Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/10/2014 12:16:46 AM EDT
I'd like to practice with my Garand a lot but I'm concerned about the price of .30-06. I reload 5.56 so I'm wondering what is yall's cheapest .30-06 reload?
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 1:06:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Around $0.25 a round using pulled bullets and used brass.

Bullet (pulled M2) = $.06
Primer = $.03
Powder = $.16
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 1:31:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Where are you getting those pulled M2 bullets?
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 2:30:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I used to get them from Hi-Tec Ammo, but they've been out for a while.
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 5:19:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Wish I could find some bullets that cheap!
My cheapest load is using M80 FMJ which I get for about $0.16 each. This is a bolt action 30-06 not a Garand or anything, I have considered getting some cast bullets to shoot for range time but I prefer jacketed bullets.
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 6:57:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The last time I saw them at Hi-Tech (either Jan or Feb) they were $140/k plus shipping.  I'd say a better guess would be $.16 for the projectile.

Projectile --  $ .16
Powder  --      .14  (IMR 4064)
Primer  --        .03

Total  --  $0.33

YMMV.  
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 9:21:09 AM EDT
[#6]
projectile $0 .12 evergalds ammunition plated 150g
powder $0.14 w760
primer $0.03 WLR

have a lot of " free " brass
I shoot 30 06 out of my bolt ruger American rifle
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 9:54:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
powder $0.14 w760
primer $0.03 WLR

View Quote

How fast are you pushing those plated bullets? I have considered getting some but the little bit of reading I did points toward issues when pushing plated bullets to around 2000fps, which is why I stick with the jacketed (higher velocity, no scope adjustments).
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 10:12:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 11:23:58 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

powder $0.14 w760

primer $0.03 WLR

View Quote

Winchester W760 is NOT recommended for M1 Garand type loads as it is designed to achieve higher velocities and higher pressures than the M1's op rod was designed to take in the large cased 30-06 round. W760 was designed for bolt guns like the Winchester Model 70 which can take advantage of the large case volume and with a 150grn bullet take a 57.0grn charge vs a 48.0grn - 51.5grn charge in a bolt gun with W748.  Winchester's W748 is the recommended Winchester powder for the M1 Garand level 147-150grn bullet loads with a max of 48.0grn charges for velocities at 2,810fps in commercial cases.

Check out these powders and recommended M1 Garand load levels.
ETA:  However, note the caution at the bottom of the linked page concerning the differences between commercial and military brass.  The loads listed are assuming commercial brass and must be reduced if using military brass.

I use surplus 147grn M80 bullets from .308 rounds in both my M1 Garands and my M1A and load them at military levels to ensure I don't do damage to any of my rifles.  My preferred powder is W748 as I load on a Dillon 650 where ball powders work best, and I load them for 29¢ per round.

Link Posted: 3/10/2014 11:38:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Winchester W760 is NOT recommended for M1 Garand type loads as it is designed to achieve higher velocities and higher pressures than the M1's op rod was designed to take in the large cased 30-06 round. W760 was designed for bolt guns like the Winchester Model 70 which can take advantage of the large case volume and with a 150grn bullet take a 57.0grn charge vs a 48.0grn - 51.5grn charge in a bolt gun with W748.  Winchester's W748 is the recommended Winchester powder for the M1 Garand level 147-150grn bullet loads with a max of 48.0grn charges for velocities at 2,810fps in commercial cases.

ETA:  However, note the caution at the bottom of the linked page concerning the differences between commercial and military brass.  The loads listed are assuming commercial brass and must be reduced if using military brass.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
powder $0.14 w760
primer $0.03 WLR

Actually I'm kind of curious about his load.  Is this some kind of Garand reduced load?  With a small powder charge pushing the plated bullet slow enough to work well, and with a slow powder used, to still have enough pressure at the port to cycle the Garand?  Interesting. ..
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 2:58:24 PM EDT
[#11]
311299 with Gas Check  .035
33 grains Varget                      .12
Primer                                       .035
There, nineteen cents
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 6:23:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The last time I saw them at Hi-Tech (either Jan or Feb) they were $140/k plus shipping.  I'd say a better guess would be $.16 for the projectile.

Projectile --  $ .16
Primer  --        .03

Total  --  $0.33

YMMV.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Projectile --  $ .16
Primer  --        .03

Total  --  $0.33

YMMV.  

Yes, I bought 5K a few years ago.  I'm working on my last 1K now and I'm sure I'm in for a shock when it comes time to buy again.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 6:36:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Projectile --  $ .16
Primer  --        .03

Total  --  $0.33

Yes, I bought 5K a few years ago.  I'm working on my last 1K now and I'm sure I'm in for a shock when it comes time to buy again.

YMMV.  

