Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/10/2003 2:56:40 PM EDT
I usually stick to Federal Gold Match, but the only place that sells it around here is all the way across town. I wonder what would be a choice alternative. What ammo do you guys prefer and what kind of performance could I expect. Rifle is an unmodified Ruger 10/22T. Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 6:05:10 AM EDT
[#1]
I use CCI minimag almost exclusively, but that's just me. Honestly every gun is different and you should try every type of ammo you can get your hand on. Hell even two "identical" guns might not like the same ammo. If it's for plinking just about anything will do, but I shy away from Remington Golden bullets (bulk pack) and Winchester X-perts. They're full of duds and burn dirty, my Marlin model 60's don't like them either. Accuracy isn't that great and they foul up the works quickly.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 6:45:52 AM EDT
[#2]
I only use Eley Target in mine, but I have a Kimber match grade barrel on it. Like Pony_driver said, stay away from the cheap bulk packs.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 8:33:14 AM EDT
[#3]
For the price, Wolf Match is the best target ammo I've ever used. It's not easy to find, however, so I guess this doesn't help you much. As stated, Mini-Mags are very good. I shoot a lot of them and they group well in most of my guns. Winchester has the 40gr HP Power-Point, which is used primarily for small game hunting, but I've found that it shoots almost as well as most target ammo.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 3:49:49 PM EDT
[#4]
in my 10/22T for squirrel hunting i use Eley high velocity hollow points. i make consistent hits on squirrels out to 80 yards.

when i used to shoot matches i shot Eley Tenex. with an Anschutz 1813. i never measured group size, because we shot for score and not group. with iron sights at 100 yards they would stay inside 2 inches or so in the prone position. using a scope (36X Unertl),also prone, they would be under the size of a quarter. depending on winds.

tenex costs anywhere from $9-$11 a box. so it may be a little high for plinking.

Link Posted: 6/19/2003 10:03:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 12:44:57 PM EDT
[#6]
I second the CCI minimags.  Very accurate high velocity round in my 10/22 and my Rem 582.  My round of choice for relatively cheap ammo.  I have had good luck with bulk packs of Rem hps, not the Thunderbolts, what ever else they are calling it.  Remington standard velocity target(blue label) ammo is very accurate also in my rifles and pistols.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 1:32:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Well, I just got back from wallyworld. I'm gonna put some ammo to the test. I got some Winchester Super X, Remington(blue labels), some CCI minimags, and some Stingers. We'll see tomorrow who the winner is. I average between 1/2-5/8" groups@100yrds with the Federal Gold Match, so this should be interesting. I'll post results later.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 12:23:29 AM EDT
[#8]
    That's really a question that can't be answered by anyone but YOU!  Buy a box of every kind of ammo you can get your hands on... box, tray and yes, even BULK!  Punch paper (from the bench) at the ranges and atmospheric conditions you typically shoot and see what groups best.  NOTE THE LOT NUMBER of the "best of the best" and buy all you can afford.  Try your best to eliminate all variables... cleaning condition, screw tensions, cheek weld, et.al.  
    Even doing this, there is no guarantee that everything will remain "constant", but it sure as hell will help!
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 9:41:35 AM EDT
[#9]
I like CCI Green Tag. Accurate as Hell.

Not cheap at $8/100rds., but still less than a lot of other brands.

Also subsonic. My Mossberg M44 sounds like a pellet rifle using this stuff.
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 6:48:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Don't automatically discount the cheap Remongton / Winchester ammo.

Buy a box of 50 and test drive it in your gun.

I found that the Rem target ammo ($9 for a brick) shoots ALMOST as good as the Federal GM target ammo (at $27 a brick) in my Mossberg M44US.

Link Posted: 7/7/2003 7:21:11 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Well, I just got back from wallyworld. I'm gonna put some ammo to the test. I got some Winchester Super X, Remington(blue labels), some CCI minimags, and some Stingers. We'll see tomorrow who the winner is. I average between 1/2-5/8" groups@100yrds with the Federal Gold Match, so this should be interesting. I'll post results later.

Ok, the results are in. Out of all of these, the CCI minimags and the Remington Blue's tied for first with nearly identical groupings. The Stingers were second, a little bigger groups but not too bad, and the dead last looser was the Winchester Super X's. They grouped about 2 1/2 inches at 50yards.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 10:19:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Eley is the only way to go for accuracy. They make several different loads, so try them all.
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 6:29:10 AM EDT
[#13]
I've been using a lot of aguila ammo as of late. Very impressive stuff all around not just thew standard and high velocity stuff either their sub-sonic loads are great as well.
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 12:01:00 AM EDT
[#14]
I am surprised that the Winchester didn't perform better. The Winchester Power Point is the most accurate load I have tried in my 10/22. I guess that just demonstrates how different guns behave differently.
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 1:10:51 PM EDT
[#15]
CCI GREEN TAG IS SELECTED BY TESTING 'LOTS'. THUS, ONCE IN ABOUT 12 YRS I GOT SOME GREEN TAG THAT WASNT UP TO SNUFF. CCI STANDARD VELOCITY AMMO IS THE SAME AS GREEN TAG EXCEPT ITS DISPERSION IS TOO GREAT TO BE CALLED 'MATCH'.
BUT IT SHOOTS TO THE SAME ZERO.

SO, ZERO THE GUNS WITH CCI GREEN TAG AND FOR PLINKING USE CCI STANDARD VELOCITY. THE CENTER OF THE GROUP WONT CHANGE.
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 3:28:02 PM EDT
[#16]
I've used the bulk pack of Remington Golden Bullets without any trouble in my Mark 2. Also have sued some variety of CCI, not sure which ones specifically. Have shot the cci in both my Mark 2 and my 10/22
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 6:04:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Both my 10/22s prefer Winchester Power Points, but those are my guns, yours may prefer something else.  Go to your local gun shop/sporting goods store, the next gun show or down to K-Mart or Wal-Mart and buy one box of as many different brands/types of .22 ammo as you can and then go try them out in your gun.  Once you find the best shooter, buy a brick of it and use the left over brands for plinking.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top