Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2002 8:28:26 AM EDT
Has anyone tried this?  I've seen one good review for it, but nothing else.  The idea interests me.

400 grain 1800 fps soft point or 325 grain JHP at 1950 fps.  With the JHP, I'm thinking it may be a bit much for self-defense, but possibly good for some closer ranged hunting applications.  Opinions?
Link Posted: 9/4/2002 9:06:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/4/2002 9:20:03 AM EDT
[#2]
If you are interested in monster AR uppers like the .50 then check here too.  Similar item.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=138911&page=1

Link Posted: 9/4/2002 9:25:51 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
If you are interested in monster AR uppers like the .50 then check here too.  Similar item.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=138911&page=1

Link Posted: 9/4/2002 10:50:06 AM EDT
[#4]
I havn't tried one yet but I do have one on order. The ballistics look interesting.  And at $579 for a complete upper through Impact Guns how could one go wrong. I'll most likely use it for hunting and the like (and the occasional watermelon!). But yes, in certain tactical/self-defense situations it would be a devestating rifle. All from an AR platform -pretty impressive indeed. Everyone that I've spoken to has nothing but great things to say about it. Accuracy potential is around .75" groups at 100yrds (or so I've read). Finish also looks good w/ standard flattop and picatinny sight mount.  Any current owners have any input or pics?
Link Posted: 9/4/2002 11:22:48 AM EDT
[#5]
I have not shot the .50 Beowulf yet but if it is anything like the .458 SOCOM it is well worth the money.  I have shot the .458 but not the .50.  I am cought between which of the two to get.
Link Posted: 9/4/2002 11:27:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks to everyone for the input.  After reading that thread, I'm probably sticking to the idea of the .50 beowulf.  Seems nice and simple, but the whole idea of just using a shotgun w/ slugs is starting to appeal to me as well.  =)  

*sigh*  Just too much nice hardware out there.  Now I'm tempted to look at the AR-10 options.  

Link Posted: 9/4/2002 11:31:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Yeah, I can see why... .458 Socom seems to have better legality insofar as the banning sprees of various governments...

Also seems like the .50 Beowulf would be an easier handload... w/ bullets already available everywhere, how hard can it be to use?  

I'm really looking for a heavy tactical rifle, but not so heavy that its not handy, and the AR platform in addition to big fat bullets seems like the way to go... and the possibility of hunting with it is just a bonus.  

Then again, I also worry about the results if I were to employ this as a home defense weapon, considering its an AR, AND I'm loading it with big, fat & heavy bullets... how will that hold up in a courtroom? Then again, if I were really worried about that, why wouldn't I just buy a pump shotgun?  =)
Link Posted: 9/4/2002 12:06:02 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Also seems like the .50 Beowulf would be an easier handload... w/ bullets already available everywhere, how hard can it be to use?  

Actually, you have MANY more bullet weights and styles available in the .458 than in the .50.  from a 300gr HP all the way up to a 600gr.

Also, Corbon sells loaded .458 ammo and brass.
Link Posted: 9/4/2002 1:01:15 PM EDT
[#9]
You beat me to it, Brou.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top