Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/9/2011 8:25:09 PM EDT
Is it possible?

seeing that .45 super brass is as hard to get a hold of as a straight answer out of the Obama administration, is it possible to make .45 super brass out of .308 brass?

if so how hot do you think the .308 brass could be loaded to,  same level as .45 super pressures? (I am making an assumption that it could.)
Link Posted: 11/9/2011 8:43:59 PM EDT
[#1]
12/01 Starline Brass should have it back in stock, if that helps

Link Posted: 11/9/2011 8:45:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I have done this in the past, ( it's a pain in the ass)  I turned the ID down so the bullet will go in
messed a few up ..  in the end  .  It Was A pain in the ass...  but can be done..
Link Posted: 11/10/2011 6:58:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Cut and ream to size.

A real PITA (and I make plenty of brass for obsolete cartridges).
Link Posted: 11/11/2011 5:54:07 PM EDT
[#4]
It's not hard, but it takes a few steps.

Cut your 308 or 30-06 brass to length. A jig saw is the best way to go (and a handy tool for your shop).

Inside neck ream. A trick I learned: fill a bottle cap with cutting oil/machinists oil. Dip the case mouth into the oil, and then ream.
The failure to use cutting oil is why case reaming often goes wrong.

Clean. Tumble. Anneal.

You're done.
Link Posted: 11/11/2011 6:38:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/11/2011 7:32:49 PM EDT
[#6]
I like the one by Forester, but lots of reloading companies make them.

BTW, we are speaking of inside neck reaming in this case. Forester (and others) make the appropriate sized reamers/cutters which will remove brass from the inside of the case mouth.

I connect a power driver  to my reamer, which is much improved over using the tiny hand crank that comes with it.
Any power drill will work too, by using the attachment Forester makes for this purpose.

Again, use cutting oil, just like you would with any metal lathe.
Link Posted: 11/11/2011 8:26:36 PM EDT
[#7]
From Starline's website: 45 Super Brass (Large Pistol primer) .892"-.897" O.A.L. (Backordered expected availability: 12/01/2011 )
Link Posted: 11/12/2011 4:22:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/12/2011 7:06:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Thanks for the reamer info.

Another question on 45 Super.

Is it a different chambering from 45 ACP, longer case perhaps?

Or just a 45 ACP chamber with stronger brass and more powder, pressure and velocity than 45 ACP?

From wiki

"The .45 Super is a smokeless powder center fire metallic firearm cartridge developed in 1988 by Dean Grennell, a well-known writer in the firearms field as well as managing editor of Gun World magazine.[1][2] Born of a desire to update and improve the 1906 era .45 ACP, the .45 Super cartridge is dimensionally identical with the older .45 round, but offers an average 300 foot per second (ft/s) improvement in muzzle velocity.[3] The cartridge was co-developed by Tom Fergerson and Ace Hindman.[4]"

"As it was originally designed for lower pressures, the .45 ACP case has relatively thin walls and weak case head and web specifications; it can’t reliably contain increased pressures. The layout of most M1911 pistols' chambers presents yet another challenge in that the case head is not fully supported in the cartridge feed ramp area;[1] pushing the envelope in this critical area with too much pressure risks a catastrophic failure, resulting in a case bursting in the chamber.[5] To rule out such a dangerous possibility, Grennell chose to use brass formed from the stronger and more modern .451 Detonics, shortened to the overall length of the .45 ACP design.[1] Support for the case head was also addressed by adopting a new chamber and barrel design which reinforces the base area of the case."

Not to be confused with the 45 Win mag

"The .45 Winchester Magnum is a .45 caliber rimless cartridge intended for use in semiautomatic pistols. The cartridge is a stretched version of the .45 Auto with additional strengthening in the web area to accommodate the higher operating pressure."
Link Posted: 11/12/2011 10:52:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Here is some info I found when I was looking into the 45super.  While it doesn't answer the OP question, I hope it answers the other questions asked.

http://www.realguns.com/archives/020.htm

Link Posted: 11/12/2011 6:22:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top