Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/3/2010 7:46:06 AM EDT
Can anyone point me in the right direction to find some load data for a good .223 subsonic?
Thank you,
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 6:08:57 PM EDT
[#1]
55gr bullet + 3.3gr - 3.5gr of bluedot.  watch out for setback, it will cause a squib.

shot a mess of em tonight. with a can, they make an AR sound like an airgun.
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 6:53:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
55gr bullet + 3.3gr - 3.5gr of bluedot.  watch out for setback, it will cause a squib.

Subsonic 5.56 serves no useful purpose. There is no way 3.5 grains of powder makes enough gas to run the rifle. What is the point in turning an auto-loading rifle into a bolt gun?
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 9:16:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Subsonic 5.56 serves no useful purpose. There is no way 3.5 grains of powder makes enough gas to run the rifle. What is the point in turning an auto-loading rifle into a bolt gun?

Maybe he doesnt have a bolt gun.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 6:31:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not that I have much need for such a capability, but I understand that some folks like sub 5.56 b/c they can go from subsonic to conventional 5.56 simply by changing a magazine (or loading the top round or two only with subsonic) rather than switching uppers/internals, which is what you have to do shooting 22lr if you want to switch.  

In theory, even if you have manually cycle (which you do with sub 5.56), you have a few near silent shots and then can back to full power with little down time.  Like I said, I don't have much need for it, but that's the argument for them as I understand it.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 6:46:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because shooting them in 'Bolt action" mode is SUPER quiet!!  and its just too much fun when yer AR sounds like an air rifle.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 6:51:30 AM EDT
[#6]
I totally agree... it is to much fun! i am shooting .308 out of my M1A and all i hear is the hammer strike and the bullet hitting the target! try it, you like it!
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 7:11:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Reading is fundamental. OP never sad that the rounds were for an AR. Nobody makes .223 bolt guns, right? Besides, subsonic rounds are very quiet from an AR in "bolt mode".

4.5g Trailboss under a 75 grain Hornaday works for me.

Link Posted: 6/3/2010 9:58:48 AM EDT
[#8]
trail boss is your friend.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 11:05:52 AM EDT
[#9]
I use 3.1 of Titegroup with a 55 grain fmj.  It's awesome with a can.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 11:09:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 1:11:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Just out of curiosity, what does one of these subsonic loads sound like without a can?  I mean, you've still got 3.something grains of powder going off, albeit in a long barrel.

Sounds like a 22 muzzle blast without the sonic crack.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 5:07:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just out of curiosity, what does one of these subsonic loads sound like without a can?  I mean, you've still got 3.something grains of powder going off, albeit in a long barrel.

Sounds like a 22 muzzle blast without the sonic crack.

I'd say almost even quieter than a 22lr.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top