Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/2/2002 11:48:16 AM EDT
I just had a friend offer me his M1 Garand.
Here is what he said about it:

Springfield, marked "import" on the barrel.
Bought at Rose's (department store), which had to be at least 10 years ago.

I know he has kept it in a safe, and hasn't shot it much.

I know that is not much information, and I don't have the serial number.

Would this be worth looking at for $400?
Is this one that was made here, and re-imported after the war?
Anybody know if these would have been rebuilt,or just as is?

Thanks for any information.
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 12:51:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Blue Sky of Arlington Virginia imported thousands of M-1's and M-1 Carbines in the late 80's. They came back from Korea and were pretty worn out. The barrels had deep import markings stamped on them some people reported that they were stamped so hard the barrels were damaged. They are all U.S.G.I. parts and the M-1 is likely worth the $400.00 price tag. Since you are expecting to hear it, I'll say it. For the money your much better off buying through the CMP.
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 5:46:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Several years ago I bought a Federal Ordanance re-import M1. What re-imports rifles were are ones that Uncle Sam gave/sold cheap as foriegn aid. When that country surplused them importers here bought them, brought them over, and the law required them to stamp the importers name and address on them, some did the receiver, some did receiver and barrel. My Fed Ord was stamped on the barrel lightly and below the stock line on the right leg.

Some of these rifles were US arsenal rebuilts before they were shipped away. Some even had a fair number of National Match parts. Most will be heavily used with most parts close to worn out. My receiver has some pitting along the top and front of the receiver. And the barrel was just shot out. I could insert a loaded .30-06 cartridge into the muzzle all the way to the case neck. But hey, I only paid $150 for the rifle. The only time I was ever in the right place at the right time with the cash.

I bought a Danish parts kit for a couple hundred three years ago and had the VAR barrel and Danish bolt installed and now I have a most excellent shooter.

A good used reimport can be a good rifle or it can be junk. A CMP rifle will always be a good rifle.
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 4:03:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the replies, guys.
I just needed someone to tell me that this was not the "deal of the century".
Sounds like it's not.

I've considered CMP rifles for a while.
My club is not affiliated, so I would have to join another one, and do the high power qual.
From what I understand, the guys at the high power matches are usually glad to loan you a gun to qualify with.
It would be more hassle, but I would probably get a better gun.

The guy selling the gun is not a dunce either.
He has a class 3 license, and many, many guns.
If he is selling it for $400, then it's not a $600 gun.

Oh well, I guess it's time to join the CMP affiliated club.
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 4:47:58 AM EDT
[#4]

Oh well, I guess it's time to join the CMP affiliated club.

You sure about that?  Keep in mind the money you'll have to spend on the affiliated club membership, time finding/driving to a match they'll actually recognize, and lot's of time having to deal with the Garand Retention Program (aka CMP).  For all of that hassle, you could just buy your friend's M1 and put a little money into it.  For $275 Fulton Armory (www.fulton-armory.com) will do a complete inspection and rebarrel (they'll even do it in 308 for the same price!) your friend's M1.  If you shoot a lot, the ammo savings of 308 vs 30-06 could pay for the conversion.  For another $100, they'll completely repark it.  I'm sure there are others that will do it more cheaply, but they would be my first choise.  If you're the DIY type, they have Danish barrels for $80.  It would also be much faster than the CMP.  Don't give-up on the rifle so easily.

If it's a real GI receiver and in passable condition, I know someone in north-west SC that would love to find one at that price.  It's my great-nephew, and he even almost bought a CAI M1 for that price before I was able to talk him out of it.z
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 4:54:21 AM EDT
[#5]

You sure about that? Keep in mind the money you'll have to spend on the affiliated club membership, time finding/driving to a match they'll actually recognize, and lot's of time having to deal with the Garand Retention Program (aka CMP).

zoom, it's time for you to stop telling this dumb story. I've followed this BS for about a year now and as usual, there's not an element of reality in its telling. I will say that your version has remained remarkably unchanged, but still untrue. Time to give it up.
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 5:58:44 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

You sure about that? Keep in mind the money you'll have to spend on the affiliated club membership, time finding/driving to a match they'll actually recognize, and lot's of time having to deal with the Garand Retention Program (aka CMP).

zoom, it's time for you to stop telling this dumb story. I've followed this BS for about a year now and as usual, there's not an element of reality in its telling. I will say that your version has remained remarkably unchanged, but still untrue. Time to give it up.

What's not true about it?
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 7:46:54 AM EDT
[#7]

What's not true about it?

It's always the same BS. "The CMP's mean to us. They won't sell us a rifle. They won't tell us which matches are sanctioned. Down at Billy Joe Fred's Bait Shop & Gun Repair, they said if we shot rats with them after dark it was good and I believe 'em. The CMP just keeps on returning the application. Blah, blah, blah, whine, whine, whine, snivel, snivel, snivel, etc."

