#15]
I have an OLY, I use Wolf ammo and I bump-fire.
Three for three.
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 3:20:52 PM EDT
[#16]
I have used wolf in my M4orgery that has a Model-1 upper with a non-chrome bore/barrel fired over 200rds of it in TX 90+ degree temps. no issues to report. My BM eats it and my Colt eats it. I do Chamber brush the chamber and I clean the bolt very well.

I was concerned about the Model-1 upper, being non chrome and all. but to my surprise it worked fine with wolf.

one man's meat is another man's poison.

Link Posted: 7/6/2002 6:01:48 PM EDT
[#17]
I don't see why people say Wolf is junk! I was reading a issue of SWAT and it talked about how the US Military and LE use Wolf ammo.  Its cheap(price) and if you clean your guns there is no problem.  I can't use it indoors, because of the steel core.  I use Wolf for practice and group shoot outs.  I used Wolf in my .308, 223, and 7.62x39 weapons.
Edited for indoor info:
I can't use any Wolf indoors because of steel in them.  The indoor ranges in my area banned Wolf for indoor use.  Use a magnet to check your ammo.  If it sticks NO GO and if it doesn't GO.  Thats the way they check ammo.
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 7:10:34 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
 I can't use it indoors, because of the steel core.

Just so you know, Wolf doesn't have a steel core. They make two kinds of rifle ammo, FMJ made of copper and a bi-metal jacket(this one only comes in 7.63x39 and 5.45x39). The Wolf in .223 has a lead core with a copper jacket on the outside. The only steel in those cartridges is the case itself, so if your indoor range lets you shoot other .223 then the Wolf would be OK as well.

I stand corrected they have increased the ammo that is bi-metal now. The .223 is still one with the all copper jacket but there are others now.
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 7:19:39 PM EDT
[#19]
I've run several thousands of rounds of Wolf steel cased ammo though my AR's with out issue.

Link Posted: 7/6/2002 8:36:28 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I have an OLY, I use Wolf ammo and I bump-fire.
Three for three.

Damn, Joe. You're bad to the bone!

coyote3
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 9:12:32 PM EDT
[#21]
So far I haven't had any problems with using Wolf in my Olympic Plinker (which sees the most use) no problems in my DPMS or Bushmasters either.
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 9:45:28 PM EDT
[#22]
I have been running Wolf through my Colt.  Only problem was at the BRC in quiet high temps, direct sunlight, about 500 rounds in, I started having cases stick.  Only happened after I let her rest for a few minutes.  First round would stick and then was fine.  I have decided that I wont use the .223 Wolf now, but will keep it for my AK.
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 6:49:07 AM EDT
[#23]
so it looks like it could be a matter of who makes your upper or cuts the chamber? colt, oly, model 1 apparently have no/few problems?

maybe we should build a list of manufacturers we have personally seen malf.
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 2:15:52 PM EDT
[#24]
If I recall, on one of the numerous posts about Wolf ammo, didnt somebody say that they were going to post pics of a jammed shell/nasty chamber/broken extractor?
who knows....so many complaints, so many non-complaints.... seems to run about 50-50
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 6:06:15 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
If I recall, on one of the numerous posts about Wolf ammo, didnt somebody say that they were going to post pics of a jammed shell/nasty chamber/broken extractor?
who knows....so many complaints, so many non-complaints.... seems to run about 50-50

I saved this quote just for times like this.

Quoted:
Statistics:
I sell 10 cases of Wolf to one case of everything else.
I get one case back out of 1000 cases shipped.It almost never comes back.
I guess you guys that badmouth Wolf are the vocal minority.I might also add, Wolf is the reason the other ammo stays cheap.
Badmouth it all you want, while most guys save money and Wolf gets rich.
GOD BLESS AMERICA.
Eric the ammoman

The Ammo Gods have spoken
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top