Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/5/2009 5:13:21 AM EDT
Does anyone load .30 frangible (green/white tip) for the m1?

I think it is a slower velocity load (1300 fps) and 108 grain bullet.

Whatever powder was used in it is not in production anymore. The original specs are in the army's FM on ammo specs.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:59:28 AM EDT
[#1]
I am not sure what the bullet weight is but as it is powdered lead and bakelite, it would be lighter than the 150 gr ball or 165 gr AP rounds.  

The M22 was originally developed in WWII as the T44 round and later designated M22 and was intended to be used to train bomber crewman in ariel gunnery against actual aircraft targets. The muzzle velocity was 1320 fps at something like 50 ft, so betwene the light weight and low velocity, I doubt the ballistics were anywhere close to accurately reflecting either .30 or .50 caliber machine guns firing ball, AP or API rounds so the utility as a gunnery training tooplwas l think probably less than wonderful.  

The Bell P-63 was modified with a thicker duraluminum armored skin and was designated the RP-63C.  It was heavy and did not perform well but was pretty well suited to the task and generally did not get shot down as long as the gunners did not score hits in the carburator air intakes or cooling intakes which were protected but not with 100% reliability.  The propeller spinner incorporated a ligth that woudl flash when the airframe was struck by the frangible rounds.  I am not 100% sure how it worked but I suspect the system sensed the vibration caused by the impact on the on the airframe.  The RP-63C was consequently called the "Pinball" due to it's similarity to a pinball machine.

In short, the M22 was never intended for use in the M1 Rifle.

Barnes sells a frangible 150 gr bullet intended for indoor range, steel target, tactical training and home defense uses.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top