I've had enough. If zoom has problems with the CMP, then he needs to resolve them instead of the constant whining and complaining. Why doesn't he post his list of complaints over on the Culver site? Orest Michaels (CMP's man on the scene) participates over there on an almost constant basis. I'd imagine zoom would be taken to task over his claims.

There is a complete list of sanctioned matches on CMP's site. Further, CMP will FIND one for you if you cannot locate a match. They are very customer service oriented and out of the thousands upon thousands of CMP customers each year, zoom is the only one telling this story.
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 7:58:29 AM EDT
[#8]
I agree with Jim Dandy... I've heard Zoom's story before.  The problem with it the last time I heard it, was that Zoom had admitted to never having called the CMP to find out what exactly was lacking!  He just took it as "oh well, they don't want to sell me/us an M1"  Never have I heard any stories similar to his.  I've been hanging out on the Culver's board in the M1 forum, and have heard NO similar stories.  The worst thing I've heard of, is a little bit of a wait because of the '03 Springfield orders put in in May.

If Zoom STILL hasn't gotten it straightened out, he needs to CALL them, and figure out what is wrong. I'm SURE they'll work with him to get it resolved.  

Link Posted: 7/3/2002 8:07:10 AM EDT
[#9]
zoom:

Post your complaints and troubles here. This is the board on the Culver site dedicated to Orest Michaels and other CMP officers addressing questions and complaints. If you don't post it there, then we'll all know your story is false.
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 8:09:19 AM EDT
[#10]
the cmp rifles are fine, but $400 is a fair price for a reimport in good condition. most likely it's a made-in-USA rifle given to one of our allies, who may or may not have taken care of it. give it a look-see, then decide. it's a gun, not a doll house.
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 8:34:57 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
the cmp rifles are fine, but $400 is a fair price for a reimport in good condition. most likely it's a made-in-USA rifle given to one of our allies, who may or may not have taken care of it. give it a look-see, then decide. it's a gun, not a doll house.

"BLUE SKY-ARLINGTON"....Thats what mine has stmped in the bbl....just above the gas tube.......this one was rebuilt...had all new parts and bolt.....and reconditioned reciever......it appears to have been sitting some where for 20 years and not fired....only 2 things wrong.....was a chore cleaning up the bore...and the rifling is slightly pitted.....the refinished wood is slightly undersize......I put it in ram-line plastic.....for $340....it`s a great shooter.........
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 8:45:57 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
  "BLUE SKY-ARLINGTON"....
for $340....it`s a great shooter.........

my blue sky finally came home from korea. Dec '42 rcvr, '50 bolt, '65 barrel, nm op rod, no-name stock. it's been lovingly fondled and ignored by many, many greasy-pawed GIs. now i take care of it, and it returns the favor. i try to be worthy of the rifle and those who carried it before me.
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 10:33:13 AM EDT
[#13]
I do plan on looking at the rifle before I pass on it.
The seller is a pal, and he'll probably bring some ammo and let me shoot it.
He also has a Norinco .45 that he wants $300 for, and what he says is a "really nice" Smith Corona 03-A3, that he wants $400 for.

I'm not interested in the '03, but I want to look at the other two.
No harm looking, maybe bustin' a few caps.

Link Posted: 7/3/2002 11:15:54 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
He also has a Norinco .45 that he wants $300 for...

Good price on a good pistol. Buy it.
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 6:54:54 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
and what he says is a "really nice" Smith Corona 03-A3, that he wants $400 for.

That's not a bad price for that.  You might not be interested in it, but you could probably buy it for $400 and re-sell it for a profit.  Might even find out you don't want to part with it.
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 7:24:11 PM EDT
[#16]
I wouldn't pass by a Garand just because it's been imported back home. Here's my Blue Sky M1 Garand:

I bought this from a friend for $300. He had refinished the stock. Otherwise, it's in decent condition and is a good shooter. Looks like it probably sat in a Korean armory for 30 years. If I were to have it rebarrelled, no one could tell the difference between it and a CMP Garand.
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 4:27:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Boomer,
That is one sweet lookin' rifle!

As for the Norinco, I want it.
I'm thinking I would like to pick up the M1 and the Norinco, if both are in passable condition, but we may have to skip supper for a few.....
weeks.
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 11:22:37 AM EDT
[#18]
The last cmp rifle I looked at was pretty well used.....same rifling and pretty much the same condition,in the bore....maybe worse....that`s a springfield bbl......the win bbl had different rifling.....as boomer says...rebarrel and it`s a fine machine....or don`t and it`s still a fine machine......definitly pick up on the norinco....a few years back..a lot of people laughed at em`...now they`re wanted.....whatever works.......right folks?...P-S that blue sky looks identical to the one I picked up.....same color...same sling...pretty much the same stock....they must have done lots of them.....all the same
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top