Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/8/2004 9:13:43 AM EDT
I'm thinking about going squaril hunting this weekend and was wondering if a .410 would be ok to shot them with or should I go to a 12ga.  The big jump in size is because I only have a .410 and a 12ga.  A friend of mine told me that a .410 will just sting the squaril.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 9:23:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 10:28:07 AM EDT
[#2]
When squirel hunting the only two things I use are a sideXside .410 with #6 shot or a .32cal smoke-pole. They are not that hard to kill, and I use 3" shells in case I need to reach out a bit.  

I hope that helps.

Tony
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 10:47:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Thank ya'll.  I thought a .410 would be ok.  Now all I have to do is get my hunting license.

Chris
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 11:29:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Dude, I LOVE squirrel hunting with a single shot .410 that my Dad got me when I was 9 years old.
It's a Brazilian made (Rossi maybe?) one that he bought at TG&Y.

It throws a long, narrow shot string so you HAVE to know where it hits.  Pattern it on a big piece of cardboard at about 20 yards to see if your shotgun hits high, low, left, right, whatever, then hold accordingly when firing.  The long shot column also means that .410s have a pretty respectable effective range.

#6 shot patterns best out of my .410.  They are light, handy, fun little shotguns so don't leave it at home, use it!
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 3:56:55 PM EDT
[#5]
I've killed tons of squirrels and rabbits with an 870 .410 using #6's, and they have always worked very well.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 1:39:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Got my first squaril today.  I am so proud.  I ain't able to eat it though.  It is full of wolves.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top