Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 8/7/2005 7:34:25 AM EDT
I'm wanting to build a .50 BMG modeled after the Mauser 1918.  Is there any plans, prints , or books available to help me complete this project?
Thanks
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 11:07:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Something like this?
[ link to LARGER image ]
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 1:41:38 PM EDT
[#2]
That  type of action is something that I definitely would be interested in owning.   Any idea where it came from and/or who makes/owns it?
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 1:43:32 PM EDT
[#3]
It's a Mauser M1918 AT Rifle action.  No idea where you can find one, but some are out there.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 2:13:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Thats it.  I would like to build a rifle that looks  like it using a M2 barrel.  
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:39:45 PM EDT
[#5]
LOL, for a moment there I thought I was looking at an Armalite AR50 in the background but it's gotta be an AR30.

ROTFLMAO, that had me really wondering "HOW DAMN BIG IS THAT THING".
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:18:22 AM EDT
[#6]
An  unmodified 1918 (the one in the pic is not totally original) is 66" long, barrel length 38.7", and is 39lbs.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:53:53 AM EDT
[#7]
That rifle has more recoil than any other I've fired.  It is super heavy, but has no muzzle brake.   You have to shoot it from sitting (hence the custom "tripod") and it literally pushes you backward over 1 foot when fired.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 9:55:51 AM EDT
[#8]
UG,
You can tell it's an AR-30 by the stock.

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 10:57:04 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
UG,
You can tell it's an AR-30 by the stock.

Agreed, but at first glance it looks like an AR50 if you are under the assumption that the picture was taken at something like an Angeles 50cal. get together.

I knew it was a AR30 after re-evaluating the picture but it had me going for a few seconds there.

If I hadn't made up my mind to go the ALS route I likely would have gotten an AR50 before the cali-ban.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:06:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Speaking of the ASR shoots, we're gonna have to get you down here one of these Sunday's.

Maybe out to the "other" shoot also, next one is in Oct.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 12:34:01 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
That rifle has more recoil than any other I've fired.  It is super heavy, but has no muzzle brake.   You have to shoot it from sitting (hence the custom "tripod") and it literally pushes you backward over 1 foot when fired.

that thing hurts my shoulder just looking at it!
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:31:42 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Speaking of the ASR shoots, we're gonna have to get you down here one of these Sunday's.

Maybe out to the "other" shoot also, next one is in Oct.

I will come down one of these days but only once I get a significant amount of 750grn Amax loads built up to be ASR friendly.    I'm not gonna pay their prices for ammo and I want to escape the range nazi magnent lady.

Everything I'm shooting currently is 700grn AP, good enough for plinking around here out to 800 yards or so and I am fortunate enough to have access to that kind of range within 25-30 minute's drive.   I usually stop off to go shooting at my spot on the way to the beach which is only a 5 minute drive off the main road.

I plan on testing the accuracy on the ALS upper assembly soon and seeing what some 750grn Amaxes can do once I have a rough baseline of come-ups out to 800-1k yards while using the 700grn AP bullets, don't want to go wasting 750grn Amaxes if I don't have to or atleast go about having an educated guess as to where they will print within a few MOA.     Really want to load some match ammo, the damn test group from Darran ran at .47 inches for 3 shots at 100 yards.

I also want to try some Barnes solids but I'm not sure how they will shoot.

I would be very interested in the "other" shoot if it is in the desert to get some extreme range putting 4x8 sheets of plywood down range around the 1800 yard mark.    I am going to be taking vacation from work in coming weeks and I could possibly put off some of it for October, was gonna take a week in either late Sept or early Oct and I have 4 floater days to burn up by sometime in October as well.

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:02:49 PM EDT
[#13]
The Oct. shoot is the 14th-16th in the desert.

Darin just ran off 20,000 brass projo's in the M33 profile, if you want to try out a few here's the prices.

100 or less .75 cents each
100+ to 500 .70 cents each
500+ to 1000 .67 cents each
2500 or more .65 cents each

He has to charge sales tax on these for "we" Kali people. Tax = 7.75%

In case you don't have my email addy it's [email protected]
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:13:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Darin is the guy on Biggerhammer that's done other runs of these in the past right?

The board is such a mess over there that I only hit it maybe once a week to try to keep moderately on top of things.    I knew he was talking about making another run of bullets.     What's the actual weight on a solid brass projectile with the M33 profile and how does it shoot from a barrel compared to copper jackets with regards to wear&tear as well as clean up?

The one down side to the ALS upper in my opinion is that if one day the 50BMG goes to the NFA list, small guys like ALS will shut down and then the chances of getting the barrel replaced after it wears out will be much more difficult.     For that reason I wish I went with an Armalite AR50 so I'd have a product that is more likely to be supported for the long time by a major manufacturer as well as custom shops.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:52:02 PM EDT
[#15]
I found 2 of them BIG 1918 Mausers.  5K each.

http://www.ucollect.com/products/?category_id=207
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:53:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Yep, Darin from Biggerhammer.

Not much info on the projo's as they're fresh off the press.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:04:48 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
The Oct. shoot is the 14th-16th in the desert.

Darin just ran off 20,000 brass projo's in the M33 profile, if you want to try out a few here's the prices.

100 or less .75 cents each
100+ to 500 .70 cents each
500+ to 1000 .67 cents each
2500 or more .65 cents each

He has to charge sales tax on these for "we" Kali people. Tax = 7.75%

In case you don't have my email addy it's [email protected]

This is tha same Darin that makes the Mono-Pod for the Barrett and Bi Pod and mnono Pod for the AR50??
Please let me know.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:30:28 AM EDT
[#18]
KLM66,
Yes, it's Darin a.k.a Prince50. He's at Sturgis right now doing a little riding and should be back within a week. As soon as he gets back I'll tell him to send some info on the projo's such as the weight.

I know he said he was going to come out to the monthly shoot with some of the bullets, that way the guys in our group wouldn't have to pay shipping.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top