Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2003 10:53:00 AM EDT
or have a good way of attaching 550 cord without duct tape?
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 6:00:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Go with Magpuls. They work great.

I've never been a fan of paracord on mags.
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 6:07:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Actually, funny thing happened over Labor Day weekend.  I attended the FDCC 3 year anniversary shoot in Lake City Fl, and ran the courses with my DSA. Since I had no magpuls, I ran the paracord under the floorplates diagonally.  Worked great!  The magpul would have put the loop at 90 degrees to the mag body.  The pouch I was using holds the mags flat against you, and the magpul would have put the loop at the wrong angle. With the paracord diagonal like it is, I can grab the loop from ANY angle.  Worked awesome.
I got a couple of free magpuls for the AR mags, so I might try those out, but right now for the DSA it looks like a case of don't fix what ain't broke.
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 8:28:16 AM EDT
[#3]
I have heard of the posibility of ripping the floorplate off of other mags with paracord if one was in a hurry, don't know about FAL mags.

One good thing about magpulls is they act as a bumper for your mags if you drop them on a hard surface.
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 9:03:01 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I have heard of the posibility of ripping the floorplate off of other mags with paracord if one was in a hurry, don't know about FAL mags.

I too have HEARD this, but never seen it firsthand, and don't know anyone who has seen it firsthand or had it happen to them.  I worried about it until I got some surplus mags from a Force Recon friend of mine; they all had the paracord under the floorplate.  I figured if anyone knew what they were doing it was them.
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 8:29:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Hmm, interesting idea about running the cord diagonally.  When reloading, did you have any trouble finding the cord, by touch, without looking at the mag? If you had more than one mag in a pouch, did you ever come up with both mags at once?
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 8:39:12 AM EDT
[#6]
It worked great, pulling mags from a usgi m16 mag pouch (which holds two flat against you as opposed to 3 the other way for the m16 mags).  I never came up with both mags, and it cleared the flap very easily.
I didn't look at anything, I just dropped the mag in the gun on the ground, opened up the pouch by touch, and pulled out the fres mag to stick in the gun.
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 2:51:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Still irritated I didn't get to see your run with that rifle Norm! IMHO, I would stick with the don't fix what aint broke method.  That being said, if you happen to be picking some up for the AR and can get a good price, what can it hurt?
[grumble]stupid FDCC people giving me one free magpul...now I have to get more![/grumble]
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 5:38:46 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Still irritated I didn't get to see your run with that rifle Norm! IMHO, I would stick with the don't fix what aint broke method.  That being said, if you happen to be picking some up for the AR and can get a good price, what can it hurt?
[grumble]stupid FDCC people giving me one free magpul...now I have to get more![/grumble]

Well, as a consolation prize:

You can see the paracord hanging off the mag.

Jason, if you want the magpuls that Steve & I got, IM me or email me your mailing address and I'll send you ours.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top