Obviously there has been a lot of demand for components, but I think the popularity of the 300 blackout has increased the demand for these bullets.  I wish I would've bought 5k in 2012 before everything went nuts!  
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 8:32:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the replys everyone. So I can count on <.35 cents per round then. I have a Garand gear gas plug so I can shoot any kind of ammo through my Garand safely.
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 3:10:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Thanks for the replys everyone. So I can count on <.35 cents per round then. I have a Garand gear gas plug so I can shoot any kind of ammo through my Garand safely.
View Quote

I wouldn't say you could count on it (unless you're using lead or something), but it's certainly achievable.
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 3:31:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah, inquiring minds want to know.
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 4:41:52 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Obviously there has been a lot of demand for components, but I think the popularity of the 300 blackout has increased the demand for these bullets.  I wish I would've bought 5k in 2012 before everything went nuts!  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Projectile --  $ .16
Primer  --        .03

Total  --  $0.33

YMMV.  

That makes sense.  The boat tailed bullets don't shoot very well in my rifle and Hi-Tec had the M2 bullets in bulk for a great price.  Now I wish I had bought another 5K back in '06 or '07.  
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 5:12:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Powder-55g surplus WC867 from widener's~ $70/8lb with hazmat/ shipping
My own 180gr cast boolits, gas checks~ .03 ea
Primers .03

That would be higher math for me but its cheap any way you slice it.
Dunno if it would beat up a garand oprod though.
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 5:57:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
How fast are you pushing those plated bullets? I have considered getting some but the little bit of reading I did points toward issues when pushing plated bullets to around 2000fps, which is why I stick with the jacketed (higher velocity, no scope adjustments).
View Quote

Exactly 30-06 around 2000fps is too fast for plated bullets IMHO.

Vince
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 6:27:56 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Vince
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Vince

The plated bullets built for rifle calibers are also built for their velocities.  In fact, the pistol bullets do well considerably above the 1,200fps recommended by the manufactures when loaded correctly.  

I've shot thousands of  40/10mm 165 and 180grn Berrys, Rainier, and X-Treme plated bullets in my G20L at velocities at and above 1,500fps, thousands 110grn 30 Carbine  Rainier and X-Treme plated bullets above 1,900fps in 2 M1 Carbines, thousands of 357mag Berrys and X-Treme plated bullets at and above 1,900fps in 2 Rossi leverguns, and recently dozens of 150grn 30-30 X-Treme plated bullets in my Mossberg 464 at 2,300fps with excellent results; no plating shedding and good field accuracy.  

Further, I've shot hundreds of handloaded Speer Gold Dots (yep, their plated bullets) at and above 1,400fps with excellent results too.  Bottom line is that if you handload them correctly, they perform just fine.

Link Posted: 3/11/2014 7:09:05 AM EDT
[#21]
I go to CMP shoots and offer guys $.10 cents a piece for their brass. I usually get 3-4 guys to sell.
I also get free brass sometimes when I work or go to the range.

Bought powder awhile back for cheap, call it $.04 cents.

Also, cheap primers. $.03 cents.

Cheap pulls also bought awhile back. $.10 cents.

Roughly $.20-.25 cents considering the cost offset of free brass.

I agree with the comment that .300 BLK is cutting into the .30 component pipeline.
It's one of the reasons I don't get into it, as its hard enough to find things to keep the Garand going.
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 8:22:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I go to CMP shoots and offer guys $.10 cents a piece for their brass. I usually get 3-4 guys to sell.
I also get free brass sometimes when I work or go to the range.

Bought powder awhile back for cheap, call it $.04 cents.

Also, cheap primers. $.03 cents.

Cheap pulls also bought awhile back. $.10 cents.

Roughly $.20-.25 cents considering the cost offset of free brass.

I agree with the comment that .300 BLK is cutting into the .30 component pipeline.
It's one of the reasons I don't get into it, as its hard enough to find things to keep the Garand going.
View Quote

Man, next time i'm at a match, I'll happily let someone pick up my 30-06 brass for a dime a piece.  Worth a bit more then that, but I have buckets of it.  - and happy to help a brother so in need he's willing to pay!

As to .300 BLK - I seriously doubt there's significant enough consumption of that relatively exotic round, compared to normal commerical rounds like 30-06, .308, etc to be making a notable dent in the supply chain.  

I do remember10 cent bullet pulls not that  long ago at all.  Today though, i think those are gone for good.
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 1:25:46 PM EDT
[#23]
I can get away a lot cheaper than most posted with home cast bullets but they defiantly will not work the action. Then even cheaper if you want sub-sonic.
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 4:53:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Actually I'm kind of curious about his load.  Is this some kind of Garand reduced load?  With a small powder charge pushing the plated bullet slow enough to work well, and with a slow powder used, to still have enough pressure at the port to cycle the Garand?  Interesting. ..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
powder $0.14 w760
primer $0.03 WLR

54 grains is my load I have shot through my bolt gun
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 5:39:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top