Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/2/2005 8:02:23 AM EDT
I'm thinking of getting a target .22, I started with the obvious 10-22 idea but then ditched that. I've been thinking bolt action really. I found that Savage makes a model called the Mark II-BV, a five shot heavy barrel model. It looks pretty nice with it's laminated stock.

I'm thinking a 3-9x40 scope or maybe a fixed 10x for shooting at 50-100 yards.

Anyone have experience with this rifle? Given the reasonable cost I expect the trigger to be lacking a bit but have a good gunsmith that should be able to improve that. Any watchouts for me?

Link Posted: 8/2/2005 11:20:28 AM EDT
You going to be shooting matches with it, or just want a good plinker? When I think of a target rifle only one name comes to mind......Anschutz.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 12:10:44 PM EDT
No, I'm not talking competitive/benchrest stuff here. There is no way I'd ever consider spending that kind of cash on a rimfire anyhow! I briefly looked at the Remington series of rimfires but they cost as much as a nice centerfire.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:29:49 PM EDT
I've heard a lot of good things about the Savage and will probably buy one myself. I'm pretty sure they use metallic magazines as well. I used to have a Rem 541THB and hated the plastic magazines on an otherwise really nice rifle. You can also add the Rifle Basix trigger to the Savage. I understand it justs makes it a lot easier to shoot tight groups. The rifle is supposed to drill out of the box as it is. Check out rimfirecentral.com.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 12:56:44 AM EDT
I have a Mark II BV, excellent bolt 22. The Savage uses an Anschutz action. The only thing I dislike is the extra crappy trigger pull but there are some adjustable aftermarket triggers available for it.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 12:51:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/8/2005 12:53:01 PM EDT by zunrj5]
I have a Savage Mark II as well. The gun is a great shooter. The only thing lacking is the trigger like tangeant said. I installed the Rifle Basix replacement trigger and it shoots like a dream. I got mine here. Good luck

==>john

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:48:43 AM EDT
If you are not going to compete in matches and just want a really accurate gun that is not a 10/22 (though I don't know why that is a criterion), look into the T/C target auto. Not cheap, but extremely well made and balls on accurate.

I have some savages and though they are nice, they are not in the same league. Their manufacturing processes include lots of stamped metal, no fitting, etc. For instance I have a Savage .22 mag that shot about 1 1/2" groups at 50 yards. Not good at all in my opinion. After about 4 or 5 hours of trigger job and bedding it is not an MOA shooter and no better.

Remember though, no matter what you choose you won't get an MOA shooter out of a .22LR.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:01:04 AM EDT
Thanks for the input guys. Lots of stuff to check out, Savage, Thompson (never thought of that one), and I though about CZ too.

markbo- nothing against the 10-22, I've got one. Just want something different.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:37:41 AM EDT
I've got the Walmart special Mk II with the thinner barrel and cheap scope, it's a very nice plinker indeed for $99. Five and ten round mags are available.

In my travels I've found a few things out about these rifles. They're generally more than a little accurate. The triggers are rough out of the box. Shooting a few thousand cleans that up some, but there is a process for the WECSOG'er to shim the trigger at home which apparently does great things. There is one aftermarket trigger kit available, Rifle Basix at around $70-80 if memory serves.

Some of these rifles develop extraction issues. Mine did inside the first box of ammo. The problem is a malformed extractor and a weak spring. Savage will send you both for the asking, their customer service guys did real nice by me and had parts on my desk in 3 days.

It's my favorite rimfire for the moment actually. Loves Super Colibris.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 6:06:45 PM EDT
Will the shorter rounds feed out of the magazine (Colibris, .22 Long's, CB's, etc), or are you single-feeding them? It seems like the longs might work, but the really short ones would tumble when stacked.
-Hobbit
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:47:14 PM EDT
Colibris and super colibris are the same size, a little conical nose. They feed just fine from the magazine.
Top Top