Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2002 8:02:29 PM EDT
Does anyone know how to get a .45 (1911) to eject out to the side, instead of straight back? I'm getting tired of those little buggers taggin' me in the forehead.

coyote3
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 8:24:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Try adjusting extractor tension.
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 10:00:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Or you could try the home boy method of holding the gun sideways when you shoot?  >gg<
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 5:07:59 AM EDT
[#3]
The angle of ejection is controlled by the extractor and the ejector.  You might need to change the length and face angle of your ejector, but it's hard to say without seeing it.
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 6:08:59 AM EDT
[#4]
The time-accepted remedy among 1911 smiths is to first remove the slide from the frame and insert an empty under the extractor hook and against the breechface to check the extractor fit.  The hook "slot" should contact the case extractor rim with very slight force, and most out of box extractors need the slot cut a bit deeper so that the case rim barely touches the bottom of the extractor slot.  Ideally, the empty should hang loosely, sorta tilting forward and down.   Too much tension, or force of the extractor against the case rim will hold the case firmly against the breechface and cause the vertical ejection what you describe.  

In addition, some 1911 smiths also grind away some of the bulge halfway back the extractor, reducing its diameter to allow the extractor to flex more.  

A third modification is to gently round the bottom corner edge of the extractor hook and polish the hook face, edge, and slot afterward.  

I usually do all three and the empties fall in a pile 18" in diameter about four feet to the right and two or three feet back.  I've modified maybe 20 or 24 1911s and clones with the same positive results.

Opening up the ejection port to that of Gold Cup dimensions will help, but not without the above extractor mods first.  The port modification downside is needing to refinish the edge of the port where the 1/8" or so of metal was removed from the bottom edge of the port.

Noah
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 3:54:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Looks like I'll be doing some work on the extractor. Definitely too much tension! The extractor bore is also slightly undersize and removing the extractor itself was a PITA. The bore was .205" and I believe it should be .209". While I have it out, might as well give it some TLC as noah mentioned. Should be able to test it again Saturday.

Thanks guys, except you BC. If I try the HomeBoy method, I'll probably have cases hitting me in the ear![>(]

coyote3
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 2:41:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Took the .45 to the range today, after I got the extractor all squared away. Worked great, thanks for the help, guys!

coyote3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top