Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/11/2016 3:31:34 PM EDT
i haven't seen a thread on these in a while and was wondering if there was anybody out there that had some time behind them and what they thought of the filters.
i had the brown truck drop off a package to me last week from nightlong industries and there was a set of the filters attached to my sentinel's
i've only had them out twice so far but the more time i get behind them the more i'm liking them , that first night was definitely a little weird though.  it's hard to describe the effect that they give , it has a 3d type of effect which seems to help with depth perception.  the darker filter gives you the brighter image and the redish tinted filter gives you the darker or "shadowed" image.  combined they give the 3d effect and a sense of added depth.  although the darker filter gives the "brighter" image it's also good at filtering brighter light sources and cutting down halo size , similar to running a uv filter.  the red tinted filter giving you the darker shadowed image does the opposite around bright light sources , flaring and increased halo size.  it also seems to filter out a good potion of uv light.  hopefully my next time out i'll get some shooting in to see how they work with aiming lasers.  
pic of the filters

Link Posted: 6/11/2016 3:41:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Very cool I've always wanted to try them... I've been debating about calling Chris and just buying a set of the red phosphor sentinels to get the full effect.

What kind of tubes do you have?
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 6:06:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like some sort of polarized filters.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 6:46:29 PM EDT
[#3]
No through tube pics????
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 9:10:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Would be next to impossible to get a feel for how they would really look as you need to have each tube in front of each eye for it to work. Like having someone post pics from a PVS-14 and a MOD-3 to show you what dual tubes look like as to a single tube. Still would be neat to see, I'm really thinking about getting a set of these myself.
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 12:16:21 AM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Very cool I've always wanted to try them... I've been debating about calling Chris and just buying a set of the red phosphor sentinels to get the full effect.

What kind of tubes do you have?
View Quote
yeah i've been bugging Ryan at nightlong for quite a while about them , the cnvg's would be awesome but are a bit out of my reach

the tubes are itt mx10160 omni vii's , they were in a mod 3 build that he swapped into the sentinel housing for me.  

Link Posted: 6/12/2016 12:32:47 AM EDT
[#6]
See if you can take two through tube pics and then we'll stack them into a gif so it toggles back and forth - that's normally a pretty good simulator of 3d/binocular photos. I saw Ryan was selling those, but had no idea what they actually did... would be very interested if you could take a couple shots for us :)
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 1:17:33 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

No through tube pics????
View Quote
i'll work on getting some but as hobbes221 said it will be hard to get the "effect" from them by looking at pics through each tub.  it really is hard to describe it but through one side your seeing a brighter image and the other side a darker image which adds contrast or a 3d type effect.  brighter and darker are prob not the best words to describe it.  the dark filter that you can't see thru , which i believe is one of their minus b filters , is what i describe as the bright image.  bright foreground darker background.  the red tinted filter that you can see thru is what i describe as the darker image.  darker or shadowed foreground and brighter background , this filter also seems to block out most of my supplemental uv light as well.  
i don't know if that makes much sense so let me try to describe it this way.  if i'm looking at something , say a tractor sitting in the middle of my yard.  if i close one eye and just look through the dark filter the tractor will be bright or lit up , if i close the other eye and look through the red filter at the tractor it will be dark or shadowed.  when looking at it through both filters simultaneously the images contrast with each other giving the tractor more depth in the image.
it really messed with my brain for those first 10 minutes or so , i thought it was my eyes playing tricks on me from being tired after working on a car all day.    the next night out was much better though.  i'll work on getting some pics through the filters and post them back here.

Link Posted: 6/12/2016 2:31:21 AM EDT
[#8]
I've been wanting to see more about these, can't wait for more info.

I spoke to Chris Adams about how these compare to the actual colored tubes.  The colored tubes being better (obviously) but I really want to see as much input from someone who is running just the filters.
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 8:34:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Ronin had a review of these with photos awhile back, perhaps not the same as the current product but if interested you can read about the 3d filter set he tried here:  http://ronintactical.blog.com/2015/08/21/adams-industries-3d-filter/

It didn't include the different color tubes or filters that changed the color of the green tube to red.

I actually purchased the Sentinel CNV version with the custom tubes, but there's a long lead time and I'm still waiting for mine.
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 4:44:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Ronin had a review of these with photos awhile back, perhaps not the same as the current product but if interested you can read about the 3d filter set he tried here:  http://ronintactical.blog.com/2015/08/21/adams-industries-3d-filter/

It didn't include the different color tubes or filters that changed the color of the green tube to red.

I actually purchased the Sentinel CNV version with the custom tubes, but there's a long lead time and I'm still waiting for mine.
View Quote

He did try it out with the other side covered with an Amber filter and the other as green, but said did not like it that way.
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 1:23:58 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
View Quote
his pictures are prob much better than mine.  i don't know why his see thru filter looks more clear , the one i have seems to have a distinct redish tint
very jelly of the cnvg's you have incoming
sorry for the late pics and quality , ipotato pics   i'll try to get some better quality pics thru the filters and post them back here.  the filters would prob work better on tubes with adjustable gain also as they do sap some of the light.  the following pics were taken without any supplemental ir light , which the filters seem to like , the last 2 pics might have had a light on close by as my dog took off after something in the woods and i was trying to see what she was after
first pic is through the dark filter

next is through the see thru filter

dark filter

see thru filter

dark filter

see thru filter

these last 2 may have had an ir light on
dark filter

see thru filter

Link Posted: 6/14/2016 4:52:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for these, helps to understand it a little.

A way that would probably reveal ITAR sensitive info (?) would be to test these with a prism to see which frequencies exactly they cut / pass.
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 6:01:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Here's few of the pairs edited like the sample pics we've seen before:

(not aligned 100%, tried to align a bit but the outcome is far from perfect)

Link Posted: 6/14/2016 11:25:47 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Here's few of the pairs edited like the sample pics we've seen before:
(not aligned 100%, tried to align a bit but the outcome is far from perfect)
http://i.imgur.com/buNRjSf.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/H44ZpA1.jpg
View Quote
wow i don't know how you did that but that's pretty wild , i'll try to get you some better pics to work with.
here's a few pics of the filters , now i know why ronin tactical called them red and clear.
the back side

the front side

a couple of shots through the clear filter

a couple through the red filter

into the sun

the clear filter

the red filter

my girl is always trying to get her pudum in my pics

through the clear fliter

and the red filter

Link Posted: 6/15/2016 6:24:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Interesting pics through the lenses!

Here's a gif transition from clear filter to red filter like you had a red phosphor tube:

Edit: I don't know which looks more like it should, the above or this one, but I guess we know that after someone gets the red phosphor version:
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 8:12:26 AM EDT
[#16]
So what's the theory behind these? Basically giving each eye a different spectrum tricks it into artificially adding better depth definition?
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 9:31:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
So what's the theory behind these? Basically giving each eye a different spectrum tricks it into artificially adding better depth definition?
View Quote

That's how it's been explained yeah, and if the other tube is red phosphor it tricks it even more
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 4:55:14 PM EDT
[#18]
i don't know how you do it but your really making me wish i could have swung a set of cnvg's

Link Posted: 6/15/2016 7:37:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Hah I better stop then, or not, the more cool toys you over there have the more I get to see them. I miss TheHorta!
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 1:42:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Just playing with these, if the other was red phosphor and the other was WP, it would look something like this:

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top